Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Finally, an answer for the only question that matters: https://twitter.com/PG_y_hashimoto/status/634182551439933440

edit: this is being reported now even though it's months old? weird

Thank god

Szmitten posted:

I don't understand people who a) Like Krystal, b) Like Assault, and c) Care about the story and continuity of Star Fox.

We should just pretend that everything after SNES Fox never happened. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

sharrrk posted:

they should bring back the star fox 2 characters whose names i dont remember.

Miyu the Lynx and Faye the poodle.

In some ways Kat/Crystal are like a redesign of Miyu except she seemed a bit more interesting :v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Do nintendo games just not go down in price?

You ever been to a gamestop?

Used copies of Mario Kart 8 will be $50 until the day you die.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

The complaints are confusing. So it's too much like Star Fox 64? I was under the impression that's what we all wanted. I feel like that if it deviated too much, then the review would be panning it for not being enough like Star Fox 64. Kinda like every other Star Fox game? I mean, obviously people want something more but nobody seems to have the imagination to describe what that "more" is... they just know they want it.

Seems most of the complaints are lobbed at the dumb dual screen control scheme. How was that idea not immediately shitcanned? I don't see how you're supposed to focus on two different screens that are so far apart from eachother.

Yeah that review seems like glowing praise to me.

"Its just like Starfox 64, which is what everybody wanted.... but is it too late for that to matter?" asks a stupid "game journalist".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Rachet and Clank's recent reboot is just "the Rachet and Clank remake people wanted with no frills" and is being extremely positively received.

Ironically the GiantBomb review for R&C is nothing but how great it is.

quote:

If you’ve played the original (or the HD Collection version), you’ll notice the initial similarities. Many of the planets from the original make their return, often in the same order and almost always with the same basic visual style. Despite this, many elements within the stages themselves are different. Layouts are sometimes entirely new, and the placement of collectibles (and number of them) is totally different. Rarely did I explore a level and think “oh yeah, I remember this part.” Rather, it conjured up general memories of planet themes as I blasted my way through these stages.

So Starfox, a game which captures the feel of StarFox64, is too old fashioned, but Ratchet & Clank which not only captures the feel of Ratchet & Clank but explicitly visits the same exact planets and plot points (although somewhat remixed) is not old fashioned?

Game journalism ladies and gentlemen.

Basically boils down to "we didn't really feel like playing starfox this month but we were down for ratchet & clank"

At least they didn't give it a review score.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

Ratchet and Clank is generally a pretty awesome game that doesn't have players wrestling with an awkward control scheme over the course of the game, while also looking damned pretty to boot.

It's pretty bizarre how far you people will go to discredit a game review that ultimately is just someone else' opinion on a game, and not a final arbiter of your own personal tastes. I mean take offense at the fact that the guy liked another reboot all you want, but maaaaaaaaaaaybe the game isn't actually as amazing as you were hoping it was?

Its pretty bizarre how far you people will go to discredit another goon's post that ultimately is just someone else's opinion on a game, and not a final arbiter of your own personal tastes. I mean take offense at the fact that I disagreed with a game journalist all you want, but maaaaaaybe the article isn't actually as well written as you were hoping it was?

:goonsay:

I can play that game too man, lets just not. Yes, Giantbomb is free to offer their opinion, and we goons are free to poo poo on it if we feel like doing so. Opinions!

ImpAtom posted:

I honestly don't think it's that funny or out of place.

Star Fox is a rail shooter arcade franchise which is a completely dead genre in the modern market, at least at full price and budget. It's a legitimate question if it has a place in the modern market. Part of the reason Nintendo kept trying to reinvent the wheel was because it was increasingly clear even in the 2000s that Star Fox didn't have a niche in a market that increasingly was against that style of gameplay and it was either change the franchise or put it to rest. It looks like the answer is going to be 'it really doesn't have a place in the market anymore.'

This doesn't mean SFZ is good or bad but merely that it probably isn't the right kind of game anymore. (And I think, based off my own experiences with the game, that the 'awkward control' complaint is going to be pretty overblown except for maybe the gyrocopter segments.) I think the honest truth is that a middling-difficulty score-focused rail shooter released for $60 isn't going to be high on anyone's play list.

I dunno, Star Wars : The Old Republic (the MMO) did starfox-style levels a couple years ago, and lots of people enjoyed them and remarked on how they'd like a full star fox style game in this day and age.

Its a niche market, yeah, but considering there's entirely zero competition in that market, maybe not such a bad ideal to take it completely for yourself? The market also decided that adventure games were a dead niche, and then along comes Tim Schafer and Telltale to crank out a dozen of them to huge sales and acclaim.

It could be a dead niche nobody wants or it could be an untapped market. Hard to say, we'll see how sales go.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 20, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbW99DyAAm4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMAyQJ1a6s

It is a shame that there's no online multiplayer since there's no multiplayer game today that really fills that niche. It could have been cool with the new controls.

Guard looks really fun and I'm almost more excited to play that even though I hate TD games.

This is such a huge difference from the giantbomb review.

GB: "controls suck, wish I could just play starfox64, too bad they force this stuff on you but oh well, you can mostly ignore it and pretend like its 64 except some parts"

GameExplain: "Takes a bit to get used to the controls, but then the action is really fantastic and lets you do things you could never do in past starfox games. I can't stress this enough, once I got the controls down it felt amazing. "

:v:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

Do keep in mind he also added
"But by the time it all came together there was nothing left to do in the game"

Right, but I never expected starfox to have a ton of replay-ability or content either. And for some that may be a game breaker, but I've got more games to play right now than I know what to do with.

If I can play through a couple times and have fun and then pick it up again a month from now and do the same thing, and so on, then I'll be pretty happy. I can understand wanting more from Starfox, but a prettier 64 with some new features sounds good to me.

I'll have to see how the controls feels and how it all shakes out when I play it, but point is maybe its not all as pointless or bad as GB is making it out to be.

DrPaper posted:

But that goes against the argument he was trying to make against the insane sadbrain gamer Jeff Gerstman who is trying to sabotage the Wii U by writing bad reviews.

Yep that's totally what I'm arguing, and not any manner of a strawman. No sir.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrPaper posted:

So have you never played a Star Fox game before? Or been aware of them before the Wii U one was announced??

I have only played SNES and 64.

You can beat both of them in like, a couple hours tops. You do have 3 paths through each and a couple secrets, but you can do all that in about 8 hours or less if you really wanted to.

Try again!

E: Ooops I lied, I once played a beta version of StarFox 2 on a repro cart.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Love that they included some starfox SNES in there

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I love that it's animated at 5fps. Lets you soak in all the details.

Yeah, not sure what that's about. The first Berserk OVA CG anime movie had the same problem, not sure if its a style they were going for or a rendering error but it looks bad. Maybe they're trying to make it look more animated but its CG...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DrPaper posted:

The branching path system isn't new to SNES or N64 versions of the games, and the bad game for the DS is nothing but replay the game to get different fanfic endings and branches.

:psyduck: What?

You made the argument that I'd never played early starfox games because I said they usually don't have a ton of content, we all pointed out how the best starfox games are actually quite short, and now you're just babbling incoherently.

Who cares if the branching path system was new or not? What does that even mean? Are you suggesting there was a starfox game before the SNES one? What?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yeah, the idea is that it's supposed to integrate better with traditional animation (which is normally animated at very low "frame rates"). It, uh, doesn't really work.

Thing is you'd think they'd have learned by now. Like I said the first Berserk movie did that, but the later ones didn't because people complained.

And Guilty Gear Xrd manages to look exactly like anime even though its real-time rendering, not even pre-rendered CG, and I'm pretty sure it runs at 30fps.

So yeah, they need to realize this doesn't work at all.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Apparently you can unlock the black and retro arwings without the amiibos so that's cool.

Oh thank goodness.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Randumb Thots posted:

Realtalk, is it at all viable to only use the cockpit view and basically ignore the exterior view on the TV? I know it's not as "StarFox-y" but it seems like a more natural way to play. Or will I realize that's a dumb idea once I get home and start playing?

Eh, SNES went full-cockpit on certain levels and N64 let you do it when you want, seems plenty "starfoxy" to me.

Pomp posted:

if you hit the - button it swaps the cockpit view to your tv and also yes it is

Yes it is a dumb idea or yes it is a viable way to play?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Finally got the free time to pick it up and try it out, enjoying it a lot so far despite all the vicious criticism. Lots of throwbacks to N64 make me :) "You're becoming more like your father" from Peppy

The controls in general I actually like, feels like flying normal star fox both in 1st and 3rd person at the same time, which is what they were going for. And you have a bit more control, feels more like a plane. But the problem is sometimes they let you press LR to lock on when you want, but other times it just forces you to lock-on, meaning flying using the TV is nearly impossible and you just have to use the gamepad, which is dumb.

Also enemies like the tanks that force you to use the gamepad to hit them, dumb. They should have just designed it so you can play either way.

Still, doesn't seem as bad as everybody was making it out to be. But whatever, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

SylvainMustach posted:

I never played 64 so I don't really have anything to compare it to

:stare:

You should go do that right now.

• Locked thread