Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
This idea of common courtesy is my central feeling on the issue. It's 2015, and people have to understand that there are many way media is consumed, and we're not all watching at the same time as you. So, it's really inconsiderate of others to go on social media and write about the last three minutes of the show they just watched.

I live in Asia, so it's really impossible for me to watch something at the same time it airs. I'm working when other people are watching GoT, for example. That said, about every surprising story beat was spoiled for me in GoT this year because people cannot keep their drat mouths shut. Usually it was Facebook, but it was also the headline of an article a couple times. I often browse social media for work or don't even think about it when I tap on the Twitter or Facebook icon on my phone. It's hard for me to just avoid it, as some people suggest.

Did it ruin the show? Of course not. Did it change the experience? Yes, and I would have preferred to have been allowed to watch the show as I like.

I don't get so upset any more because I've become quite jaded about this stuff, but come on, guys, have a little courtesy for other people. I don't go up to people and say everything that comes to mind because some things are inappropriate to say. And the debate about whether or not spoilers even matter is meaningless. Who are you to decide how I can enjoy my movie or show? Get off it.

Whale Vomit fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Lol at your rationalization and your wanting to hold everyone up till you're ready to experience things just they way you want.

Who is rationalizing? It's completely common sense. It takes a minutia of empathy to realize that not everyone saw that one movie or show at the exact same time as you.

What's rationalizing is making fun of people for writing real time response in the TVIV forum - an appropriate forum to do so, actually - but feeling there's nothing wrong for doing the same exact thing on the broader base of social networks.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

its guts are carpeting

quote:

I live in Asia, so it's really impossible for me to watch something at the same time it airs. I'm working when other people are watching GoT, for example... I often browse social media for work...

I don't understand why people need to justify their verbal diarrhoea.

• Locked thread