Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Ralp posted:

The idea is just that so-called "spoilers"— that is, knowing something beforehand about the plot of a movie (or show or book, etc)— don't actually spoil anything, they don't diminish the entertainment value or enjoyability of the film.

The problem is I don't know if a "spoiler" actually spoiled anything until after I've seen it, and then its already too late. There are plenty of films that hinge on a handful of critical scenes, and if you know what they are ahead of time the impact would be lost.

Even without getting into more over-the-top, Sixth Sense/Usual Suspects-style twists, I can think of a bunch of films that I absolutely wouldn't have wanted to know anything about beforehand. Wouldn't it be better to watch Alien for the first time without knowing that Ripley goes on to become an iconic character featured in three more films? Audiences at the time had no idea who the main character of the movie was supposed to be, which created a ton of suspense. Are there plenty of other reasons why Alien is awesome? Can I watch it for cinematography and set design alone? Sure I can, but it has more to offer if you go in blind.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

contrapants posted:

It's not like I haven't seen movies without knowing the twist for comparison. Off the top of my head, I've seen Saw, the Village, Resurrection, Memento, Inception, and Arlington Road without knowing what happens. I still enjoyed them all the same.

Edit: I know Inception isn't a "twist," but it's ambiguous enough that I think I can include it.

To use Arlington Road as an example, don't you think the movie is better if you don't know what happens in the last third? Doesn't the entire thing depend on the idea that you don't know exactly what the deal is with the neighbors and that Bridges may just be paranoid? If you know exactly where it all leads where's the suspense come from? Do you just never feel suspense when watching a film?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

If a movie or a TV show relies on a major plot twist/dramatic reveal so heavily that knowing it in advance significantly diminishes your enjoyment of it, then it seems to me that it was actually a pretty lovely movie/show.

Lets forget about measuring levels of enjoyment for a second. I think anyone would agree that when a film involves plot twists(i.e. almost every movie ever made), you would have a different experience watching it blind versus knowing the story ahead of time. You'd have different thoughts running through your head, different reactions to certain scenes, and probably feel different emotions than you would otherwise feel had the plot not been spoiled. Its also reductive to just say that if a film relies on a twist then it isn't very good. Effectively building to a twist and successfully surprising the audience isn't easy, and when its done right it can create extremely memorable cinematic moments. I wouldn't want to deprive myself of the possibility of one of those moments.

For me personally I want to experience a film in the way that the filmmakers intended me to, and I don't think most directors would recommend reading a plot summary before viewing their films.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

given a choice between depriving yourself of jump scares, or depriving everyone of the ability to ever have a substantive discussion of anything they have ever seen without a bunch of crybabies throwing a fit about losing their jump scares, one of these things is reasonable and worth being concerned about. The GOT spoiler titles in GBS are there because GBS is lazy as hell and spoiler people have a long history of being the most easily provoked and whiny people in existence, and they don't seem to actually enjoy anything so much as constantly insist they are being denied enjoyment by trailers, reviews, discussions of decades-old novels, suggestive cloud formations etc.

Who is even talking about jump scares? There's quite a difference between knowing where the cheap jump scares are in a horror movie and knowing exactly what happens at the end of say, House of the Devil or Kill List. And what do jump scares have to do with Game of Thrones?

Edit: To be clear though, I do think people should know what they are getting into when they browse movie forums and message boards. If you are concerned about spoilers don't go into threads where spoilers may be discussed.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 19, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I am sorry for mischaracterizing the specific genre of thrill of surprise you are pursuing, but I don't actually care. Movies and TV shows are not some elaborately expensive new form of jack-in-the-box there solely to startle you with unexpected movements and if that is the main level you engage with them on 1. you're a weirdo and 2. you're actively stunting your ability to enjoy movies. It's a little bit neat when it happens, but it's never the most interesting, or even among the most interesting, things going on in a work of art.

Anyone ever tell you you're kind of a dick?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

I prefer to enjoy movies as a kind of slots game where I buy my tickets with no idea as to what it's about, who's in it, or whether it's any good and gamble on whether I'll hate it or not and I think it is EXTREMELY RUDE that people kill my suspense by saying movies are 'good' or discussing them where I can hear them, and know that the movie is therefore worth discussing.

Are you having a conversation with yourself? Are you having a stroke? I'm confused.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think the Sopranos finale is good example of a scene where there isn't some out of nowhere mind-blowing twist, but so much of the final scenes impact is lost when you know what's going to happen. Its not some cheap, superficial crowd-pleasing moment, the entire sequence is expertly crafted in order to put the viewer in Tony's POV. The suspense builds and builds until its almost unbearable. You only get to experience that the one time, or if somebody spoiled it for you, not at all.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

Would my level of enjoyment of the film changed if I had known what it was about beforehand? I don't know that question isn't really answerable. But I think the experience would have absolutely changed, and while I can always go back and have that experience where I do know what's going to happen I can never go back and have the experience again where I don't, and that's certainly something that can be lost with spoilers.

Yea, I've seen plenty of posts where people argue that they have all kinds of varying levels of enjoyment/surprise/tension/fear with or without spoilers, but I haven't seen anyone refute the idea that the two experiences are fundamentally different. By purposely spoiling something you are going out of your way to deny someone that experience, regardless of what value you personally feel it has. It may be fairly low on the rear end in a top hat scale but its still an rear end in a top hat thing to do.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 24, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To what end? It doesn't mean the same thing, but I'm willing to give you the benefit of the doubt if you had something less trivial in mind.

Nah, don't worry, its trivial.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not interested in taking shortcuts around conversation because the forums think it's cool. I am pretty interested in the difference between knowing and experiencing, though.

Hey, its your free time, knock yourself out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Time Dissolver posted:

People who think spoilers don't matter aren't psychologically healthy but as far as online discussion of fiction goes, maybe don't come to class if you're not caught up on the work?

Yea there's plenty of room for both sides to be wrong on this one. On the one hand deciding for others how they should experience entertainment is rude, but on the other hand 99% of the times I've had something spoiled for me its been my fault due to browsing internet forums and having no will power.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

rvm posted:

Problem with spoilers isn't that they break some kind of immersion or whatever, it's just that watching a movie knowing a certain twist or a plot point is different than watching that movie without knowing it.

Apparently that difference is like, all in our heads or something. Or there is no true reality, therefore to know something is the same as to not know it. Or something. I'm dumb.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
To be honest I didn't realize the term "spoiler" only referred to plot. I mean, practically that's what most people are talking about when they say they had something spoiled for them, but I'd feel the same way if I saw a particularly beautiful shot posted somewhere vs. a plot synopsis. Its something that I'd rather have discovered for myself with the full intended context.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't think the issue is as black or white as some are making it out to be. I know for myself I have a bunch of different mindsets that I could potentially go into a movie with, and it depends mostly on practical stuff like how tired I am or if I've been having a good day. Just because I'm physically and mentally exhausted, and therefore would rather just enjoy an action flick on a surface level, that doesn't mean I'm childish or immature. Other times I'm in the mood to really dig into a film and dissect it, but I don't think that puts me above anyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hbomberguy posted:

I didn't like it. It seemed really heavy-handed and the plot threads never came together in a satisfying way. I feel like I somehow missed half of the show while watching it.

You probably did. Not criticizing you at all, the show's dialogue usually has at least two meanings and Mikkelsen's lines can be tough to hear on first watch. Mikkelsen also makes a ton of incredibly subtle facial expressions so the show is a really rewarding re-watch.

• Locked thread