Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
There's been a debate in QCS over whether spoilers really ruin an experience. Specifically, it was about Game of Thones.

I don't know poo poo about TV, but I do watch movies. I don't think knowing the ending beforehand ever tarnished even one of them.

I think, if anything, movies with a twist ending are the most likely to be ruined. I watched the Usual Suspects and the Sixth Sense years after they came out, and I still enjoyed them. I don't think I missed out on anything by knowing the ending beforehand.

I've known the ending to every family movie I've ever seen. Hiccup was never going to be murdered in How To Train Your Dragon. The dragons were never going to barbecue and eat the entire village. Po, the Kung Fu panda, was always going to triumph over Tai Lung. In Home Alone, Kevin McCallister was never going to be beaten and sodomized by the Wet Bandits during their raid. Yet, I still enjoyed the poo poo out of these flicks.

Schwarzenegger, Seagal, Van Damme, and Stallone were always going to win, except in Terminator 1 where Schwarzenegger was always going to lose, and the Expendables where we as the audience were always going to lose.

Spoilers don't ruin viewing experiences. People caring about spoilers on an Internet forum ruins them. It arbitrarily limits conversation for people who have already seen something. If you truly don't want to know the ending, don't go on the Internet until you watch it. If someone posts about the Superbowl victors half a week after the game, you'll never see someone melt down about the score being spoiled for them. That would result in deserved mockery.

I've never read CineD before. What do you guys think?

Edit: QCS thread that spawned this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726237

Marta Velasquez fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Firstborn posted:

In the case of GoT, it's spoiled for sport in places where GoT isn't discussed. Your idea is not that these people are being jerks, but that you should stay away from the internet until the show is over? I think it's generally easier to avoid movie spoilers if the trailer doesn't give it away. :haw:

I agree with this, but to compare similar things: was Lord of the Rings ruined by knowing the ending beforehand? The same can be said for every movie based off a book series.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Firstborn posted:

I think with a movie there is less time investment. Even if LOTR is what? 17~ hours long if you include the Hobbit, that's only like 2 seasons of GoT. Also GoT is more recent and not in the collective osmosis as LOTR may be. I had a girlfriend who has never seen Star Wars but when I asked her about the plot of the OT she got it pretty drat close just based on poo poo like cartoon parodies and references from nerds in movies.
I get what you are saying, and I don't really care about the "ending" being spoiled - I know Stallone is going to win or whatever. It's more when someone spoils the how, and the villain reveal, and funny set piece, and the bombastic action bit. This is a bit like your comment on the Super Bowl. I'm a big baby and can't help but mouse over black text boxes when it comes to getting hyped, though.

I knew Dexter was going to kill the villain of every season. You could even tell me how he would kill John Lithgow and that Rita would be dead. I'd still want to see it. (If anything, I wish someone "spoiled" me that Dexter wasn't worth watching after that season. No matter how hot Hannah McKay was, it still couldn't remove the "Debra loves Dexter" stink.)

When I watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I already knew about Dawn and how Buffy died, Willow's dark phase, etc etc. I still liked it, and IIRC that was longer than GoT so far.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Firstborn posted:

E: To spoil Commando's ending, he kills everyone and walks away in his speedo to steel drum music. That's not the important part for me.

It was for me. :heysexy:

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

The assumption with spoilers is that the viewer "goes in fresh" and hence has an original experience from any subsequent viewings. The problem with this assumption is that (especially if you've seen a lot of media) a lot of things follow the same basic beats. You can use the monomyth as an example, but basically you have certain assumptions of the work based on the genre and the surrounding archetypes.

The interest then shifts to "twists", which are supposedly unexpected turns of events that even a veteran wouldn't reasonably expect. The problem with twists is that they themselves either must make narrative sense, or are done in such a poor manner that they make the work kind of meaningless.

For an example of the former, Ned Stark dying* in Season 1 of Game of Thrones was unexpected, but was a fairly common story beat (the wise old(er) man who dies and sets up conflict for younger characters - see Obi-Wan et all). For an example of the latter, take the video game Mass Effect 3. The revelation that the space weapon is secretly controlled by the bad guys' hive mind is certainly unexpected, but it really doesn't work well narratively.

*I'm not spoiling this because it's about as well known culturally as most of Sean Bean's other characters dying.

So, does it follow that not caring about spoilers is a sign that you are becoming jaded to media? Sure, things are still worth watching, but not like when you're, for example, a teenager?

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
I added a link to the QCS thread in the OP for those interested.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib

Whirlwind Jones posted:

You missed out on the experience of coming to the realization of these facts on your own based on the clues given by the narrative. Whether or not that's worth anything to anybody is a different discussion, but to simply act like knowing a plot twist before watching something and having the twist revealed WHILE watching something are equivalent is a weird assumption to make.

It's not like I haven't seen movies without knowing the twist for comparison. Off the top of my head, I've seen Saw, the Village, Resurrection, Memento, Inception, and Arlington Road without knowing what happens. I still enjoyed them all the same.

Edit: I know Inception isn't a "twist," but it's ambiguous enough that I think I can include it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Fallen Rib
CineD moves a lot faster than the other forums I read.

The poll is split, which I expected. However, I like the reasoning people here are giving for both sides, rather than just calling each other idiots.

It seems that some people feel suspense from not knowing what is going to happen. The other half, myself included, are more like Lt. Danger, who phrased it better than I could:

Lt. Danger posted:

Spoilers only spoil the most superficial parts of a thing. To be honest I've felt more suspense when I've been 'spoiled' on something because when I recognise the spoiled scene I'm all "it's happening" and poo poo.

While I get that people either don't want to be spoiled or at least want the option, I still agree with this the most in regards to going on the forums:

Jose Oquendo posted:

People want to talk about stuff they've just watched. Stay off Twitter/Facebook for a day until you've watched it.

... especially with huge media events, like the Game of Thrones season finale.

• Locked thread