Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Lets forget about measuring levels of enjoyment for a second. I think anyone would agree that when a film involves plot twists(i.e. almost every movie ever made), you would have a different experience watching it blind versus knowing the story ahead of time. You'd have different thoughts running through your head, different reactions to certain scenes, and probably feel different emotions than you would otherwise feel had the plot not been spoiled. Its also reductive to just say that if a film relies on a twist then it isn't very good. Effectively building to a twist and successfully surprising the audience isn't easy, and when its done right it can create extremely memorable cinematic moments. I wouldn't want to deprive myself of the possibility of one of those moments.

For me personally I want to experience a film in the way that the filmmakers intended me to, and I don't think most directors would recommend reading a plot summary before viewing their films.

given a choice between depriving yourself of jump scares, or depriving everyone of the ability to ever have a substantive discussion of anything they have ever seen without a bunch of crybabies throwing a fit about losing their jump scares, one of these things is reasonable and worth being concerned about. The GOT spoiler titles in GBS are there because GBS is lazy as hell and spoiler people have a long history of being the most easily provoked and whiny people in existence, and they don't seem to actually enjoy anything so much as constantly insist they are being denied enjoyment by trailers, reviews, discussions of decades-old novels, suggestive cloud formations etc.

It might be a slightly different experience but it's really not a difference worth caring about, or pursuing compulsively, or giving up anything else for.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Jun 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Basebf555 posted:

Who is even talking about jump scares? There's quite a difference between knowing where the cheap jump scares are in a horror movie and knowing exactly what happens at the end of say, House of the Devil or Kill List. And what do jump scares have to do with Game of Thrones?

Edit: To be clear though, I do think people should know what they are getting into when they browse movie forums and message boards. If you are concerned about spoilers don't go into threads where spoilers may be discussed.

I am sorry for mischaracterizing the specific genre of thrill of surprise you are pursuing, but I don't actually care. Movies and TV shows are not some elaborately expensive new form of jack-in-the-box there solely to startle you with unexpected movements and if that is the main level you engage with them on 1. you're a weirdo and 2. you're actively stunting your ability to enjoy movies. It's a little bit neat when it happens, but it's never the most interesting, or even among the most interesting, things going on in a work of art - not in mystery movies, and definitely not in film adaptations of genre novels so old that if they were people they'd be in grade school by now.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I prefer to enjoy movies as a kind of slots game where I buy my tickets with no idea as to what it's about, who's in it, or whether it's any good and gamble on whether I'll hate it or not and I think it is EXTREMELY RUDE that people kill my suspense by saying movies are 'good' or discussing them where I can hear them, and know that the movie is therefore worth discussing.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Srice posted:

Yeah it's retarded to go into a thread for a thing and then whine about people talking about news for it.

Like, what else are they supposed to talk about in the months before it's out.

And if casting choices are a big deal then you just gotta have some restraint and not click on a thread where people would talk about it. And probably close your eyes while walking around at the movie theater because you might pass by a poster with names on it.

It is an option if you don't have anything to say to just not talk at all

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Srice posted:

I think the main reason this thread was made was because there were people in this category that simultaneously actively sought out discussion but don't want to be spoiled on anything.

I'm definitely sympathetic to not wanting to be spoiled (even though I feel that attitude can get in the way of discussing things). But I feel that all too frequently that spoilerphobia goes beyond what is reasonable, in terms of making people bend over backwards to accommodate that fear.

This thread was created because some guy ran to the mods because GBS briefly described some events from a 5+ year old, commonly read fantasy novel in a thread about the TV remake, and another guy got really Mad when nobody important took this tragedy very seriously. It's a douche move to go around yelling out spoilers to thriller movies or other things whose actual purpose is shocking twists (a tiny percentage of media) but it's easy, predictable guilt-free laughs for internet nerds because the spoilers people are also douches and loving mental to boot, and are guaranteed to start raving about how people who talk about the contents of movie trailers are sociopaths who torture small animals to get off and their lives are ruined forever. It's the exact same impulse that drives people to seek out tumblr snowflakes who are literally triggered by apples and furiously police everyone else's speech for mentions of such and harass them, even after that stopped really being funny a long time ago.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 22, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Fair enough I guess, I coulda phrased that more accurately, although to get to that GBS thread they still had to scroll through an assload of GBS's usual trans-bashing/'ironic' racism/miscellaneous hatred and find all that less objectionable than OMG SPOILER WARNING PLEASE so lol anyway

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

rvm posted:

What are you guys even arguing about anymore?

Problem with spoilers isn't that they break some kind of immersion or whatever, it's just that watching a movie knowing a certain twist or a plot point is different than watching that movie without knowing it.

Watching a movie knowing what a policeman does for a living, or that in action movies the hero usually wins, or that the lights on the screen are not showing real things that are actually happening and can be influenced by you shouting at the characters, is also different from watching a movie not knowing these things. You'll never get back the sense of wonder you felt watching your first big effects spectacle as a small child with no knowledge of the world, but that's okay because you're an adult now, knowing things is inevitable and supposed to be a good thing. If your enjoyment of watching movies is so ephemeral and trivial it can be sucked away just by knowing facts, that's your problem, not a universal human condition, and it's easy to fix where making all discussion of movies you haven't watched go away just by yelling at the internet isn't. You have chosen to hang your happiness on the incidental references of vague acquaintances and then thrown yourself into the public discourse, this does not place the whole rest of the world under any obligation to you.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jul 29, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

idk man like why are half the big-budget movies that came out this summer a sequel, remake, or reference to something kids liked in the 80s, aimed squarely at an audience that was small children in the 80s. You can totally enjoy things just as good as a grownup that was kinda my point, but whether or not you believe that like naive wonderment at seeing a rubber tyrannosaur for the first time really exists loads of people sure as hell do, and believe it can be manufactured, to the tune of billions of dollars

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 29, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The Time Dissolver posted:

Why is wonderment naive? Why do you loathe others' desires to seek emotional experiences?

what other kind of wonderment are you talking about that can be demolished by knowing facts, that's basically definitional dude

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I'm not sure cause I've never tried it but I'm pretty positive it wouldn't lead to me melting down and gibbering about obsidian or whatever the gently caress, guy. maybe you need an outdoor hobby.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Clipperton posted:

How do you know you're enjoying it more than the turn-your-brain-off people? Did you measure their brainwaves or something?

if you learn how to have fun and appreciate life you get extra ways you can enjoy things, you don't lose all the old ones.

most of the other ways to enjoy movies are a lot less fragile and easily ruined than hoping for a total information blackout or the perfect zenlike state of blankness to receive sweet stunts, if you can enjoy Jurassic Park or whatever on a technical or symbolic or whoa-did-you-see-that-raptor level rather than fretting about the pure experience seeing a post on the cuck a tranny I'm gay forum last week has taken away from you, you will have the power to enjoy the movie under any conditions and realize that what the forum post took from you was actually nothing at all.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tenzarin posted:

This thread is very confusing. I went into Jurassic World blind, and the movie complete trash. Are we talking about spoilers or what makes a movie or how people watch it or how much they enjoy it?

It is so god drat easy to avoid any knowledge about a movie, I made you a check list.

1. Do you want to see this movie blind?

Yes: Don't go into the thread
No: go into the thread

2. Do you not know you would like the movie
Yes: go into the thread don't read spoilers, read reviews
No: Do whatever you want

tbf while it is something people whine an incredible amount about this thread was not specifically inspired by the crime of people discussing a movie in a conversation specifically about that movie, but rather people seeing out-of-context mentions of which characters get stabbed in a movie based on a ten-year-old fantasy novel while browsing the hatespeech meme forum and being extremely offended that the mods did not care.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kajeesus posted:

Obviously there's a limit to how much you can censor yourself. I'd personally say that nothing in the second paragraph would constitute a spoiler, and if you're sensitive to that degree, the onus is on you to at the least not be on Twitter. I watched TFA knowing the most basic of details (there's a black stormtrooper, the bad guy has a claymore lightsaber), and I still considered myself to have gone in blind. I think the way details are discussed often makes it obvious that they're not spoilers.

If you notice something looks like a spoiler, you could always tag it and then just point out that it's not really a spoiler. For the TFA example, you could use Luke is missing (not really a spoiler) versus Kylo is Ben Solo, son of Han and Leia (major TFA spoiler).

There's a conversation to be had on what exactly constitutes a major spoiler and what is a minor or non-spoiler. I think movies eventually get to the point where major plot points become common knowledge, and there's precious few people who haven't watched, say, Terminator 2, but are interested in seeing it and don't already know the big twist.

It's pretty much always lovely to drop big spoilers for TV shows, though, like the OP casually dropping bombs about Dexter and Buffy finales, and originally using the GBS GoT spoilers as an example of spoiler outrage. Obviously for Game of Thrones there's people who are invested in the show and don't know details from the books, and people who don't watch episodes as soon as they air, but even for an ended show like Dexter, that big spoiler is 48 hours into the show.

OK so not everyone is going to be satisfied with any bar for spoiler alerts, and it's up to the individual to make a common-sense assessment on a case-by-case basis, fine. IMO none of those things are spoilers, because 'spoilers', like movies 'raping your childhood', are an imaginary injury meant to displace an entirely internal dissatisfaction onto the outside world, and the kind of person who thinks "I enjoyed that movie but I could have enjoyed it, if not more, in a somehow different way, had I had different experiences, but that right has been forever taken from me" is a meaningful grievance is not going to be satisfied by any set of conversational constraints you could devise.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 11, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Darko posted:

You're basically strawmanning by creating a false dichotomy.

The argument is: "spoiling key moments in films can take away an entire viewing experience from that person that can never be attained again because foreknowledge can alter the emotional impact of the narrative."

There is no way to disagree with that, and you know it, so instead of conceding that, you're strawmanning the argument by changing it into a binary "it ruins the entire movie" so you don't have to concede the other viewpoint. Everyone sees this, btw.

you've stolen my experience of a life without having read this loving post and I demand recompense

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kajeesus posted:

Again, have you literally never been surprised by any piece of media? Have you never had a reaction stronger than "oh, I guess that happened?"

If you're wondering what my response to that study was, you could try reading what I posted. I'll be happy to discuss any specific points you might disagree on.

much like there is no exact preparation for watching a movie that would allow you to be transported to your perfect virginal Platonic ideal of a first movie-watching experience, like God intended you to have, there is no exact melodramatic rephrasing of this question that's going to change the answer to the one you want. Modify your expectations accordingly.

• Locked thread