Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I don't know a lot about using fonts on computers, but Windows supports OpenType, TrueType, PostScript and Raster types. If that encompasses what you need to use, then getting a Windows machine should be viable.

You might actually do well with a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 considering you work in graphical production. It's a convertible laptop and tablet device with Mini DisplayPort output for using it with a larger screen. It has a variable price point based on the power of the processor and storage.

Although, bear in mind that it only comes with the pen accessory. You'll need to spend more than, say, ≈$1,400 on the fastest processor 256 GB model if you wanted the detachable Type Cover keyboard, docking station with faster charging and extra ports, collapsible Arc Touch Bluetooth mouse, Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter and a satchel. They're useful, but not entirely necessary, so that's up to you.

It runs Windows 8.1 that you can upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out next month, so you will definitely be able to play your Steam games. However, it only has integrated graphics, so it probably won't run the latest releases splendidly.

The Surface Pro 4 is coming out soon too. The specifications aren't available yet, but if you want the latest technology, it's worth looking out for.

If you're looking for a desktop computer, the SH/SC PC building thread is probably the best place to ask for making the most powerful machine you can on any budget. You can arrange an assembling service if you don't want to put the parts together yourself. If you want to stick with the Macintosh route, I'm sure whichever current iMac or MacBook that fits your costs should do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

Ramaroot posted:

But the surface is really tempting so long as I can hook it up to the big screens at home.

You can if your screens have HDMI input and you buy the Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adaptor sold separately. If the screens only have DVI input, you can also buy an HDMI to DVI convertor, which should be reasonably cheap.

quote:

(fake edit: Looking closer, I may want to budget up to 2k or even 2.5k. drat.)

Haha, it gets like that. (:

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Oven Wrangler

tsa posted:

Spending a little bit more so you can bump the ram up to 16 g and get a SSD will make your life a lot better for not that much cash. 32 might even help, depending on the exact type of graphics work you do those sorts of programs can really eat up ram.

Are you sure that amount of RAM is necessary? The only thing I can think of that could use that much is After Effects' RAM Preview function. I've only ever ran out of RAM when I was working with 500+ 4K 3D images, which took up 27 GB on a 4 GB machine, and even then it didn't stop me.

• Locked thread