Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I totally hosed up to an insane degree one show with my old band. A friend showed up at the bar before our gig with a couple of what he called "muscle relaxers". Now all of us had pretty heavy drug experience, especially live, so it seemed like it would be just another challenge, like, "how well can I play these parts when I can't feel my hands!" Kinda thing. So me and the drummer each took one.

Then it came time to set up our gear, and that was it. It took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to plug in my bass, and I figured if I just stood with my back to the crowd it would look like I knew what I was doing. That's the last thing I remember. Our drummer apparently passed out behind the kit like one or two songs in, and the bar told us to leave and never come back. Ouch.
We kinda shaped up I guess and were able to play one of our best shows ever at that place a month or two later, but it was still a major embarrassment, especially since I'd thought I could handle any substance in any situation (and had up until that).

I've also forgotten how to play parts that I'd have no reason forgetting, but that's a side effect of stage fright. Never broken a string live, but I have switched on the cranked lead channel when meaning to turn on the effects loop, nearly made everyone crap their pants it was so loud. I'm also one of those people that tends to just stand there, not shoegazing but I'll kinda stare off into middle distance while maybe swaying. For a hard rock/metal band that's not the most engaging, but I could never just jump around and poo poo, it just felt so forced when I'd try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread