Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
People who think spoilers don't matter aren't psychologically healthy but as far as online discussion of fiction goes, maybe don't come to class if you're not caught up on the work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

They portray not wanting a story spoiled as dumbing one's self down in search of cheap thrills (see posts in this thread such as "'I hate spoilers' means 'I hate knowing things'", "film is not some new elaborate jack-in-the-box"). They claim to have discerned the border between emotion and intellect and that is a delusion.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

computer parts posted:

By the same token, isn't trying to maintain a border between society and pop culture a delusion?

Not as big a delusion as the border between me and your mom, last night.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
People scream especially loud about GOT spoilers because surprise is literally the only feeling that garbage show is capable of eliciting and its fans are philistinic bottom feeders.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

You'll never get back the sense of wonder you felt watching your first big effects spectacle as a small child with no knowledge of the world

Why have goons been harping on this so hard lately? What is with these bouts of faddish wisdom that go around? Spectacle doesn't go away as you age, it's just different things that push the awe buttons.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

idk man like why are half the big-budget movies that came out this summer a sequel, remake, or reference to something kids liked in the 80s, aimed squarely at an audience that was small children in the 80s. You can totally enjoy things just as good as a grownup that was kinda my point, but whether or not you believe that like naive wonderment at seeing a rubber tyrannosaur for the first time really exists loads of people sure as hell do to the tune of billions of dollars

Why is wonderment naive? Why do you loathe others' desires to seek emotional experiences?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
If I was able to tell you the date of your death, and did so, would it affect how you live your life? "Nah man, I am not some weak womanly irrational creature of destructive emotionality, I am smart and intellectual with a non-feeling mind honed obsidian-sharp from thinking hard about everything all the time but never ever feeling anything, nosirree"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

maybe you need an outdoor hobby.

You literally have twenty times the posts-per-day I do.

• Locked thread