Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Take all the loving time you want guys. If the outcome is the best game I can get, then I'll wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Great Beer posted:

That means ignoring 64, best game of the series and best game on the system. You monster.

Edit: Nintendo wants 40 dollars for a remake of 64 with worse voice acting? :wtc:

I'd still buy it for the reasons stated in your post.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I know I should want a new game instead of a re-make but the truth is, if they tried something different they would probably just gently caress it up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

I don't even have a Wii U and I want this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Bean posted:

On one hand, I'm sad that this game seems like Star Fox 64 2. I was hoping it would be a little more plotty. I guess I was hoping we'd get a stupid rear end space opera? Like Mass Effect with furries.

Nobody really wants this. Do they? This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time. Plus Star Fox 64 had tons of cool plot poo poo going on. This line of thinking leads to Star Fox Adventures and two decades of pointless games trying to reinvent the wheel.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The complaints are confusing. So it's too much like Star Fox 64? I was under the impression that's what we all wanted. I feel like that if it deviated too much, then the review would be panning it for not being enough like Star Fox 64. Kinda like every other Star Fox game? I mean, obviously people want something more but nobody seems to have the imagination to describe what that "more" is... they just know they want it.

Seems most of the complaints are lobbed at the dumb dual screen control scheme. How was that idea not immediately shitcanned? I don't see how you're supposed to focus on two different screens that are so far apart from eachother.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 20, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Zaphod42 posted:

Ironically the GiantBomb review for R&C is nothing but how great it is.

Ahaha, when I read that quote I actually thought it was in reference to Star Fox Zero. I guess I have two questions about the game didn't get clarified from the reviews:

1) Can you just turn off the dual screen thing and play without it? Is the gameplay designed around this?
2) Is any part of this post true:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The secret might already be out, been hearing a lot of groundswell about a plot twist that I can't find the source for but a lot of people believe. It's a multiverse plot and we've only seen the 64 stuff, the portals are tied to it somehow and later stuff will show up.

One piece of evidence I know I've seen is Venom is a little before the halfway point on the overall score chart- and all the 64 planets/areas are before it leaving a massive gap of mystery locations.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ImpAtom posted:

Star Fox is a rail shooter arcade franchise which is a completely dead genre in the modern market, at least at full price and budget. It's a legitimate question if it has a place in the modern market. Part of the reason Nintendo kept trying to reinvent the wheel was because it was increasingly clear even in the 2000s that Star Fox didn't have a niche in a market that increasingly was against that style of gameplay and it was either change the franchise or put it to rest. It looks like the answer is going to be 'it really doesn't have a place in the market anymore.'

I think the rail shooter could totally be a great genre. With the advent of VR technology I'll bet we will be seeing stuff like that. The thing is, the only reason the genre is dead is because all the ones released Star Fox 64 have sucked. As far as I can tell the only notable exception is Panzer Dragoon Orta and Sin and Punishment, but I've never played those. I don't blame the genre though, I blame the developers for not having the imagination to make a good game. I mean, Call of Duty is like two steps away from being a rail shooter, it's not like it would be totally inconceivable that people would like a high quality rail shooter. Instead we get poo poo like Rambo

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Starhawk64 posted:

I was all stoked to get this game but now I'm hearing it's a gimmicky as gently caress? I think I'll wait for a price drop, $60 is alot for a game.

If by gimmicky you mean more or less a remake of SF64 then yes. In fact if you look up we are discussing this very thing!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Guy Mann posted:

What is it with Nintendo games and people on the internet flipping out whenever a critic gives it anything other than sloppy blowjobs? Especially when it's before the game has even come out so they have absolutely no grounds to challenge them on it.

Pretty sure this happens with most things that reach a certain popularity

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I wish companies would just hire and assimilate competent fan products, instead of wrestling with them over legal nonsense. Whenever a good fan product gets tied up like that everybody loses, including the consumer.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So based on feedback from this thread, I have determined that it's both exactly like Star Fox 64 and also absolutely nothing like Star Fox 64. Although I have noticed that everyone says that its different also sucks at the game. Like, just embarrassingly bad. Being beaten by your little cousin bad. Its even better when you give them suggestions and then they claim to have already done all of your suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Star Fox is kinda its own thing, so it's hard to tell if someone's going to like it if they've never played it before. I'm not even sure what other game that I would compare it to.

• Locked thread