Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Mystery Date
Aug 2, 2005
STRAGHT FOOL IN A GAY POOL (MUPPETS ROCK)
A friend of mine who I was kind of into and was going places with decided she wanted to sing "Baby It's Cold Outside" as a duet for an open mic night I regularly went to. I was down for that even though I'd only heard the song for the first time that day, so we played it a few times and then moved on to some other stuff and called it a night. The next day it's like 7 pm and she texts me "Where are you?". Turns out, shes at the open mic; I figured she meant we'd do it next week since that was around Christmas and that would give us time to practice. I call and say "are you sure we're ready", and like a fool get talked into doing a song that I'm sure I'll screw up. I printed out the lyrics and chords to have at my feet, figuring she'll carry it through since I assume she knows the song...bad idea. We get like halfway into the first verse, then she says a line from waaaaaaay later in the song. I blank on the response line, and it's a show stopper, with her doing the "come on, sing the next line" face. I end up just saying into the mic, "sorry we don't really know the song yet" and just walking with her off stage. Needless to say, it was mortifying.

Then there was another time when I did a lame acoustic version of "Love in this Club" by Usher, and the crowd was really into it and even spontaneously shouted the "Ay!" parts in the chorus, which is still my favorite moment playing live ever.

Performing is the worst thing ever and the best thing, and the more you do it, the more relaxed you become and the more you can get into your zone. It's a skill like any other, and experience is the key to developing it. It sucks what happened, but it happens. Even though you knew the piece super well, this was only your second time performing, making you a novice in that department. Take a little bit to get through the emotions you're having right now and get back in there and show 'em what you've got. If you make mistakes, big deal; it's part of honing your craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread