Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ok, the fact that you could have done the entire game as is with just the Arwing and Walker is kind of obvious in hindsight. But at least you can eventually play every level except Titania with the Arwing (The Hunter mission where you fight Wolf one-on-one takes place on Fichina) so it's not too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Larryb posted:

Huh, so you can. So in other words the Gyrowing's inclusion in this game was completely pointless when they could have just given the Walker that ability from the start. In fact, since the Walker provides about the same functionality they didn't really need to put the Landmaster in the game either.

My personal theory is they cut then-planned Gyrowalker stuff because people responded poorly to it. What you get in-game is all that was ever shown in the previews and maybe half a mission more (the bit getting it in the prior one).

You shut your goddamn mouth about the Landmaster though :toughguy:.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My personal theory is they cut then-planned Gyrowalker stuff because people responded poorly to it. What you get in-game is all that was ever shown in the previews and maybe half a mission more (the bit getting it in the prior one).

You shut your goddamn mouth about the Landmaster though :toughguy:.

Not saying the Landmaster is bad by any means, just that technically everything you do with it could have easily been done with the Walker instead (though the homing missles the Landmaster fires when you charge can come in handy I'll admit).

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

So I finally got around to playing this tonight.

Oof.

Now, admittedly, I'm only through Zoness, but Jesus Christ I just don''t know what to make of the thing. The pre-title training mission was great! Somersaulting was fantastic! Corneria gave me a little trouble, especially the all-range mode boss (very disappointed to read there are no on-rails bosses), but still, I felt like I was getting used to the controls well enough that I'd have them mastered in a few levels.

Then came Sector Alpha, and I died...three times? I'm absolutely terrible at the Walker, and I don't know if the problem is the two screens or the hover and dash being on the same stick or what. But I figured - okay, give it a few more levels, you'll learn, no sweat. More all-range stuff, fine, whatever, not great.

And then holy poo poo the Gyrocopter is the worst thing I've ever controlled in a video game. I was glad to see the back of it after the Space Colony, until I realized that the ENTIRE Zoness mission was based around that tedious goddamn robot hacking into computers. Why does this game insist on having three frustrating control schemes WITHIN THE FIRST THREE LEVELS? I could understand a few Arwing missions to get used to the new controls, then introducing the Walker once you've mastered the motion stuff, then the Gyrocopter maybe once akin to the BlueMarine level or something. But I just haven't had time to get used to any of the vehicles, and so the entire first half of the game has been an immensely frustrating experience.

I adore Star Fox 64 - it's one of my favorite games of all time. And I want to love Star Fox Zero. But, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with a video game.

skeletronics
Jul 19, 2005
Man
Give it some time. When I first played, I died on Sector Alpha about 3 times and put it down for a bit. But after spending a weekend with it, things clicked.

Do you have a friend to co-op with? I found co-op with my roommate to be really fun, and switching off between flying and shooting lets you practice one without worrying about the other, then when you go back to single player they're both easier. Kinda like learning a song on Piano one hand at a time then combining the two once you've got them down.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I played training mode and tried out each of the aircraft before hitting the main game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
The gyrocopter mission is a really slow change of pace and I get that some may not like that but I have no idea how people are having trouble controlling it

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

oneforthevine posted:

So I finally got around to playing this tonight.

Oof.

Now, admittedly, I'm only through Zoness, but Jesus Christ I just don''t know what to make of the thing. The pre-title training mission was great! Somersaulting was fantastic! Corneria gave me a little trouble, especially the all-range mode boss (very disappointed to read there are no on-rails bosses), but still, I felt like I was getting used to the controls well enough that I'd have them mastered in a few levels.

Then came Sector Alpha, and I died...three times? I'm absolutely terrible at the Walker, and I don't know if the problem is the two screens or the hover and dash being on the same stick or what. But I figured - okay, give it a few more levels, you'll learn, no sweat. More all-range stuff, fine, whatever, not great.

And then holy poo poo the Gyrocopter is the worst thing I've ever controlled in a video game. I was glad to see the back of it after the Space Colony, until I realized that the ENTIRE Zoness mission was based around that tedious goddamn robot hacking into computers. Why does this game insist on having three frustrating control schemes WITHIN THE FIRST THREE LEVELS? I could understand a few Arwing missions to get used to the new controls, then introducing the Walker once you've mastered the motion stuff, then the Gyrocopter maybe once akin to the BlueMarine level or something. But I just haven't had time to get used to any of the vehicles, and so the entire first half of the game has been an immensely frustrating experience.

I adore Star Fox 64 - it's one of my favorite games of all time. And I want to love Star Fox Zero. But, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with a video game.

Good news, that's the last mandatory Gyrocopter section in the game. After the next level, the Walker gets hacking capabilities and you're able to play Zoness using the Arwing/Walker.

No, I don't know why they developed a vehicle only for it to get used in one mission and get immediately obsoleted by another one. I kind of enjoyed the Gyrocopter myself. I liked the slower pace of that mission and the emphasis on stealth. I recognize that I might be weird, though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Good news, that's the last mandatory Gyrocopter section in the game. After the next level, the Walker gets hacking capabilities and you're able to play Zoness using the Arwing/Walker.

No, I don't know why they developed a vehicle only for it to get used in one mission and get immediately obsoleted by another one. I kind of enjoyed the Gyrocopter myself. I liked the slower pace of that mission and the emphasis on stealth. I recognize that I might be weird, though.

Speaking of which, how exactly do you get "Mission Accomplished" on the inital Sector A and Zoness missions?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is there even any indication of what gets you a "Mission Accomplished" vs. a "Mission Complete"? Or is it one of those "you'll know when you hit the secret trigger" type things? I got one on Andross for turning back to shoot him at the end I think, and I got it on another level but I have no idea how or why.

Looper posted:

The gyrocopter mission is a really slow change of pace and I get that some may not like that but I have no idea how people are having trouble controlling it

Seriously, of all the controls to complain about, that one is seriously the strangest because I felt it was the most intuitive right off the top. Have none of you guys flown a drone before? Even if you haven't it's practically one step away from standard FPS controls.

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 19, 2016

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

They are all secret triggers, some are more obvious than others though.

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

raditts posted:

Seriously, of all the controls to complain about, that one is seriously the strangest because I felt it was the most intuitive right off the top. Have none of you guys flown a drone before? Even if you haven't it's practically one step away from standard FPS controls.

It's eminently possible I'm just bad at the dual-stick scheme in general. Glad to hear that Zoness was the last Gyrocopter mission. Going to give the game another shot this evening and see whether or not things improve.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

They are all secret triggers, some are more obvious than others though.

Here are the ones I know so far at least:

Corneria 1: Replay after getting the Walker transformation, there should be a hatch on the side of the boss you can fly into, at which point you can attack the core and destroy it from the inside, completing the mission.

Area 3 (Main Mission): Replay after unlocking the Walker's ability to hack panels. This allows you to complete the mission without having to go underground to get the Gyrocopter, all you have to do is fly up to the panel and activate it with the Walker.

Sector B: Defeat Wolf before he shoots down Peppy.

Venom: When James appears during the chase at the end, do a U-Turn and fire at Andross a few times.

Not sure about the rest though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 20, 2016

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This fear test in Adventures is the worst thing. It's a nice bonus that you have to go through the stupid temple again when you fail.:thumbsup:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

This fear test in Adventures is the worst thing. It's a nice bonus that you have to go through the stupid temple again when you fail.:thumbsup:

Yeah, that thing is some bullshit. How I did it (after many, many failed attempts) was to just laser focus on the bar at the top. If you look at the action happening on screen at all, you will fail.

It's a pity because there are some cool visuals going on with that sequence.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Why would Fox be scared of General Scales though. Shouldn't his ultimate fear be Andross and not rando dinosaurs that he only just met today?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

That whole sequence probably made more sense when the protagonist wasn't literally an alien come to the planet to help it out.

I mean it'd make sense that somebody that has lived on Dino Planet all their lives might fear the random spooky ghost raptors and Scales.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Why would Fox be scared of General Scales though. Shouldn't his ultimate fear be Andross and not rando dinosaurs that he only just met today?

Why would Fox be afraid of Andross when he's been loving dead for 8 years by that point (by the way, that length of a time skip was a pretty bad idea to begin with).

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

No no no, by far the worst test in that game was the test of button mashing strength. It's the only time I think I've ever had to use a spoon to play a video game. Of course, now I'm an expert button masher, but that's beside the point.

Played more Zero tonight. Got a little better? Star Wolf was a pretty fun fight. Then managed to rope someone into playing co-op with me - pretty fun, actually. Aquarossa can go die in a dumpster fire, though. That thing was impossible, even though I knew the strategy AND had someone else shooting for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Just beat Adventures and yeah, that was a game. Pretty bad but there was some charm with the weird voice acting.

And I thought Zant got punked at the end of TP.

EDIT: Completed Assault too. I really enjoy the voice acting in this one and wish they kept this cast. The on-foot parts aren't as bad as I expected but it felt like it was half the drat game.:wtc:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 25, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just beat Adventures and yeah, that was a game. Pretty bad but there was some charm with the weird voice acting.

And I thought Zant got punked at the end of TP.

EDIT: Completed Assault too. I really enjoy the voice acting in this one and wish they kept this cast. The on-foot parts aren't as bad as I expected but it felt like it was half the drat game.:wtc:

My main problem with the on-foot levels in Assault is that a lot of them are basically the same (destroy X amount of targets, fight a boss and/or destroy X more targets. That said, Fichina is probably my favorite of the bunch as it's the only level where every type of gameplay style is used at least once (You start with the Landmaster, go on foot for a bit when you enter the Control Center, ride on the wing of Falco's ship and then finally fight the boss in the Arwing).

The game isn't that bad for what it is though and I do agree the voice cast used was pretty good (They showed up in Brawl as well before Nintendo decided to go back to the 64 cast for some reason.) Not that the 64 cast is bad mind you but I kind of perferred Assault's in some aspects (such as having one of the few Slippy voices that was actually tolerable).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 25, 2016

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Assault's problem is that if it had come out just a few years later, when the mechanics for moving and aiming with two sticks was getting a bit more ironed-out, the on-foot levels would've been a lot more tolerable. The other problem is that the game is incredibly linear, and the story's of dubious quality. Assault definitely has good voice work though and some good animation in the briefing scenes. Fox's sarcastic "And we're here because...?" when he's informed Andrew Oikonny is the one leading Andross' remaining forces at the start of the first mission is perfect.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

I feel like Assault's problem is that if it had come out just a few years later, when the mechanics for moving and aiming with two sticks was getting a bit more ironed-out, the on-foot levels would've been a lot more tolerable. The other problem is that the game is incredibly linear, and the story's of dubious quality. Assault definitely has good voice work though and some good animation in the briefing scenes. Fox's sarcastic "And we're here because...?" when he's informed Andrew Oikonny is the one leading Andross' remaining forces at the start of the first mission is perfect.

I do like how in both Assault and Command Andrew is basically treated as the joke he is (Though I'm not sure why they started referring to him exclusively by his last name in those games).

Honestly, there really hasn't been a Star Fox game I outright hated. Adventures probably would have been better recieved if Nintendo had left well enough alone and allowed Rare to just release it as the stand-alone Dinosaur Planet and even as is they probably could have put in a bit more effort adapting the Star Fox elements into it (for example, a majority of Dragon Rock is composed of shooting sections, all of which could have easily been done using the Arwing). But as a Zelda clone at least I've seen worse efforts in the past.

Command was entirely All-Range based aside from chasing down missles and one or two boss fights and for some reason you were on a time limit both in and out of battle, but on the other hand the game was completly based around Arwing combat and there were a wide variety of ships to choose from (and honestly I didn't really mind the touch screen controls as once you get used to it the stylus just feels like a surrogate joystick, I do wish there was an option to switch to button controls though).

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
For me Command's problems are a lot of hindsight. What initially turned me off the game was the in-mission time limits and the Stylus controls. What further turned me off was the "multiple endings but you can't get any of the 'good' ones in the first go-round" problem. I mean, if I'm not enjoying your game in the first run why would I stick around for the next few?

Then the Rom Dump of Star Fox 2 that was 99% done made its way to the Internet and I actually got to see what Command's idea done right would be like. Most of the fights are in all-range mode, you have a somewhat dynamic campaign map, and you still have a bit of a time limit in that stuff will happen while you're in mission or moving from point to point, but you're not being timed as stringently. Of course it also suffers the main problems of a Super FX game on SNES with inconsistent framerates but that's kind of expected. I really think Star Fox 2 was a much better iteration of the concept that Command tried for but unfortunately missed.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Just make a Star Fox Mass Effect with lots of space fighting, ground combat, and call it a day.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Between Star Fox Assault and Star Wars: Rogue Leader 2 the Gamecube was the system for great space combat franchises tanking themselves by adding on-foot sections nobody asked for.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Monolith. posted:

Just make a Star Fox Mass Effect with lots of space fighting, ground combat, and call it a day.

No, thanks.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Star Fox Assault...is good

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Monolith. posted:

Get the Fox in Space guy to write it and this would be a perfect game.

Can anyone give me any tips for Aquas in Command? I was having an easy time with the game until here. The enemies destroy me, especially the big spiny fish things.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Monolith. posted:

I would have been down with this. Zero would have benefited from a smidge more plot.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

I'm sorry that you hate fun.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I just picked up SF0 and did the walker training mission. Using the right stick to rotate for the platforming medal collection had me repeatedly rolling off as I accidentially double-tap. Is there some trick to make that mistake less often, or just getting used to it?

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

I really love this game, I legitimately only have two problems

1) I can't play arcade mode using the amiibos or in co-op mode

2) I want be able to turn off using the sticks for somersaults and u-turns, I'd rather just use X and B and I sometimes trigger them on accident when attempting to switch to or from walker mode inside a ship.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Star Fox Command let you record your own voice and then scramble it to make the gibberish that the pilots "speak", it was pretty cool.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
Just got Zero and while I can see the issue with the controls (bit of a learning curve) I don't find them any more difficult than the Wonderful 101. They're obviously different but I felt the same kind of challenge.

That being said, it's not a discouraging challenge and I'm having these little "aha" moments that make it feel satisfying.

I do prefer the on rail stuff to the more free form dog fights though.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

SylvainMustach posted:

I do prefer the on rail stuff to the more free form dog fights though.

I find the Star Wolf fights a ton more engaging than in 64. You can do/see a lot more.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
I never played 64 so I don't really have anything to compare it to

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SylvainMustach posted:

I never played 64 so I don't really have anything to compare it to

:stare:

You should go do that right now.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare:

You should go do that right now.

I'll get the 3Ds one eventually since it doesn't seem to be coming to the WIIU vc anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

I'll get the 3Ds one eventually since it doesn't seem to be coming to the WIIU vc anytime soon.

It's on the Wii shop and still accessible from there. You'd just need a Classic Controller- the original one, not the Wii U Pro controller. The 3DS one is still a better bet, but the option exists.

• Locked thread