Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Calihan posted:

When the game is actually being Star Fox, its solid and fun.

Holy crap though. I wish someone had a rolled up newspaper to bap the idiot in the room that kept going "Oh lets have a silly forced cinematic camera boss fight/Gyrocopter/Walker that handles like total rear end section here!" over the nose. I don't know why anyone thought using the giant shoebox-sized Gamepad as a motion controlled aiming device was a remotely clever idea.

I also miss Falco's smartass Brooklyn voice actor. The new one sounds too soft and half-hearted.

Are the voice actors in Zero the same ones as 64 or new ones trying to sound like them? Too bad they changed them though, I actually kind of liked the ones from Assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is there an easier way to deal with the drones in areas like Sector Y and the Asteroid Belt? For example, is it possible to destroy the missiles before they release and latch on to the Great Fox?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I've never even encountered this thing before and wasn't aware it was in the game at all. News to me I guess.

You have to die like 8 or so times in a level before it appears so if you're good enough you probably won't ever see it in the game. Plus the powerup is small enough that you can easily avoid it if you don't want to use it. Honestly I've never had an issue with "Super Guides" in games, they're never forced on you and can be helpful if you're an inexperienced player who just wants to complete the game. And even if you do use them you can always just go back later and try to complete the level normally, it's not really that big a deal. I never got why just the mere fact that something like that exists in the game is enough to turn some people off as, like I said before, if you're good enough at the game you'll never even see it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 25, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, "forced gimmick" doesn't fit with the walker at all. It's a viable and reliable too in your arsenal and learning how to master it and when to transform/untransform helps a lot.

The Gyrocopter sucks though. It's just so frigging slow.

Yeah I expected I was going to hate the Gyrocopter when I first saw it in trailers, fortunatly though you only have to use it twice in the whole game. And honestly I don't even bother with the two screens most of the time, I just stick with either the TV or the Gamepad and swirch viewpoints with "-" when necessary.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 28, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

elf help book posted:

It's funny you can beat Area 3 as the Arwing, and the game encourages you to do so with a medal, and there's a version of Zoness where you play as the Arwing, but beating Area 3 as the Arwing does not send you to Zoness as the Arwing.

If you're talking about the first mission in Area 3 how do you complete it with just the Arwing? I thought you were forced into using the Gyrocopter at a certain point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

elf help book posted:

Once you unlock the ability to hack the panels as the walker, you can just fly up to the panel at the top of the tower instead of going underground to get the Gyrowing.

Huh, so you can. So in other words the Gyrowing's inclusion in this game was completely pointless when they could have just given the Walker that ability from the start. In fact, since the Walker provides about the same functionality they didn't really need to put the Landmaster in the game either.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ok, the fact that you could have done the entire game as is with just the Arwing and Walker is kind of obvious in hindsight. But at least you can eventually play every level except Titania with the Arwing (The Hunter mission where you fight Wolf one-on-one takes place on Fichina) so it's not too bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

My personal theory is they cut then-planned Gyrowalker stuff because people responded poorly to it. What you get in-game is all that was ever shown in the previews and maybe half a mission more (the bit getting it in the prior one).

You shut your goddamn mouth about the Landmaster though :toughguy:.

Not saying the Landmaster is bad by any means, just that technically everything you do with it could have easily been done with the Walker instead (though the homing missles the Landmaster fires when you charge can come in handy I'll admit).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Good news, that's the last mandatory Gyrocopter section in the game. After the next level, the Walker gets hacking capabilities and you're able to play Zoness using the Arwing/Walker.

No, I don't know why they developed a vehicle only for it to get used in one mission and get immediately obsoleted by another one. I kind of enjoyed the Gyrocopter myself. I liked the slower pace of that mission and the emphasis on stealth. I recognize that I might be weird, though.

Speaking of which, how exactly do you get "Mission Accomplished" on the inital Sector A and Zoness missions?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

They are all secret triggers, some are more obvious than others though.

Here are the ones I know so far at least:

Corneria 1: Replay after getting the Walker transformation, there should be a hatch on the side of the boss you can fly into, at which point you can attack the core and destroy it from the inside, completing the mission.

Area 3 (Main Mission): Replay after unlocking the Walker's ability to hack panels. This allows you to complete the mission without having to go underground to get the Gyrocopter, all you have to do is fly up to the panel and activate it with the Walker.

Sector B: Defeat Wolf before he shoots down Peppy.

Venom: When James appears during the chase at the end, do a U-Turn and fire at Andross a few times.

Not sure about the rest though.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 20, 2016

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Just beat Adventures and yeah, that was a game. Pretty bad but there was some charm with the weird voice acting.

And I thought Zant got punked at the end of TP.

EDIT: Completed Assault too. I really enjoy the voice acting in this one and wish they kept this cast. The on-foot parts aren't as bad as I expected but it felt like it was half the drat game.:wtc:

My main problem with the on-foot levels in Assault is that a lot of them are basically the same (destroy X amount of targets, fight a boss and/or destroy X more targets. That said, Fichina is probably my favorite of the bunch as it's the only level where every type of gameplay style is used at least once (You start with the Landmaster, go on foot for a bit when you enter the Control Center, ride on the wing of Falco's ship and then finally fight the boss in the Arwing).

The game isn't that bad for what it is though and I do agree the voice cast used was pretty good (They showed up in Brawl as well before Nintendo decided to go back to the 64 cast for some reason.) Not that the 64 cast is bad mind you but I kind of perferred Assault's in some aspects (such as having one of the few Slippy voices that was actually tolerable).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Angry_Ed posted:

I feel like Assault's problem is that if it had come out just a few years later, when the mechanics for moving and aiming with two sticks was getting a bit more ironed-out, the on-foot levels would've been a lot more tolerable. The other problem is that the game is incredibly linear, and the story's of dubious quality. Assault definitely has good voice work though and some good animation in the briefing scenes. Fox's sarcastic "And we're here because...?" when he's informed Andrew Oikonny is the one leading Andross' remaining forces at the start of the first mission is perfect.

I do like how in both Assault and Command Andrew is basically treated as the joke he is (Though I'm not sure why they started referring to him exclusively by his last name in those games).

Honestly, there really hasn't been a Star Fox game I outright hated. Adventures probably would have been better recieved if Nintendo had left well enough alone and allowed Rare to just release it as the stand-alone Dinosaur Planet and even as is they probably could have put in a bit more effort adapting the Star Fox elements into it (for example, a majority of Dragon Rock is composed of shooting sections, all of which could have easily been done using the Arwing). But as a Zelda clone at least I've seen worse efforts in the past.

Command was entirely All-Range based aside from chasing down missles and one or two boss fights and for some reason you were on a time limit both in and out of battle, but on the other hand the game was completly based around Arwing combat and there were a wide variety of ships to choose from (and honestly I didn't really mind the touch screen controls as once you get used to it the stylus just feels like a surrogate joystick, I do wish there was an option to switch to button controls though).

• Locked thread