Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Seems like there's no difference between downloading it and getting a disc, as far as getting Starfox Guard goes. Guess I'll just download it. I may or may not be interested in Guard, and that way I can get the main game for a bit cheaper!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Szmitten posted:

Nope!

Unless you're in the UK and purchasing frrom one specific store, it's best to think of Guard as download only. There may be a complementary code in the box.

I'm in the U.S. Definitely downloadin' this. If Guard turns out to be totally amazing, I'll download it too.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Sam Faust posted:

I really want to play this game right now.

Yeah same. Those trailers and such suddenly made me go from, "Yeah I'll get the game I guess," to "OMG I need this game RIGHT NOW."

Guess I didn't realize how much I wanted another proper Starfox.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh man. :aaa: They took the kickass version from Assault and somehow made it even better!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I like how they can make the in-game models look like the art from the old Starfox SNES manual.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DrPaper posted:

So have you never played a Star Fox game before? Or been aware of them before the Wii U one was announced??

Have you?

Starfox's replayability comes from getting high scores and medals, and then doing the same in Expert Mode. It was never a terribly long game and it has never had a lot of levels.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

After playing so much Splatoon, the gryo controls in this came very easily to me. Only thing I have trouble with is the target mode, but I'm probably not doing it right.

I should be looking at the gamepad for that, shouldn't I? I figured...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Played some more of this today. I managed to get the "Mission Accomplished" in Corneria. :toot: Using the cockpit view is indeed what my problem was with using Target mode.

Maybe it's because I've used the gryo in Splatoon since day one, but I haven't had a single issue with the controls. Even the helicopter thingy in Zoness was fine. Haven't tired the Landmaster yet.

I'm calling the game good!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ventana posted:

Command isn't really that hard to control...

I mean like, it isn't the best case of touch controls, mostly due to the split between boost/brake being undefined, but outside of the occasional mixup there it really isn't that bad.

It's not hard to control, any more than Phantom Hourglass is hard to control. The touch control is just completely unnecessary. It would have been just as easy, and probably even easier, to control with actual buttons. And a lot less frustrating and hand-crampy.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

oneforthevine posted:

So I finally got around to playing this tonight.

Oof.

Now, admittedly, I'm only through Zoness, but Jesus Christ I just don''t know what to make of the thing. The pre-title training mission was great! Somersaulting was fantastic! Corneria gave me a little trouble, especially the all-range mode boss (very disappointed to read there are no on-rails bosses), but still, I felt like I was getting used to the controls well enough that I'd have them mastered in a few levels.

Then came Sector Alpha, and I died...three times? I'm absolutely terrible at the Walker, and I don't know if the problem is the two screens or the hover and dash being on the same stick or what. But I figured - okay, give it a few more levels, you'll learn, no sweat. More all-range stuff, fine, whatever, not great.

And then holy poo poo the Gyrocopter is the worst thing I've ever controlled in a video game. I was glad to see the back of it after the Space Colony, until I realized that the ENTIRE Zoness mission was based around that tedious goddamn robot hacking into computers. Why does this game insist on having three frustrating control schemes WITHIN THE FIRST THREE LEVELS? I could understand a few Arwing missions to get used to the new controls, then introducing the Walker once you've mastered the motion stuff, then the Gyrocopter maybe once akin to the BlueMarine level or something. But I just haven't had time to get used to any of the vehicles, and so the entire first half of the game has been an immensely frustrating experience.

I adore Star Fox 64 - it's one of my favorite games of all time. And I want to love Star Fox Zero. But, to be honest, I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed with a video game.

Good news, that's the last mandatory Gyrocopter section in the game. After the next level, the Walker gets hacking capabilities and you're able to play Zoness using the Arwing/Walker.

No, I don't know why they developed a vehicle only for it to get used in one mission and get immediately obsoleted by another one. I kind of enjoyed the Gyrocopter myself. I liked the slower pace of that mission and the emphasis on stealth. I recognize that I might be weird, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SeANMcBAY posted:

This fear test in Adventures is the worst thing. It's a nice bonus that you have to go through the stupid temple again when you fail.:thumbsup:

Yeah, that thing is some bullshit. How I did it (after many, many failed attempts) was to just laser focus on the bar at the top. If you look at the action happening on screen at all, you will fail.

It's a pity because there are some cool visuals going on with that sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

I'll get the 3Ds one eventually since it doesn't seem to be coming to the WIIU vc anytime soon.

It's on the Wii shop and still accessible from there. You'd just need a Classic Controller- the original one, not the Wii U Pro controller. The 3DS one is still a better bet, but the option exists.

• Locked thread