Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Finished the alternate paths I hadn't seen tonight, overall I think this game is just okay.The all-range mode stages are forgettable, but even when you're playing an on-rails Star Fox level they just feel so short. Star Fox levels were never super long but these feel like they're over so significantly quicker compared to any standard 64 level. On top of that the boss fights in general I just found underwhelming. Every single one of them is an all-range mode fight that forces you to utilize the GamePad and they never feel more fun for it. They really aren't doing anything that special to justify having to switch views constantly between the two, and the only reason you even need the Hold ZR to Lock Onto Enemy view is because they took out the radar from 64 that did just fine letting you know where the boss was in relation to you. This game feels like the kind of gimmicky showpiece they should have made at launch to convince people the GamePad was a worthwhile addition to the console, not in 2016 when the console is already dead and Nintendo fans just want a good sequel without any gimmicks. I came away wishing they'd made a Star Fox last gen on the Wii instead, because the pointer controls would have allowed for even more precision than the gyro, and without the stupid GamePad they could have just made a balls to the wall Star Fox game that required a lot more skill than the SNES and 64 versions.

It was a decent game, but it's gonna be something I revisit once every several years like Assault just to remind myself what it was about the game that didn't click with me, rather than something I play through at least once a year like 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Once I switched the controls to only-motion-when-firing everything clicked and I'm having a great time. :)

My only complaint is the gyrocopter doesn't feel right. The only level I've played with it, Zoness, felt really slow and un-Starfox-ish. Everything else seems solid though.

Maybe I'm just used to the motion control stuff from Splatoon? :shrug:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Snuffman posted:

Once I switched the controls to only-motion-when-firing everything clicked and I'm having a great time. :)

My only complaint is the gyrocopter doesn't feel right. The only level I've played with it, Zoness, felt really slow and un-Starfox-ish. Everything else seems solid though.

Maybe I'm just used to the motion control stuff from Splatoon? :shrug:

Zoness, and the level before it where you lead the Gigarilla, are the only levels that use the Gyrocopter anyway.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

So what's the deal with the blue charge shot that you get it when you release right after the lock-on finishes? I'm not sure if it's more damage or wider blast radius, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Further, there's no point in the game where I felt legitimately excited to be playing, there's nothing like Area 6 or the insanity that is Venom 1.

High Speed Low Drag level got me totally stoked

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sam Faust posted:

So what's the deal with the blue charge shot that you get it when you release right after the lock-on finishes? I'm not sure if it's more damage or wider blast radius, but I'm leaning towards the latter.

Bigger blast, yes.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

elf help book posted:

Zoness, and the level before it where you lead the Gigarilla, are the only levels that use the Gyrocopter anyway.

Are you kidding me? Then why the hell did they even include it?

I'd have liked some more all range mode space battles. :sigh:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's a fun diversion and later you can unlock the ability to play both levels as the Arwing anyway, so it's not even a waste of level asset creations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I enjoy hanging out with my good friends Gigarilla and Direct-i.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Finished the alternate paths I hadn't seen tonight, overall I think this game is just okay.The all-range mode stages are forgettable, but even when you're playing an on-rails Star Fox level they just feel so short. Star Fox levels were never super long but these feel like they're over so significantly quicker compared to any standard 64 level. On top of that the boss fights in general I just found underwhelming. Every single one of them is an all-range mode fight that forces you to utilize the GamePad and they never feel more fun for it. They really aren't doing anything that special to justify having to switch views constantly between the two, and the only reason you even need the Hold ZR to Lock Onto Enemy view is because they took out the radar from 64 that did just fine letting you know where the boss was in relation to you. This game feels like the kind of gimmicky showpiece they should have made at launch to convince people the GamePad was a worthwhile addition to the console, not in 2016 when the console is already dead and Nintendo fans just want a good sequel without any gimmicks. I came away wishing they'd made a Star Fox last gen on the Wii instead, because the pointer controls would have allowed for even more precision than the gyro, and without the stupid GamePad they could have just made a balls to the wall Star Fox game that required a lot more skill than the SNES and 64 versions.

It was a decent game, but it's gonna be something I revisit once every several years like Assault just to remind myself what it was about the game that didn't click with me, rather than something I play through at least once a year like 64.

I don't understand why there isn't any radar in this game. At least put it in-world as part of the cockpit or something.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't understand why there isn't any radar in this game. At least put it in-world as part of the cockpit or something.

That really bugged me too, because it'd at least be useful for chasing dropped Rings and Lasers Upgrades in the big open stages.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

AdmiralViscen posted:

the star fox assault mission where you have to take out some radar jammers was probably the best on-foot level

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

XavierGenisi posted:

And if you're really having trouble, just turn the walker and boost away. For the two-handed slap, a good way to dodge it is by just transforming and flying under him to the other side of the arena.

Edit: additionally, you have bombs. If you hit a hand with an open weakpoint with a bomb, you'll cancel him out of the attack.

You can also cancel the attack if you just shoot the weak point enough. It's easiest to do when he does the two hand clap because his hand is close and he holds it in one place for a relatively long time.

I saved my bombs for when he did the one handed tractor beam attack.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

raditts posted:

You can also cancel the attack if you just shoot the weak point enough. It's easiest to do when he does the two hand clap because his hand is close and he holds it in one place for a relatively long time.

I saved my bombs for when he did the one handed tractor beam attack.

Oh man I always forgot to use my bombs, that's perfect.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

AdmiralViscen posted:

I hadn't even realized there wasn't a radar until it got mentioned here (probably because of the ZL padlock view), but yeah it would've been super helpful to have.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

AdmiralViscen posted:

Gotta justify the gimmick man, if you had radar you'd just use that every boss fight instead of struggling with a terrible control scheme that forces you to constantly look up and down between two screens

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

TechnoSyndrome posted:

Gotta justify the gimmick man, if you had radar you'd just use that every boss fight instead of struggling with a terrible control scheme that forces you to constantly look up and down between two screens

I just keep looking at the TV while enabling target mode to see where the boss is and then look at the rotation of the Arwing. Might not be as accurate, but it sure is easier. When fighting Star Wolf, you can just charge your laser and turn with a centered reticle, then when the lock-on starts happening you've pretty much turned enough.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
maybe someone's answered a question like this, but having never played a Star Fox game I was thinking of picking this up.

It sounds really polarizing. Should I do it?

I was going to get the one that came out on the 3DS and then forgot about it. Now the prices for that seem a bit much.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SylvainMustach posted:

maybe someone's answered a question like this, but having never played a Star Fox game I was thinking of picking this up.

It sounds really polarizing. Should I do it?

I was going to get the one that came out on the 3DS and then forgot about it. Now the prices for that seem a bit much.

are you okay with gyro aiming?
do you like score attack stuff?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Star Fox is kinda its own thing, so it's hard to tell if someone's going to like it if they've never played it before. I'm not even sure what other game that I would compare it to.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Star Fox is kinda its own thing, so it's hard to tell if someone's going to like it if they've never played it before. I'm not even sure what other game that I would compare it to.

After Burner?

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

The best advice I think I can offer is to play the Metroid game in Nintendoland, flying Samus's ship is quite similar in concept and execution to some of Star Fox Zero
And if you're on board with gyro aiming in Splatoon then I think you'll enjoy the game.

I felt comfortable with the controls around halfway through the campaign on my first play through, I doubt anyone could pick up this game and immediately feel natural with the controls.

I don't see Nintendo patching in any other control options either, the level and enemy design requires movement and aiming to be separate, and the cinematic camera angles make the second screen required. Of course there are solutions to these issues but this is supposed to be a WiiU game, and I'm okay with that.
I was also okay with Skyward Swords controls, and Kid Icarus Uprising

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Looper posted:

are you okay with gyro aiming?
do you like score attack stuff?

Maybe?
Yes!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SylvainMustach posted:

Why not try the original N64 version of the same game on the WiiU eShop?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
ye boi

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

This game is divisive in part because the controls are a lot - a lot a lot - different than previous entries. It also bumps up the difficulty a fair bit. The new controls are interesting and they do a pretty good job exploring them, but there are definitely a few levels I would describe as kinda tedious and uninspired. I'm not sure that this game quiiite measures up to SF64, but I think it comes pretty close. If you like shooters, cute space animals, and Nintendo games that are surprisingly tough for being nintendo games, check this one out. And if you like this one then definitely grab 64 however you can.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

.TakaM posted:

The best advice I think I can offer is to play the Metroid game in Nintendoland, flying Samus's ship is quite similar in concept and execution to some of Star Fox Zero
And if you're on board with gyro aiming in Splatoon then I think you'll enjoy the game.

I felt comfortable with the controls around halfway through the campaign on my first play through, I doubt anyone could pick up this game and immediately feel natural with the controls.

I don't see Nintendo patching in any other control options either, the level and enemy design requires movement and aiming to be separate, and the cinematic camera angles make the second screen required. Of course there are solutions to these issues but this is supposed to be a WiiU game, and I'm okay with that.
I was also okay with Skyward Swords controls, and Kid Icarus Uprising

I'd like it if they patched in an option to get rid of forced cinematic views. There is really no reason why I can't just to hold ZL in this situations instead of being forced to.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Sade posted:

This game is divisive in part because the controls are a lot - a lot a lot - different than previous entries. It also bumps up the difficulty a fair bit.

I would argue that it makes the game easier.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Szmitten posted:

I would argue that it makes the game easier.
There's an inflection point, I think. The game starts off easy, then the difficulty exceed's the average player's skill with the motion controls (Andross, Aquarosa) and then a point of mastery where they finally become second nature and you wipe stuff out effortlessly. Andross took me half a dozen tries on my first run. Now I can wipe him out without even thinking much.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm finding the Retro Arwing neat and is the real hardmode score attack ship since it has no homing whatsoever. Black Arwing is just a beast.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I will admit to skimming this thread instead of reading it intensely for spoilers, etc. but holy poo poo the Salvadora "easter egg" had me cracking up A LOT. Including that in such a short mission made it totally worth it.

Edit: Peppy's spammable alternate takes of saying "Barrel roll!"

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 6, 2016

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
I like the idea that anytime Peppy isn't on the mic talking to his teammates he's shouting BARREL ROLL 100% of the time

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Goon job!

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why not try the original N64 version of the same game on the WiiU eShop?

I didn't realize it was on there. Thank you.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

"You've been slipped!" Slippy Toad, Star Fox Zero

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

It's funny you can beat Area 3 as the Arwing, and the game encourages you to do so with a medal, and there's a version of Zoness where you play as the Arwing, but beating Area 3 as the Arwing does not send you to Zoness as the Arwing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

elf help book posted:

It's funny you can beat Area 3 as the Arwing, and the game encourages you to do so with a medal, and there's a version of Zoness where you play as the Arwing, but beating Area 3 as the Arwing does not send you to Zoness as the Arwing.

If you're talking about the first mission in Area 3 how do you complete it with just the Arwing? I thought you were forced into using the Gyrocopter at a certain point.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Larryb posted:

If you're talking about the first mission in Area 3 how do you complete it with just the Arwing? I thought you were forced into using the Gyrowing at a certain point.

Once you unlock the ability to hack the panels as the walker, you can just fly up to the panel at the top of the tower instead of going underground to get the Gyrowing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

elf help book posted:

Once you unlock the ability to hack the panels as the walker, you can just fly up to the panel at the top of the tower instead of going underground to get the Gyrowing.

Huh, so you can. So in other words the Gyrowing's inclusion in this game was completely pointless when they could have just given the Walker that ability from the start. In fact, since the Walker provides about the same functionality they didn't really need to put the Landmaster in the game either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Larryb posted:

Huh, so you can. So in other words the Gyrowing's inclusion in this game was completely pointless when they could have just given the Walker that ability from the start. In fact, since the Walker provides about the same functionality they didn't really need to put the Landmaster in the game either.

Yeah man you fuckin figured it out :jerkbag:

• Locked thread