Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do spoilers ruin your life?
Yes! They make me die the small death.
No. Posting on an Internet forum is more important to me.
View Results

• Locked thread
LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

contrapants posted:

Seagal... were always going to win.
Someone hasn't seen Executive Decision.

Surprises are fun. Spoilers ruin the surprise.

I had a surprise party thrown for me once. My brother in law hosed up and spoiled it for me. It was still a fun party, but I didn't have the fun of the actual surprise.

So yeah spoilers don't ruin a whole movie for me, but they definitely ruin the surprise which is like a couple percentage points of the enjoyment at least. I'm taking my 13 year old daughter through some classic/great movies and her not knowing what happens in a lot of cases takes her on an emotional rollercoaster that is really enjoyable for her to experience, and for me to watch, that would be ruined if I spoiled it for her.

contrapants posted:

I knew Dexter was going to kill the villain of every season. You could even tell me how he would kill John Lithgow and that Rita would be dead. I'd still want to see it.

Perfect example. I totally did not see Rita's death coming and since I was invested in the show emotionally, to see him win only to lose anyway was an amazing shock that left me wound up for quite a bit afterwards. I thoroughly enjoyed that surprise and again, while it wouldn't ruin the show like the writing of season 6 did, (which spoiled itself it was so bad) I definitely would have not had the same emotional high that I did going in blind. Therefore I will continue to avoid spoilers because I like being surprised.

I interpret your post as saying there are no reveals that are worth keeping secret, and I strongly disagree from personal experience. They don't ruin an overall experience, but they do ruin pieces of the experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread