Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
The poster in question is Gunky Junket and it falls to us, BYOB, to help her learn to post better. I don't want to be too uppity about this: some of us aren't particularly good posters either, but that's ok because it means that the bar isn't being set too high here. And some of us are good posters -- I just don't want to name names or anything because that could be counterproductive. My point is, let's see if we can help solve a problem, which is that Gunky Junket wants to post on the Something Awful forums, but her posts sometimes get her banned or probated.

As an added bonus, perhaps other posters, who are not Gunky Junket, might learn something, too. And in fact, maybe we will all learn things about each other, and grow as individuals and as a community.

I want to stress that there are many many ways this thread could go badly, and I don't want any of those things to happen, so let's start, in this thread, with a fairly rigid set of expectations and then go from there.

1) Post in the spirit of genuine helpfulness. If you do not feel like you are posting in this spirit, do not post here!
2) Pretend this thread does not exist in all other threads in BYOB. If you would like to give an unhelpful, unforgiving, or unloving opinion of this thread, please do it in QCS or FYAD. Don't really do it in FYAD though, I don't think that would go over too well.
3) Use examples of good posts to help make your points. Do not use examples of bad posts at all, except those made by Gunky Junket (I may revisit this, but let's start there for now).
4) Post good in this thread, to lead by example.
5) Feel free to talk about any topic in this thread. In fact it's probably a good idea to talk about lots of things because a thread that's just a bunch of people giving tips and advice can be pretty terrible. Consider this a general chat thread.
6) For instance, talk about lunch, sports, papercrafts, travel, or whatever in this thread. It's fine if you want to post in this thread without ever giving any advice at all.
7) Post in the spirit of forgiveness and love for each other and yourselves. If you do not feel like you are posting in this spirit, do not post here!
8) If anyone is bullying you, please tell a teacher.
9) Catchall rule: When in doubt, ask yourself "What would joke_explainer post?"
10) If I ask you to stop posting in this thread, please do that, and don't start posting in it again until I say it's ok.

I am not a big probater, but I'm going to be strict here, as far as these expectations go.

dogcrash truther fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

Hello

e: i hope you are all having a nice day. It's the June solstice! I hope gunky junket is having a good day too.

dogcrash truther
I had a fantastic lunch at a little cafe todayh. It was salmon, couscous, peppers and tomatos, and I had a chocolate and peanut butter ice cream sandwich for dessert and also drank this beer: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26753/173704/

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I liked some of Gunky junkets posts and am going to follow this thread

hi Gunky junket

alnilam

Today I gardened some, i built some structures for cucumbers to climb up and i weeded and spread some mulchy stuff and built tomato cages from sticks. Then i went to the city pool :coolspot: now I'm putting clothes away from a wedding i went to this weekend.

Later I'm gonna cook some pasta with white beans, and sage from the garden. It's been a good summer solstice :)

What are y'all up to today

Bwee
Don't know who that is but they suck.

i am he

im not sure if its possible for gunky junket to post any better.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Today I went to a Bahamian hotel's pool area, rode their lazy river, rapids, went down their low speed and high speed water slides(one of them went through a shark tank), chilled at the beach and now I'm back in the room with family enjoying the view while having dinner.

E: I like how a bag of chips there is like $9 but at the market a block away it's $2.

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 21, 2015

dogcrash truther

i am he posted:

im not sure if its possible for gunky junket to post any better.

This is a possibility but what the heck, what would it really hurt to try

i am he

dogcrash truther posted:

This is a possibility but what the heck, what would it really hurt to try

i think you misunderstand me

dogcrash truther

i am he posted:

i think you misunderstand me

haha ok now I get you, but what I mean, and I admit that this is a particularly weird definition of "better" is "in a manner that won't get them banned or probated"

dogcrash truther

alnilam posted:

Today I gardened some, i built some structures for cucumbers to climb up and i weeded and spread some mulchy stuff and built tomato cages from sticks. Then i went to the city pool :coolspot: now I'm putting clothes away from a wedding i went to this weekend.

Later I'm gonna cook some pasta with white beans, and sage from the garden. It's been a good summer solstice :)

What are y'all up to today

how do you do so many things in a day. I do one thing and then I'm like "ok, that's enough...too far"

dogcrash truther

Yobgoblin posted:

Today I went to a Bahamian hotel's pool area, rode their lazy river, rapids, went down their low speed and high speed water slides(one of them went through a shark tank),

do that again tomorrow but take pictures, water sliding through a shark tank seems good to me

i am he

well if they just post here they wont ever be banned or probated...

dogcrash truther

i am he posted:

well if they just post here they wont ever be banned or probated...

that's true,, and it's kind of a win win wouldn't you say

i am he

yes i would say that

Ace of Baes
Today I'm going to raise undead lichs from the corpses of my enemies, then I'm going to chug a bottle of $3 vodka and smash my face through a pane glass window over and over again, later I'm going to poop in my pants and read Lolita.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

dogcrash truther
just read lolita. the rest doesnt sound like fun

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dogcrash truther posted:

do that again tomorrow but take pictures, water sliding through a shark tank seems good to me

My phone isn't waterproof but I'll see if my cousin lets me use her go-pro tomorrow.

E: A picture of an overhead lobster tank from last night's aquarium walk:

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 22, 2015

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Here is a photo that I took of the Light of God shining down on the Rocky Mountain Power Gadsby Generation Facility in Salt Lake City, Utah.
I am not good with words, so I communicate mainly with images.

alnilam

That's pretty, it could use a floating ship and space wife though

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

alnilam posted:

That's pretty, it could use a floating ship and space wife though

:agreed:

Ace of Baes
im gonna host a texas holdem game next weekend for my friends, idont know what i should do for a buy in/distribution of prizes

well probably have about 6-8 players, i was thinking maybe just charge a flat buy in of like $10 and then make 1st prize $50, 2nd prize $20, third prize $10 for 8 people etc.

----------------

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if the prize was the pot?

Ace of Baes
some of the people who are coming have never played before or are really bad, so i feel like having a non-buy in game where theyre betting their actual money would be a bad idea

----------------

Ace of Baes
with a buy in you kinda just assume your out the $10, and whatever happens during the game isnt a big deal, when you play for cash though poo poo can get out of hand quickly and feeligns get hurt, especially if the player is a noob and takes it personally

----------------

alnilam

suicide bi cop posted:

with a buy in you kinda just assume your out the $10, and whatever happens during the game isnt a big deal, when you play for cash though poo poo can get out of hand quickly and feeligns get hurt, especially if the player is a noob and takes it personally

i think you have the right idea

FluffieDuckie

dogcrash truther posted:

I had a fantastic lunch at a little cafe todayh. It was salmon, couscous, peppers and tomatos, and I had a chocolate and peanut butter ice cream sandwich for dessert and also drank this beer: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26753/173704/

Omg I had salmon for lunch too!

[posting note: That was the segue that showed that we have something in common. Now is my follow up interesting antidote]

My husband ordered a chicken sandwich but they brought him a bacon cheeseburger instead and he ate it anyway because he's the kind of agreeable person who looks at the plate and says hey, that looks pretty good I'll just eat that anyway.

[posting note: now I'll make my point]

Easy going agreeability is important in a life partner and is also a good trait to have if you want to post here and not get probated

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

dogcrash truther

FluffieDuckie posted:

Omg I had salmon for lunch too!

[posting note: That was the segue that showed that we have something in common. Now is my follow up interesting antidote]

My husband ordered a chicken sandwich but they brought him a bacon cheeseburger instead and he ate it anyway because he's the kind of agreeable person who looks at the plate and says hey, that looks pretty good I'll just eat that anyway.

[posting note: now I'll make my point]

Easy going agreeability is important in a life partner and is also a good trait to have if you want to post here and not get probated

masterful

GEExCEE

At Andrew's Bar-Mitzvah I peed in my friend Danny's coke and told him it was a "special drink"

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
On sundays the buses don't run past like, noon, so I usually hoof it home. It's not very far, maybe 5 miles, and every time I find something cool and interesting. I don't take my bike for this reason, because I would miss it all. Example: today I was on a different side of the street as usual, and I was kinda looking at the woods, singing to myself, and noticed a trail shooting out into the woods. It seemed like a really odd spot, right next to the highway, and I felt like I found a secret little area. It's actually a trail, with markers, but I've never seen it before. Part of it goes out over a bog. It was very cool, and while this area is really boring, I love the amount of nature around me.

Part of living a fulfilling life is paying attention to the area around you, and finding things that make you feel good even when at times you feel everything else is poo poo.

----------------

joke_explainer

FluffieDuckie posted:

Just to clarify, Fluffie meant 'anecdote' here. Nobody was poisoned.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
cool thing a struggling poster can do: take useless junk lying around make a thing out of it. like arrange it to look like another thing. not garbage, but just.. the stupid broken crap that piles up in people's lives. busted up box fan that's been in the closet? take it apart and set aside anything that looks interesting. umbrella that's kinda dilapidated? throw it in. maybe even a camera you haven't even powered on in 5 years since you got a newer model, and the battery on it is toast. stuff like that. not things that can be donated to the needy, but just crap. mash it into a pile and glue it all up and see what it looks like. i think it'd be interesting to see what people make.

----------------

treasure bear

Qwerinty posted:

cool thing a struggling poster can do: take useless junk lying around make a thing out of it. like arrange it to look like another thing. not garbage, but just.. the stupid broken crap that piles up in people's lives. busted up box fan that's been in the closet? take it apart and set aside anything that looks interesting. umbrella that's kinda dilapidated? throw it in. maybe even a camera you haven't even powered on in 5 years since you got a newer model, and the battery on it is toast. stuff like that. not things that can be donated to the needy, but just crap. mash it into a pile and glue it all up and see what it looks like. i think it'd be interesting to see what people make.

FluffieDuckie

joke_explainer posted:

Just to clarify, Fluffie meant 'anecdote' here. Nobody was poisoned.

lol that's what i get for phone posting from the parking lot of home depot.

i like it though so i'm leaving it that way

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo

FluffieDuckie posted:

lol that's what i get for phone posting from the parking lot of home depot.

i like it though so i'm leaving it that way

You know how some people can throw a blanket on the back of the chair and looks awesome, while when I try it I have to arrange the blanket all special by hand, and it still never looks is good? Your posting is like that, the first part, where you just throw it and it looks good

FluffieDuckie

fema crisis actor posted:

You know how some people can throw a blanket on the back of the chair and looks awesome, while when I try it I have to arrange the blanket all special by hand, and it still never looks is good? Your posting is like that, the first part, where you just throw it and it looks good

this is easily the nicest thing anyone's said to me all day :love:

Ace of Baes
cool idea for struggling or new posters, rob a gas station and then post about it

----------------

verily carefree

I like to poat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

maybe an example is good, i did this last fall and while afterwards i kinda hated it, now i look back fondly at it. i made it from a broken gamecube, a broken camcorder lens, a destroyed laptop hdd, old shoes i wore down to nothing, hand grips of some crutches that i ended up putting back on and donating, my biking gloves, the case and lid of a brass compass that never pointed north, or in any direction in particular.

look at that pile of poo poo.

----------------

• Locked thread