Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

For me it's basically that I want to go into a movie and extract my own experience out of it. I don't want to hear from somebody "It was so crazy when he was dead the whole time" or "Can you believe they killed that person off? I didn't see that coming". I want to decide if it was "crazy" or "unexpected", not be told what it is.

I also think that movies are enjoyed at multiple levels. The first time I watch something is never going to be the same as the 5th time I see it. By being "spoiled" of a part of movie I'm basically tainting one of the potential "experiences". For a movie like "Sixth Sense", I've seen it maybe 5 or 6 times in my life. I still enjoy it each time I watch it, even though I know what is going to happen. But my enjoyment today is different then my enjoyment back in 98 when it first came out. That doesn't make the movie "bad".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Darko posted:

I'm slightly annoyed that I never saw Psycho the way Hitchcock intended due to being popular culture spoiled years later (and other movies copying many of the groundbreaking at the time things later). That must have been such a ridiculously great, jarring experience. Even though I "appreciate" it now, I missed out on a whole lot of emotions.

My wife was somehow able to watch Psycho without knowing anything about it at all (she's not "culturally savvy" I guess). It was fun to watch her watching it, because that is a movie with multiple twists and turns.
I think it's coming to the point now where most kids today know nothing about Psycho, I'm looking forward to watching it with my kids someday as well to see their reactions.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Hbomberguy posted:

In the real world, people are entitled to their opinions, but some opinions are wrong. Just because spoilers matter to you doesn't meant they actually matter. You can get really caremad about a lot of stupid poo poo on planet Earth. Sometimes it is limiting to do so.

The idea that foreknowledge of any piece of (or even all of) a plot can ruin a film, is wrong - and if it ruins a film 'for you', that's actually an admission of failure.

I don't believe the film is "ruined", but surely my experience of watching it is altered. If I know ahead of time that a character is going to die, I'm going to spending the movie with that in the back of my mind, and it provides a different viewing experience then if I didn't have that information. I should be able to experience the movie without any foreknowledge, if that's how I'd like to experience the movie. If I feel it's worth watching again after having that knowledge I can then do so with that altered experience.

If you're saying that isn't two different experiences, then there isn't much else to say here. I just don't believe you and think you're being contrarian on purpose.

Whether or not you care about the difference is a matter of opinion, and I don't consider either opinion "wrong", but I think it's a bit rude to try to push it upon others.

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Hbomberguy posted:

Tone-policing people just because they don't agree with you isn't a convincing way of bringing them round to your way of thinking. I'm not forcing anyone to agree with me.

I simply think it is wrong to worry about attaining some fantastical 'ideal viewing experience'. I have no intention of stopping you from worrying about this. You are welcome to continue doing so.

And this is why I think you're rude.

• Locked thread