Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Spoilers only spoil the most superficial parts of a thing. To be honest I've felt more suspense when I've been 'spoiled' on something because when I recognise the spoiled scene I'm all "it's happening" and poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

But some people have more difficulty with it than others, and the way CineD sometimes treats that like a sin instead of just a very minor shortcoming is stupid; especially because someone like that can still have rational/intellectual insight into a film anyways.

Maybe these people should try harder, e.g. by consuming more media and thinking about how that media worked. They would then be less reliant on concepts like 'plausibility', 'likeability' and, yes, 'immersion' - concepts that are subjective, arbitrary and get in the way of good discussion.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

Kajeesus posted:

Are we allowed to expand the discussion beyond the thread title? I don't think anyone ITT has claimed that spoilers do "ruin" movies, only that not being spoiled changes how you experience it. You even admit, with some reluctance, that this is the case.

You know what changes how you experience a movie the most? Watching it. How terrible it must be to live in a world where every piece of art has an expiration date, where to understand something is to destroy it. A world where ideas are as sand...

• Locked thread