Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: Immersion is "experiencing something as if it were real." It can be by degrees -- a necessity for fiction, because it would be really weird and dysfunctional if it were 100% or 0% -- and barring extreme mental states, we experience our life as if it were fully real.

The paradox of fiction is really interesting. It's completely irrational, but when that suspension of disbelief happens, it's amazing. Like, I don't want to get all Neil Gaiman about it ("Stories are magic! Storytellers are literal wizards!") but it really is the best loving high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Hbomberguy posted:

Being immersed and feeling immersed aren't the same thing. One of them is impossible.

jesus, when you're in a hole quit digging

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

The Time Dissolver posted:

Why have goons been harping on this so hard lately? What is with these bouts of faddish wisdom that go around? Spectacle doesn't go away as you age, it's just different things that push the awe buttons.

"I watch spaceship movies like an ADULT but you watch spaceship movies like a CHILD" has been going on for a while though. Because constantly talking about how grown-up you are is definitely something real adults do

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

No one has been saying that doing this or that makes you grown up. It's a difference between an in-depth reading and a surface level reading, and while the latter is what lots of kids participate in, it's also where lots of adults spend their time.

If people are childish, it's because they're trying (and failing) to recapture that magic they had as a child. It's not because they don't engage with the material.

I recapture that magic every day dude. I still cry at the end of Watership Down, every time.

I'll take that over half-assed 'readings' and trite observations any day

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

So "watch movies like an adult" is a direct response to that attitude and is shorthand for "have some sophistication when consuming media because it can allow you to understand and enjoy it more fully". It's not a new sentiment at all, it's just highly relevant this year.

How do you know you're enjoying it more than the turn-your-brain-off people? Did you measure their brainwaves or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you learn how to have fun and appreciate life you get extra ways you can enjoy things, you don't lose all the old ones.

Way to beg the exact question we're supposed to be discussing itt

• Locked thread