Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
There are some things where spoilers don't really matter, but I really do enjoy being surprised and also the feeling of not knowing where things are going. There's plenty of stories where that feeling isn't one of the main reasons to watch something, but there are definitely cases where it is.

Some example off of the top of my head:
-Circumstances of Hannibal's capture in the show Hannibal (while the fact that it happens isn't a terrible spoiler)
-Some of the left field twists in the Song of Ice and Fire books (the show wouldn't feel the same way)
-First time watching Carnivale, knowing literally nothing other than "there's a Carnival and some mystical stuff"
-Watching Sorcerer only knowing that it was the director's movie after Excorcist (not even knowing the premise)

Interestingly, only one of those is from a movie, and not really intentional.

One of my favorite recent movies is Mad Max: Fury Road. Could this movie have been spoiled? I would say yes, but not by telling me the plot. The first time I watched it, I was just amazed by how overwhelming the movie was. If some of those more ridiculous moments had been spoiled for me, I wouldn't have had the same feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread