Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I played rock and pop piano for several years just for fun before getting in my head to try working at one of those rock and roll dueling piano bars. I was accustomed to just pulling my baseball cap over my face and playing instrumentals for drunks at parties but had never been on a stage with people staring at me expecting, you know, a personality.

My first night up, nervous as gently caress, a bunch of friends decided to "surprise" me with their support. Nice gesture but it totally compounded my anxiety. So I'm up there with the guy across from me trying to joke around and banter, and all I can do is just stare back at him in dumbstruck silence. I play one song decently and the rest I just awkwardly plink away barely keeping up with him, never finding the key or chords to the songs, sweat dripping down my face. I try to lead a sing-along at one point, jittering and uncomfortable, and the crowd just stares back at me with vacant motionless faces.

Probably a pretty forgettable night for everyone else but felt like total poo poo.

EDIT: That was about five years ago and I gig about once a month with a cover band now and have a blast doing it. Still a little nervous every time, still have some gently caress-ups, but it gets easier every time. I've just learned to make friends with my nerves and realize the audience is usually more forgiving than I think when things go wrong.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread