Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
In college I took a songwriting class (major in music composition) and was pretty anxious about the final performance we had to do. I was doing mixed roles playing drums for other writers which I'm comfortable with, and playing acoustic singer songwriter style. The latter I felt not so good about. I stressed the day before the show since we did a quick sound check and they asked me to play someone else's guitar since mine didn't have a pickup. It played so differently from mine I could hardly do anything with it and felt stupid holding it on stage. So I got home and practiced on my guitar but didn't feel up to it because what's the point? I'm not playing this guitar tomorrow, I'd probably gently caress it up the moment I'm on stage. So I drank a bit that night, practiced some more and couldn't sleep at all, and I mean literally stayed up all night into the next day. I get to the hall to make sure everything is ready to go that afternoon and everyone is excited and I'm just stressed as gently caress and feeling tired. We end up with a few hours before we needed to be back there so I went home to shower and get dressed.

I woke up to my mother pounding on my apartment door, I had passed out and had already missed an hour of the show. I broke down crying but because I was drumming for others I felt so bad I went to the hall just to make sure someone covered for them and apologize. All my family had come up to see my show so I felt like a failure after a string of other failures before this happened.

Needless to say I still have some performance anxiety to work through. Every time I do an open mic gig just doing covers and the occasional original my legs and hands shake nearly uncontrollably. It's helped trying again but I think I might need to do something else to deal with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread