Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Where's Krystal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They bring up Starfox 2 all the time and it's kinda crazy how often they mention it given how secretive they usually are.

Someone asked Miyamoto if they'd release it on the VC and he said "probably not, everything I liked about that game will be in this game". gently caress that, they said the same thing about Starfox Command and yet here we are.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Miyamoto also said they have a prototype Arwing amiibo that folds out into a walker but they haven't decided whether or not to release it:

quote:

But during E3 2015, Miyamoto told us he wants an Arwing amiibo. So we asked for an update on that. "We're creating lots of different types of prototypes of Arwing amiibo, but we're not sure when it will be ready to be announced for sale," he said.

"I'm sure you're aware of the amiibo shortage situation, even with the back orders and repeat orders. We kind of have our hands full. Earlier, we talked about how the 3D model of the Arwing will actually transform [into a two-legged Walker] in the game. We have an actual model and we're thinking how much it would actually cost to make when it's transformable Can we actually do that? We're thinking about a lot of different things right now."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

.TakaM posted:

The real reason is that no SNES FX chip games are coming to VC.

Yeah, I know. Argonaut's patent on the chip expires soon, apparently.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
^^Search me, that's just what I heard.

NA dudes, there's an exciting update on the eShop today!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Sell well, evidenty.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
W101 had a co-director from Nintendo but noone ever talks about that guy (including Kamiya) because in these situations the other director is more of a supervisor/producer than someone who takes point on the entire project; the job is more about relaying and realising requests than making creative decisions, even though I'm sure they have plenty and that Nintendo's open to listening to them.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Where's Krystal?

Finally, an answer for the only question that matters: https://twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto/status/634182551439933440

edit: this is being reported now even though it's months old? weird

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Pretty much, yeah.

That being said, it got a budget re-release in Europe recently.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Adventures suuuuuuuuuuuucks and Assault is occasionally okay but mostly crappy.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They also showed "Project Guard" which is now a standalone game called Starfox Guard starring Slippy and UNCLE GRIPPY:

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 4, 2016

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's some clarification on the Zero/Guard thing:

-in NA, retail copies of SF Zero will cost $60 and come packaged with a copy of SF Guard on a second disc. Alternately, you can buy either game on the eShop and it'll discount the other by $5 to bring the total price to $60. (Zero is $50, Guard is $15).

-in Europe, SF Zero is getting a first-print SE that includes packaged copies of both games and a 2-disc steelbook case, as well as a standalone SF Zero release and a code-in-a-box release for Guard. They've said nothing about any digital discounts and they've confirmed the disc version of Guard is exclusive to the SE.

EU SE trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWOgcl7P_Is

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Argonaut guys didn't do anything but programming on the early Starfox games and when they tried to do it on their own they gave us Buck Bumble.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The review copies have already been sent out and the list of embargoed topics/content is quite long, so I wonder if they're pulling a Kid Icarus with this game and deliberately withholding a ton of stuff just because.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Did I post the bad shirt? Get the bad shirt: http://store.nintendo.co.uk/games-wii-u/star-fox-zero-first-print-edition-amiibo-pack/11261880.html

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Szmitten posted:

Unless you're in the UK and purchasing frrom one specific store, it's best to think of Guard as download only. There may be a complementary code in the box.

Guard's "code-in-a-box" release is literally a separate retail box on the shelf, only with a code instead of a disc; it's not a pack-in with Zero. NOE does that occasionally.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a new trailer for both games - the review embargo ends very soon, so everything worth knowing will be known before long.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A04ZN4qA740

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The people who played Command took the story more seriously than the people who made it, that much is obvious.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Command is the best post-64 game.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I still think there are a lot of elements you could add to the formula without turning it into Mass Effect or Freespace or whatever and it's lame that they're barely even trying to one-up SF64 but that doesn't mean I won't play or enjoy Zero.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nobody really wants this. Do they? This is the worst idea I've heard in a long time. Plus Star Fox 64 had tons of cool plot poo poo going on. This line of thinking leads to Star Fox Adventures and two decades of pointless games trying to reinvent the wheel.

Not really, you could easily make another rail shooter with a plot/roster that isn't just Star Fox Again like this new game (to the point where a lot of the dialogue is 1:1 with SF64).

I mean, it's loving Starfox so who gives a poo poo but even so, it's boring watching Nintendo fall into the same patterns with so many different franchises.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's an unlockable 64-style arcade mode but the main game saves after every level and lets you replay levels whenever, and I'm sure there'll be individual score attack modes for each stage and with each vehicle. There are also additional VR challenge missions you unlock by collecting medals in the stages - some are score-based, some have other conditions. I don't know if there's a hard mode but if not, there's always the Falco amiibo gimmick, I guess...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The dual-screen thing is way more disconcerting than the motion controls and even that's not really that tough.

I do think it's something they should have relegated to a specific vehicle or something, as it's not something you'll need or want access to 100% the time and if they'd relegated it to per-vehicle or even just per-level they could have pushed the visuals further or whatever.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
All the pre-release people complained that there was no way to capture the VA without recording from the gamepad's headphone jack, so probably not.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
There's also a unique vehicle you can unlock that's only playable in training mode that I wish was in the main game: the Direct-i in a little moon rover buggy thing

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They're actually good. I win.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I like the split controls co-op mode but it does seem like a waste to spend so much time optimising the game to display two screens at once without adding a true co-op or multiplayer mode with each player on a single screen.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I'd be very surprised if it was.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Zero/Guard for <$37: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Fox-Zero-Guard-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B00ZRZTT3W

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Nintendo put out two demos this week, one for Guard and one for Zero that contains the animated short, they should be available in both regions now.

Best Buy is also doing a $30 ($24 for Prime members) sale on a bunch of Wii U games including Starfox; the regular sale price doesn't update until next week but you can get the discount early if you're an Elite member, whatever the hell that means: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/promo/20160722-wiiu

(other games: Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, Yoshi's Woolly World, plus some discounted amiibo)

• Locked thread