Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Hbomberguy posted:

In the real world, people are entitled to their opinions, but some opinions are wrong. Just because spoilers matter to you doesn't meant they actually matter. You can get really caremad about a lot of stupid poo poo on planet Earth. Sometimes it is limiting to do so.

The idea that foreknowledge of any piece of (or even all of) a plot can ruin a film, is wrong - and if it ruins a film 'for you', that's actually an admission of failure.

Many films rely on twists and turns in their plot to entice audiences and keep them guessing. This isn't that difficult to understand, even for a dullard like you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

A dismal view of cinema.

I steadfastly disagree Terrorist.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

I'm not saying narrative tricks are bad or cheap thrills or whatever, but the number of films that are just a rollercoaster ride of plot twists is very small. Most films that employ big twists have a lot of other things going for them, e.g. good cinematography or well-developed characters, that have value once the impact of seeing them for the first time has worn off. In this sense, it's hard to say a film "relies" on twists and turns to make it worth seeing -- they're one element in a list of good stuff.

Obviously one can appreciate twists in a film as well as good cinematography and well-developed characters. Movies are stories and knowing plot details and the outcome beforehand undercuts the tension.

• Locked thread