Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
In the case of GoT, it's spoiled for sport in places where GoT isn't discussed. Your idea is not that these people are being jerks, but that you should stay away from the internet until the show is over? I think it's generally easier to avoid movie spoilers if the trailer doesn't give it away. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I think with a movie there is less time investment. Even if LOTR is what? 17~ hours long if you include the Hobbit, that's only like 2 seasons of GoT. Also GoT is more recent and not in the collective osmosis as LOTR may be. I had a girlfriend who has never seen Star Wars but when I asked her about the plot of the OT she got it pretty drat close just based on poo poo like cartoon parodies and references from nerds in movies.
I get what you are saying, and I don't really care about the "ending" being spoiled - I know Stallone is going to win or whatever. It's more when someone spoils the how, and the villain reveal, and funny set piece, and the bombastic action bit. This is a bit like your comment on the Super Bowl. I'm a big baby and can't help but mouse over black text boxes when it comes to getting hyped, though.

E: To spoil Commando's ending, he kills everyone and walks away in his speedo to steel drum music. That's not the important part for me.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 19, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

contrapants posted:

I knew Dexter was going to kill the villain of every season. You could even tell me how he would kill John Lithgow and that Rita would be dead. I'd still want to see it. (If anything, I wish someone "spoiled" me that Dexter wasn't worth watching after that season. No matter how hot Hannah McKay was, it still couldn't remove the "Debra loves Dexter" stink.)

When I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I already knew about Dawn and how Buffy died, Willow's dark phase, etc etc. I still liked it, and IIRC that was longer than GoT so far.

That's fair. I don't think you are wrong at all, I just think maybe some people are more sensitive about it.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Maybe it's a sign that you are less invested in that particular thing? You could spoil that new Pixar movie and I'll probably see it eventually, but I've been avoiding Jurassic World spoilers because I want to see it tomorrow.

\/\/\/\/ Yeah,for sure. Honestly I think a few things should be "spoiled". I know people love to go into things "completely blind", but it's never completely because they are at least familiar with the conceit, or the franchise. You can say you'd watch any Refn movie completely blind - but why? Because you are familiar with the themes and stuff presented.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jun 19, 2015

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Shanty posted:

Anyway, I don't mind having the plot of a movie spoiled for me.

I think in this subforum there was someone who cuts trailers for a living and from what he said you are not in the minority. He said something like the best rated trailers recently give away so much plot so that moviegoers aren't surprised or get the wrong impression from a picture. Of course in reality we know that sometimes the way movies are advertised are not as they actually are, but there you go. I blame you for those 4 minute long trailers where the beginning, middle, ending, and all the best scenes and lines are spoiled. :v: Kidding, of course.

• Locked thread