Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently you can unlock the black and retro arwings without the amiibos so that's cool.

Awesome, :10bux: saved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Is there absolutely no way to turn that off and have it come out of the TV. I remember Wii games where if you turned sound off for controllers completely the sounds would come out of the TV instead.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
This isn't specifically Star Fox Zero related but the Star Fox fan cartoon that's been in the works for awhile finally released their first episode and it's really good. It's not your typical cringey internet humor, it feels like an old adult swim show, really cool vibe to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uieM18rZdHY

e: wow that post literally popped up between me checking to see if anyone posted this yet and then actually making the post. I guess just take that as proof it's actually pretty cool.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
So I finally played a bunch of Star Fox Zero over the last couple of days. Holy poo poo this game is loving atrocious. I had fun in the first level where it's just on-rails Star Fox, but the game very rarely actually plays like that. Every loving boss fight the game wants me to constantly be looking down at the GamePad to aim and designs all the bosses to force you to. The gyrocopter level on Zoness was insanely bad and I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea for a Star Fox game. Any time I've gotten to just pilot an Arwing or the Landmaster going straight and shooting poo poo has been fun but it's so infrequent and those sections are over so fast.

I got to Robot Andross in the story mode and ended up losing all of my lives because that fight is terrible. How much more content is there after that?

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That's the final boss. You just have other paths/levels/medals and whatnot to get after it.

lmao are you kidding me. what percentage of the game actually resembles star fox instead of gimmicky bullshit.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
I didn't really have any trouble finding my way inside, and Star Fox's ghost dad made sure to remind me multiple times about how great cockpit view is, my problem was that I couldn't reliably dodge the attack where he slams one hand down. No matter when I start dodging I'd still be in the way and it would hit me and knock me to the other side of the hand, where I would take damage a second time. Also because of the piddly damage on the single laser you respawn with and the reticle not lining up with where your laser actually shoots causing me to miss the first few shots it takes forever to actually blow up his hands. It's just an extremely boring fight and I don't understand why I can't just have a normal rear end Star Fox boss battle where I'm locked into two dimensions and fly around on the X and Y axis to dodge stuff. I'm sure I could finish it at this point but it wasn't fun and neither was the rest of the level preceding it so I'm not exactly raring to get back in.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Barrel roll, don't side-step, and you'll dodge the hand pretty easily.

I did! Multiple times in a row! Didn't help much.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Cat Machine posted:

there's this thing called """timing""" that you have to use to dodge attacks

Timing it never seemed to work so I just started spamming it and had more success. A single barrel roll doesn't even look like it'd get you far enough.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Angry_Ed posted:

the one that really sucked to me was the tractor beam one that I could really only get out of with bombs after he uses it any more times than once. I don't know if it's just my aim was garbage or if he just progressively takes more and more hits to knock him out of that attack.

Oh yeah that one ended up getting me too on my last life. When I went into the room I immediately transformed into an Arwing to try and get the laser pickup that spawns in there after one hand is gone, and the tractor beam got me from behind halfway to it and I couldn't even get myself aimed at his hand before it grabbed me and threw me against the wall. The whole fight seems like it would have been a lot easier if I'd just known what I was doing when I had the full laser upgrade, but the first time I went in I somehow didn't notice that the game had automatically transformed me into the walker and tried fighting him with the Arwing since that's how you've always fought Andross.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

Angry_Ed posted:

Admittedly the game is not super great at explaining things at times but I think that's part of the risk you take playing a made (at least partially) by Platinum, who just love to hide mechanics and not tell you about them. I even had to look at a guide to figure out what to do to Andross after stunning him because it's like...ok now what?

There's definitely stuff that isn't clear, at first I wasn't even sure if hitting his hands was doing anything because I wasn't hitting them enough to stop his attacks. I've beaten every game Platinum's made at least once though and love their stuff, so I'm gonna definitely play more of this game. It feels a lot more like Nintendo forcing gimmicks than Platinum hiding mechanics though.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Oh no I definitely like the chicken walker as an element of the game, I liked it in Star Fox 2 and I like it here too. I find the controls a bit confusing still but it's just from not using it enough. I'm mainly talking about other stuff like the constant use of the lock-on view that forces you to look at the GamePad, and the stupid gyrocopter that doesn't fit in with the flow of a Star Fox game at all.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

bef posted:

Also I don't understand the gamepad complaint since you can switch to cockpit view by pressing - thereby effectively removing any effort on your eyes and head to look down

I didn't even know this, so maybe the game should had said that during one of the twelve million times it had the characters yell at me to use the cockpit view.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

bef posted:

Even video game masters play beginning tutorials

I did all of the tutorial stuff. If they mentioned it they said it once and I quickly forgot. I tried this in the Andross fight to get inside his glass tube but found it way more confusing than looking up and down from the GamePad anyway.

I beat Andross by the way. Still a bad fight.

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE
Finished the alternate paths I hadn't seen tonight, overall I think this game is just okay.The all-range mode stages are forgettable, but even when you're playing an on-rails Star Fox level they just feel so short. Star Fox levels were never super long but these feel like they're over so significantly quicker compared to any standard 64 level. On top of that the boss fights in general I just found underwhelming. Every single one of them is an all-range mode fight that forces you to utilize the GamePad and they never feel more fun for it. They really aren't doing anything that special to justify having to switch views constantly between the two, and the only reason you even need the Hold ZR to Lock Onto Enemy view is because they took out the radar from 64 that did just fine letting you know where the boss was in relation to you. This game feels like the kind of gimmicky showpiece they should have made at launch to convince people the GamePad was a worthwhile addition to the console, not in 2016 when the console is already dead and Nintendo fans just want a good sequel without any gimmicks. I came away wishing they'd made a Star Fox last gen on the Wii instead, because the pointer controls would have allowed for even more precision than the gyro, and without the stupid GamePad they could have just made a balls to the wall Star Fox game that required a lot more skill than the SNES and 64 versions.

It was a decent game, but it's gonna be something I revisit once every several years like Assault just to remind myself what it was about the game that didn't click with me, rather than something I play through at least once a year like 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't understand why there isn't any radar in this game. At least put it in-world as part of the cockpit or something.

Gotta justify the gimmick man, if you had radar you'd just use that every boss fight instead of struggling with a terrible control scheme that forces you to constantly look up and down between two screens

• Locked thread