Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I managed to see From Dusk Till Dawn like a decade after it came out without having known a single thing about it. I don't know how I managed that, but if you had paused that movie about these crime brothers that have taken a family hostage and are trying to escape to Mexico 2/3rds into its run-time and gave me a thousand guesses as to what the gently caress was going to happen next I don't think I would've gotten it right.

Would my level of enjoyment of the film changed if I had known what it was about beforehand? I don't know that question isn't really answerable. But I think the experience would have absolutely changed, and while I can always go back and have that experience where I do know what's going to happen I can never go back and have the experience again where I don't, and that's certainly something that can be lost with spoilers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand why spoiler tags exist on somethingawful specifically. Like, why would someone read the Game of Thrones thread before seeing the newest episode? Or read a movie thread before seeing a movie? Spoilers on social media are kinda crappy though.

Because threads serve many other purposes beyond discussion of the plot. Like someone might go into a video game thread to see if people recommend purchasing the game, or because they're looking for help troubleshooting how to run it, or if any of the DLC is worth purchasing, etc.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

computer parts posted:

Video game plots are the last thing anyone's worried about though. For movies it's either pre-release material, the plot, or themes/related media about the plot.

Well yeah I just picked something, but it could be whatever. For TV shows for example you can find out guest stars or episode plots for the next season months before it even airs. There are people that are going to want to discuss that and people that don't and it takes all of no seconds to use a spoiler tag to make both sides happy.

• Locked thread