Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I once played a show and got so annihilated drunk I forgot ALL the songs. Also it was a doom metal band and I was playing through 2 full 100 watt guitar stacks all the way up. Think jet engine volume, any wrong note you play is amplified times 1000x. I "played" a solo after accidentally unplugging BOTH AMPS. It was so bad the entire crowd left, I passed out in front of the bar, and quit the band out of embarrassment. I dont remember any of this except quiting the band, it was all told to me later.

Edit: You'll be fine. Not every performance goes as planned. Its all part of it. Get back out there, you'll only get better. Even top performers that have been doing it every night for 40 years gently caress up.

Pokey Araya fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
My least favorite gently caress up aren't performance stuff, which is on the player, but technical difficulties. I had the screw that held the straplock closest to the headstock shear off right after the first song. I though it was the normal, pulled out of the wood, remember to add tooth picks at the next show and crank it down, nope. I always have a screw driver in my pedal board, try to screw it in a realize its just destroyed. So I'm trying to fix it, everyone else is just doing feedback and cymbal washes, when my drummer decides "gently caress it, here we go" which he is know to do if you take too long messing with poo poo. So I played the rest of the 35 minutes holding my bass up by the highest strings with my right pinky and ring finger. Still haven't fixed it, I just jammed a wood screw in there and guerrilla taped the poo poo out of it. Been like that for a year with no problems. At least I got some cool pictures out of it, and realized I could do it again, which happened this last tour when the strap lock came off of the other side.

Also breaking the lowest string and having to play everything an octave up on the 3rd string, and hitting the second string when it is appropriate is always a fun adventure in, "How well do I know this song."

I've seen my guitarist break 2 strings at the same time, at least I get to improv a drum and bass jam while he changes the strings/tries to find someone in another band with a tuning close to ours.

So far about the only thing that hasn't happened that I'm waiting for is falling off stage, I know its inevitable.

• Locked thread