Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
confederates who should of been hanged
Robert E. Lee
William J. Hardee
James Longstreet
Jefferson Davis
Nathan Bedford Forrest
P. G. T. Beauregard
John C. Breckinridge
View Results

• Locked thread
Spooky Forum Ghost
Mar 9, 2015

What do you think of when you see the flag above? What message do you think it sends?

Racism? Slavery? Hatred? White supremacy?

Something worse?

Now, what do you see when you look at the flag? What is actually on the flag?

The color Red? White? Blue? Thirteen stars?

Is that all? See anything else?

Look closer and take some time to actually think about what you are seeing. Examine every detail of the flag and it's design, because the layout of the contents of this flag actually portrays the true message the flag was designed to send.

And for the record... neither the design nor the content have anything to do with racism, slavery, hatred or white supremacy... or anything worse!

All the COLOR could be removed from this flag, leaving just the outline of the details, and the true message the design is sending could still be determined by anyone with a basic knowledge of history.

First of all, this flag is NOT the "Confederate Flag." It is the "Battle Flag of Northern Virginia." This design, however, is the one most synonymous with the term, and the one used in various forms on many of the other flags that were flown by the Confederate States. It is also the one most hated by those who are completely and totally ignorant of what it stands for.

So take another look at the flag and answer this very simple question : Do you see a big letter "X" anywhere on the flag? What if I were to lay that X down on its side like this? : Do you see it now? The X is formed by the big, blue bands which are outlined with white trim.

Now take another look at the flag. On this big "X" there are thirteen white stars. Do you know what these thirteen stars represent? They represent the thirteen original, united colonies from which the United States began. Each one of these colonies had its own system of self government... until the start of 'northern aggression' when the northern states began trying to usurp authority over the southern states. This was the main cause of the Civil War.

Point of note : The thirteen stars on this flag appear to lie on the blue X... but in reality, the X lies on the stars, allowing them to shine through.

Now, I'd like to ask you a simple question : Do you remember from your grade-school years how the teachers would sometimes ask you to circle the right answers or picture on a work page, or to put an X on a picture or word or other item that didn't belong in a group? That is the same concept this flag is designed around; the stars are laid out in the pattern of an X, and the blue bands are put on the thirteen stars to show that the southern states no longer wanted to be a part of the union with the northern states. In simpler terms, the message of flag's design is simply this... CROSS US OUT of your Union! The southern states withdrew from the union in a movement called "secession," which led to the Civil War.

That is the only message this flag is sending!

That is all there is to it!

It is just that simple!

If this flag actually represented slavery, hatred, white supremacy, or something worse, as so many biased and uneducated people so foolishly believe, then its design would reflect that by incorporating images of those whom it stood against, and there would be a big X on their images.

But that is NOT what is on this flag!

And that is NOT the message this flag sends!

This flag is NOT racist! NEVER has been! NEVER will be!

And as I stated earlier, all that people need to have to be able to see and understand this obvious truth is a basic knowledge of history... and an ounce of common sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Ahahhaahhaaaaaa

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Probably like Bocephus more than Sr.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
whoa thought i accidentally clicked on facebook for a second there

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

thats nice

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Kyoon thread

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Thanks for the good detailed post, OP.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

OP is aptly named, indeed.

Adar posted:

Kyoon thread

If only... I miss Kyoon threads.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Why would you post this as a plain text thread and deny us the glory of this web 1.0 formatting?

http://www.trainweb.org/seaboard/FLAG/confederateflag.htm

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Defenestration posted:

Why would you post this as a plain text thread and deny us the glory of this web 1.0 formatting?

quote:

For the record... THIS is the true Confederate flag :

... and this is the seal of the Confederate States :

... NEITHER ONE OF WHICH show anything suggestive of racism, slavery, hatred or white supremacy on them!

welp, that's sure convinced me

Unlearning
May 7, 2011
I know man, and the Swastika is actually supposed to be associated with well-being! Why do ignorant people who don't understand its original meaning associate it with racial cleansing!?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Um. You need a history lesson.

This recent shooting ia really bringing the morons out of the woodwork

I wonder what the Army of Northern Virginia was fighting to uphold....

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Expected triangles

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

CommieGIR posted:

I wonder what the Army of Northern Virginia was fighting to uphold....

Why, the dignity of the South, the last chivalrous knights, and the rights of the Southron peoples, of course?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Unlearning posted:

I know man, and the Swastika is actually supposed to be associated with well-being! Why do ignorant people who don't understand its original meaning associate it with racial cleansing!?
Beat me to it, much like so many slavemasters.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 21, 2015

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Venomous posted:

that the CSA had lovely design principles, yes

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

The crucifix is just an execution tool of criminals in the Roman Empire, and has accrued no other symbolism over the last 2000 years.

This is just a moon and a star. You should have no other opinions regarding this symbol. If you do, you need a history lesson.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

More White Noise posted:

If this flag actually represented slavery, hatred, white supremacy, or something worse, as so many biased and uneducated people so foolishly believe, then its design would reflect that by incorporating images of those whom it stood against, and there would be a big X on their images.

Maybe the Army of Northern Virginia didn't put those things on their flags because it was already on their money:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Defenestration posted:

I've seen crazier.
http://rexcurry.net/

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
i was expecting an "Illuminati Confirmed" joke when I clicked on this thread tbh.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

tl;dr

Seven Force
Nov 9, 2005

WARNING!

BOSS IS APPROACHING!!!

SEVEN FORCE

--ACTIONS--

SHITPOSTING

LOVE LOVE DANCING

gently caress your flag

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I used to be against slavery op, but you have convinced me owning black people isn't racist. How do we repeal the greedy godless Yankee's 13th Amendment.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!
The only two Confederate generals who should have been spared some sort of postwar punishment were Longstreet and Moseby, as both admitted after the war that yep, it had been all about slavery, and Longstreet even committed the cardinal sin of joining the Republican party (he and Grant had been besties before the war, and he'd even stood as best man when Grant married Julia).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Sherman did nothing wrong (apart from leaving some things in the south still standing).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

quote:

“The people of Louisiana were hardly responsible for slavery, as they had inherited it,” Sherman assured his audience. Further, while the well-being of field slaves might depend on “the temper and dispositions of their masters and overseers,” Sherman thought slaves who worked in family homes were “probably better treated than any slaves on earth.” When he explained that he favored keeping slave families intact and allowing slaves to read and write in order to increase their value as property, a fellow guest pounded the table in excited support of Sherman’s remarks.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Should have goatse'd instead.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Here are my favorite pictures of the Confederate flag :patriot:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vwgOMgyk0E

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

ThirdPartyView posted:

Should have goatse'd instead.

Now that you mention it, the flag does share some symmetries with that more famous picture.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
excellent username/op combo

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

A Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union posted:

Our position is thoroughly identified with the institution of slavery-- the greatest material interest of the world. Its labor supplies the product which constitutes by far the largest and most important portions of commerce of the earth. These products are peculiar to the climate verging on the tropical regions, and by an imperious law of nature, none but the black race can bear exposure to the tropical sun. These products have become necessities of the world, and a blow at slavery is a blow at commerce and civilization. That blow has been long aimed at the institution, and was at the point of reaching its consummation. There was no choice left us but submission to the mandates of abolition, or a dissolution of the Union, whose principles had been subverted to work out our ruin.

The true meaning of the Confederate flag: preventing sun burn and skin cancer.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

excellent username/op combo

:agreed:

also thanks op i never realized the basic elements of design present in the confederate flag, that was very illuminating to learn that there is an x and thirteen stars

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

The true meaning of the Confederate flag

Wrong: Its for 69 Dodge Chargers.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
gently caress Harriet Tubman, put John Brown on the $20

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
As awful as Jackson was I don't think we should stop the treasury department's 90 year long troll of him.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Venomous posted:

I want to see it with the swastika now. And why not an inverted cross? Or a fasces?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

As awful as Jackson was I don't think we should stop the treasury department's 90 year long troll of him.

He was an appalling monster in almost everything he did, but he did threaten to hang John C. Calhoun, and that ain't nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

A white supremacist posted:

:words:

• Locked thread