Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Time Dissolver posted:

Why have goons been harping on this so hard lately? What is with these bouts of faddish wisdom that go around? Spectacle doesn't go away as you age, it's just different things that push the awe buttons.

"I watch spaceship movies like an ADULT but you watch spaceship movies like a CHILD" has been going on for a while though. Because constantly talking about how grown-up you are is definitely something real adults do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

maybe you need an outdoor hobby.

You literally have twenty times the posts-per-day I do.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Clipperton posted:

"I watch spaceship movies like an ADULT but you watch spaceship movies like a CHILD" has been going on for a while though. Because constantly talking about how grown-up you are is definitely something real adults do

No one has been saying that doing this or that makes you grown up. It's a difference between an in-depth reading and a surface level reading, and while the latter is what lots of kids participate in, it's also where lots of adults spend their time.

If people are childish, it's because they're trying (and failing) to recapture that magic they had as a child. It's not because they don't engage with the material.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

No one has been saying that doing this or that makes you grown up. It's a difference between an in-depth reading and a surface level reading, and while the latter is what lots of kids participate in, it's also where lots of adults spend their time.

If people are childish, it's because they're trying (and failing) to recapture that magic they had as a child. It's not because they don't engage with the material.

I recapture that magic every day dude. I still cry at the end of Watership Down, every time.

I'll take that over half-assed 'readings' and trite observations any day

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I don't think the issue is as black or white as some are making it out to be. I know for myself I have a bunch of different mindsets that I could potentially go into a movie with, and it depends mostly on practical stuff like how tired I am or if I've been having a good day. Just because I'm physically and mentally exhausted, and therefore would rather just enjoy an action flick on a surface level, that doesn't mean I'm childish or immature. Other times I'm in the mood to really dig into a film and dissect it, but I don't think that puts me above anyone else.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Clipperton posted:

I recapture that magic every day dude. I still cry at the end of Watership Down, every time.

I'll take that over half-assed 'readings' and trite observations any day

You'll have to tell me about the spaceships in Watership Down.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Why have goons been harping on this so hard lately? What is with these bouts of faddish wisdom that go around? Spectacle doesn't go away as you age, it's just different things that push the awe buttons.

Because of what this year's biggest movies happen to be. Every time there's an announcement about the Star Wars film, the thread sees an influx of people who don't post here much but fall all over themselves telling everyone how excited they are about how the new trailer looks like what they saw when they were 7 and how dare anyone like the prequels or think they are good. A similar thing happened when Jurassic World came out: a bunch of drive-by posters were very mad when a few regulars here challenged them to think about the film as anything other than two hours' entertainment, and their responses were variantions on POPCORN MOVIE and TURN OFF YOUR BRAIN and MY CHILDHOOD.

So "watch movies like an adult" is a direct response to that attitude and is shorthand for "have some sophistication when consuming media because it can allow you to understand and enjoy it more fully". It's not a new sentiment at all, it's just highly relevant this year.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

So "watch movies like an adult" is a direct response to that attitude and is shorthand for "have some sophistication when consuming media because it can allow you to understand and enjoy it more fully". It's not a new sentiment at all, it's just highly relevant this year.

How do you know you're enjoying it more than the turn-your-brain-off people? Did you measure their brainwaves or something?

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yes, I've embedded chips in everyone's brain that measures enjoyment and sexual arousal while watching movies. Keep an eye on BuzzFeed next month for when I name the 17 Sexiest Movie Characters Nobody Will Admit To Being Turned On By.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Clipperton posted:

How do you know you're enjoying it more than the turn-your-brain-off people? Did you measure their brainwaves or something?

if you learn how to have fun and appreciate life you get extra ways you can enjoy things, you don't lose all the old ones.

most of the other ways to enjoy movies are a lot less fragile and easily ruined than hoping for a total information blackout or the perfect zenlike state of blankness to receive sweet stunts, if you can enjoy Jurassic Park or whatever on a technical or symbolic or whoa-did-you-see-that-raptor level rather than fretting about the pure experience seeing a post on the cuck a tranny I'm gay forum last week has taken away from you, you will have the power to enjoy the movie under any conditions and realize that what the forum post took from you was actually nothing at all.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

if you learn how to have fun and appreciate life you get extra ways you can enjoy things, you don't lose all the old ones.

Way to beg the exact question we're supposed to be discussing itt

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

what the forum post took from you was actually nothing at all.

Even better - what the lovely forum post took from you was the very fantasy that the experience you desired was worth having.

Spoilerposting is christlike. Speaking of which, Jesus dies.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This thread is very confusing. I went into Jurassic World blind, and the movie complete trash. Are we talking about spoilers or what makes a movie or how people watch it or how much they enjoy it?

It is so god drat easy to avoid any knowledge about a movie, I made you a check list.

1. Do you want to see this movie blind?

Yes: Don't go into the thread
No: go into the thread

2. Do you not know you would like the movie
Yes: go into the thread don't read spoilers, read reviews
No: Do whatever you want

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I almost never care about spoilers unless I really don't want to know what's coming or want to go into it 'fresh' but even then if I read one or something I either forget I did or it doesn't really matter unless it gives away the whole movie or something. And even then, like with Terminator's trailer, it didn't matter because it made it look like poo poo when it wasn't.

Hbomberguy posted:

Even better - what the lovely forum post took from you was the very fantasy that the experience you desired was worth having.

Spoilerposting is christlike. Speaking of which, Jesus dies.

Heh, someone didn't get to the end. :smug:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

RBA Starblade posted:

Heh, someone didn't get to the end. :smug:

He was the first zombie.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tenzarin posted:

Are we talking about spoilers or what makes a movie or how people watch it or how much they enjoy it?

We're talking about whether ARGH SPOILERS is a useful mentality to have and dipping into "What are the point of films" as a way of answering the initial question.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can't answer a question with another question, this is not Jeopardy! Boom two spoilers!

rvm
May 6, 2013
The only problem I have with spoiler paranoia is reviews. It's okay if a review is two-parter - a quick summary and a general evaluation of sorts followed by an in-depth analysis of the work without consideration for spoilers, but usually it's either just the former stretched to an unreasonable length or some kind of a strange text that reads like the lamest SCP entry.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

This thread is very confusing. I went into Jurassic World blind, and the movie complete trash. Are we talking about spoilers or what makes a movie or how people watch it or how much they enjoy it?

It is so god drat easy to avoid any knowledge about a movie, I made you a check list.

1. Do you want to see this movie blind?

Yes: Don't go into the thread
No: go into the thread

2. Do you not know you would like the movie
Yes: go into the thread don't read spoilers, read reviews
No: Do whatever you want

tbf while it is something people whine an incredible amount about this thread was not specifically inspired by the crime of people discussing a movie in a conversation specifically about that movie, but rather people seeing out-of-context mentions of which characters get stabbed in a movie based on a ten-year-old fantasy novel while browsing the hatespeech meme forum and being extremely offended that the mods did not care.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This reminds me of a twitter account @savedyouaclick revealing whether Tony Soprano dies at the end of the show, which was hidden at the end of a 5000 word longread. The Verge flipped out and accused him of this:

quote:

It is bullshit because he didn't save anyone a click at all — he stole an experience. That story is great. It is absolutely worth the click. Arguing that it's not because the headline is phrased in the form of a question is reductive to the point of absurdity, just like arguing against lists or quizzes or gifs or any specific form of art is absurd. Rock music. Horror movies. A generation raised on rebellion has grown up to instead police the web pages of the larger internet from the wide-ranging terrorism of mild curiosity. We are all of us the Tipper Gore of clickbait headlines. Parental advisory: viral content.

Saved you a click is a joke that's over, just as all jokes-of-a-moment eventually turn into the cloying aftertaste of unimportance. It's a joke that's turned into a crusade in the name of formalism; a series of sad internet book reports insisting that there's no room for depth behind the binary series of yes / no answers haunting every thoughtful person's wettest nightmares.

Fighting against the idea of stories that begin with questions is to insist that we live in a world without any suspense, in which even contemplating the existence of two possibilities before lightly tapping a small button to reveal the answer is somehow an affront to good taste that must be stamped out. Meanwhile, everyone else is just enjoying a small taste of freedom at work.

You know what saving that click really stole from you? The chance to read this, Nochimson's brilliant final line about Tony Soprano: "It's not whether a character dies on screen that is at stake, but whether we die to our own capacity for wonder."

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/27/6075535/are-you-proud-of-yourself-savedyouaclick-question-mark-nope

Experience thief!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

quote:

It is bullshit because he didn't save anyone a click at all — he stole an experience.

Is honestly one of my favorite quotes of all time. It's so drat funny!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So a guy who "saves a click" spoiled something? What were they expecting from something that spoils stuff, coupons? Are you going to try to tell me my healthcare isn't free?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 30, 2015

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Tenzarin posted:

So a guy who "saves a click" spoiled something? What were they expecting from something that spoils stuf,f coupons? Are you going to try to tell me my healthcare isn't free?

Amazon's one-click buying spoils the e-business experience

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

We're talking about whether ARGH SPOILERS is a useful mentality to have and dipping into "What are the point of films" as a way of answering the initial question.

Giving away the twist in a movie that includes a major twist makes watching the movie less interesting and makes re-watching it less interesting.
Is anyone actually arguing major spoilers like this are bad?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

If I was able to tell you the date of your death, and did so, would it affect how you live your life? "Nah man, I am not some weak womanly irrational creature of destructive emotionality, I am smart and intellectual with a non-feeling mind honed obsidian-sharp from thinking hard about everything all the time but never ever feeling anything, nosirree"

Taken at face value this is the worst post I have ever read on these forums. Taken as a weak trolling effort it's still worse than a goatman banme post.

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
There are some things where spoilers don't really matter, but I really do enjoy being surprised and also the feeling of not knowing where things are going. There's plenty of stories where that feeling isn't one of the main reasons to watch something, but there are definitely cases where it is.

Some example off of the top of my head:
-Circumstances of Hannibal's capture in the show Hannibal (while the fact that it happens isn't a terrible spoiler)
-Some of the left field twists in the Song of Ice and Fire books (the show wouldn't feel the same way)
-First time watching Carnivale, knowing literally nothing other than "there's a Carnival and some mystical stuff"
-Watching Sorcerer only knowing that it was the director's movie after Excorcist (not even knowing the premise)

Interestingly, only one of those is from a movie, and not really intentional.

One of my favorite recent movies is Mad Max: Fury Road. Could this movie have been spoiled? I would say yes, but not by telling me the plot. The first time I watched it, I was just amazed by how overwhelming the movie was. If some of those more ridiculous moments had been spoiled for me, I wouldn't have had the same feeling.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Pascallion posted:

-Watching Sorcerer only knowing that it was the director's movie after Excorcist (not even knowing the premise)

Have I got a spoiler for you!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There is a certain pleasure in seeing something in a movie that you absolutely did not expect. Nobody would bother writing plot twists if there weren't. It's not the only way a movie can be entertaining and it rarely ruins a film entirely to have things spoiled, but spoiling things can blunt that specific enjoyment.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Is it really all that weird that I sometimes like being spoiled on stuff? If a work doesn't immediately grab me, it's pretty nice to know if it's going somewhere interesting, honestly.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Knowing that something exists in a show that could be considered spoilers is a huge selling point. People talking in hushed tones about 'that part' and seeing blacked out text all secretive-like is probably what made me see Breaking Bad. Which was rad. It's also why I saw Hannibal though. So you win some, you lose some

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Those are both wins tbh, I'm not sure if I'd call Hannibal outright good but it's at least one of the most entertaining and/or batshit things on TV in recent memory

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

I didn't like it. It seemed really heavy-handed and the plot threads never came together in a satisfying way. I feel like I somehow missed half of the show while watching it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Hbomberguy posted:

I didn't like it. It seemed really heavy-handed and the plot threads never came together in a satisfying way. I feel like I somehow missed half of the show while watching it.

Season 2 was the peak. The big appeal for the show was more that the visuals/cinematography was so far ahead of almost anything you see on TV.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Based on the otherwise great reaction to the show the problem is probably Me.

I spoiled myself on season 3 but even the stuff in that doesn't really make me want to watch another 13 hours of it.

MisterGoGo
Jun 16, 2015

Pascallion posted:

There are some things where spoilers don't really matter, but I really do enjoy being surprised and also the feeling of not knowing where things are going. There's plenty of stories where that feeling isn't one of the main reasons to watch something, but there are definitely cases where it is.

Some example off of the top of my head:
-Circumstances of Hannibal's capture in the show Hannibal (while the fact that it happens isn't a terrible spoiler)
-Some of the left field twists in the Song of Ice and Fire books (the show wouldn't feel the same way)
-First time watching Carnivale, knowing literally nothing other than "there's a Carnival and some mystical stuff"

Interestingly, only one of those is from a movie, and not really intentional.

One of my favorite recent movies is Mad Max: Fury Road. Could this movie have been spoiled? I would say yes, but not by telling me the plot. The first time I watched it, I was just amazed by how overwhelming the movie was. If some of those more ridiculous moments had been spoiled for me, I wouldn't have had the same feeling.

Yea, I think we shouldn't really confine "spoilers" to just plot twist spoilers, which as we've seen elsewhere in this thread aren't necessarily a bad thing.

The novelty of other elements of a film completely unrelated to plot can be diminished by trailers or what have you as well, and novelty is a very powerful sensation.

Heck, I consider it a spoiler, in a way, when people give me their opinion on the finale of a show before I've seen it. Because while they might not have spoiled anything related to the content of the show, they've primed my response to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

You probably did. Not criticizing you at all, the show's dialogue usually has at least two meanings and Mikkelsen's lines can be tough to hear on first watch. Mikkelsen also makes a ton of incredibly subtle facial expressions so the show is a really rewarding re-watch.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i have a strong belief in: if a spoiler ruins a movie then it was a poo poo movie to begin with.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

When people say "ruin," it's probably either hyperbole or them badly expressing their feelings, where they meant to say, "you caused me to miss out on the really fun, surprised, 'holy poo poo' reaction I would have had otherwise." It's important to try to figure out what people are TRYING to say and argue that as opposed to what they actually say sometimes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
OP, how is your internet conversation specifically being stifled by trying to avoid spoilers? Your only example of this is the GBS spoiler thread titles, which are deliberate dick moves and not intended to engender discussion in any way. In my experience, it's pretty easy to not post spoilers. I don't like spoilers myself, so I don't watch trailers or read forum threads about stuff I'm interested in watching. I had to get off the forums when TFA was released because goons would discuss it anywhere, but I don't get the impression anyone really enjoyed every thread turning into a Star Wars thread for a week.

You seem to be solely arguing that because you don't find your experience to be lessened by spoilers, that must hold true for everybody else as well. This is such a bizarre universalism and it's gotten really prevalent online recently. A lot of goons have made that same argument (in this thread, even), and I've read several articles proudly declaring that spoilers aren't real. Almost always backed up with that one study about short stories. Do you also hold that anyone who dislikes your favorite food or likes to have sex with people you're not into is also just a whiny self-deluding baby?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

In the real world, people are entitled to their opinions, but some opinions are wrong. Just because spoilers matter to you doesn't meant they actually matter. You can get really caremad about a lot of stupid poo poo on planet Earth. Sometimes it is limiting to do so.

The idea that foreknowledge of any piece of (or even all of) a plot can ruin a film, is wrong - and if it ruins a film 'for you', that's actually an admission of failure.

• Locked thread