Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
praxis
Aug 1, 2003

duck monster posted:

There is only one rule in performance: The show *MUST* go on. Drill it into your head and then start planning strategies for dealing with disaster, because disaster happens to everyone.

This is all that matters. No one in the crowd will give a poo poo as long as the music doesn't stop. I stepped into a cover band after they fired their last drummer and the first show went off without a hitch. The second show, not so much. The guitarist had used a Line6 head and foot controller with all his patches/sounds/whatevers pre-loaded on the first show. Second show he's playing a Plexi with a few foot pedals. I'm a drummer - all this means NOTHING to me. For the rest of the band (who had been through this before) it meant the 4th song in the set was going to sound TOTALLY different. When the guitarist kicked into the intro I had no goddamn idea what he was doing. 4 bars later the rest of the band starts and I'm just sitting there. After a solid minute of the band staring at me I just started playing something and we eventually fell into the chorus. While I thought it was a total clusterfuck, no one in the crowd cared because the music didn't stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread