Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

nooneofconsequence posted:

Is Ziggo coming back?
It was a lightweight, so no. There's only a 250 lb. class in this iteration of Battlebots. Some years ago, there was a bot called Megabyte that was like a heavyweight Ziggo, it was p. awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8ngygH4ii8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Pretty pleased with the reboot overall.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Plan X looks like it's going to just get shredded by anything with a competent spinner.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Plan X looks like it's going to just get shredded by anything with a competent spinner.

It got shredded by a lovely walking spinner.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I liked that one shot at the end of one of Plan X's minibots impotently running into Plan X after it just got shredded to hell.

VBane
Oct 31, 2011
Man, that was a blast from the past. Amazed that not only is it back, but moved up from Comedy Central to network TV, not that that means as much as it used to.

Did my heart good to the Ladybug girl back and still battling. Pretty sure that thing was the cover to a plastic children's sandbox. (I had a turtle one)

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Yeah, I think the fix was in on that first fight somewhat. Plan X has a better story going forward and variability through different equipment loadouts, and just looks like a cooler bot. It did no real damage to lovely walker bot, but that bot would take out huge chunks of it any time it got the chance to. I guess you could get points for control, but I think controlling a crappy walker and getting it to flip back over is more impressive than moving around Plan X with what has to be a dozen wheels or so. It really needs to switch out that hammer for a sawblade of its own, and give the minibots literally any weapon because they seemed useless in the first fight. I'm sure explosives of any kind are banned, with good reason, but they seem like perfect suicide bombers.

On the other hand, the only real damage the walker did was when Plan X was stuck and helpless, so it's hard to call it a superior design. Basically, show me the judge's scorecards, or I'll never take this seriously as a sport :colbert:.

Robnoxious posted:

Also important, does Grant Imahara have a bot in the field?

Well c'mon now, we want to have some question as to who the winner is. If you put a Grantbot in the ring it'll be over real quick. You'd have a prime Muhammad Ali fighting Glass Joe from Punch Out every other week.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

NowonSA posted:

Yeah, I think the fix was in on that first fight somewhat. Plan X has a better story going forward and variability through different equipment loadouts, and just looks like a cooler bot. It did no real damage to lovely walker bot, but that bot would take out huge chunks of it any time it got the chance to. I guess you could get points for control, but I think controlling a crappy walker and getting it to flip back over is more impressive than moving around Plan X with what has to be a dozen wheels or so. It really needs to switch out that hammer for a sawblade of its own, and give the minibots literally any weapon because they seemed useless in the first fight. I'm sure explosives of any kind are banned, with good reason, but they seem like perfect suicide bombers.

On the other hand, the only real damage the walker did was when Plan X was stuck and helpless, so it's hard to call it a superior design. Basically, show me the judge's scorecards, or I'll never take this seriously as a sport :colbert:.
It's much like the old Battlebots: some bots are there for show and others are there to win. It ended up being a good mix. And I imagine some of the more unique bots have potential marketing opportunities if the robot battling concept takes off again.

quote:

Well c'mon now, we want to have some question as to who the winner is. If you put a Grantbot in the ring it'll be over real quick. You'd have a prime Muhammad Ali fighting Glass Joe from Punch Out every other week.
Deadblow never won anything, though.

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Some of you might be thinking "hmm, Complete Control sounds familiar for some reason."

This is why:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Coaaab posted:

Deadblow never won anything, though.

Eh, I have to figure Grant's got some sweet robot tech now though, having more experience now.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
i'm surprised how much I enjoyed the reboot. I was really happy they didn't stuff it full of sappy backstory crap.

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Oh man, I loved battle bots back in the day. I can't believe it's back, and with such a spectacular episode. That minibot just exploded in such an amazing way.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NowonSA posted:

Eh, I have to figure Grant's got some sweet robot tech now though, having more experience now.

The team that made Razorback makes bomb disposal robots for the military. There are all sorts of skill levels represented in this competition.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 22, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

MikeNCR posted:

Some of you might be thinking "hmm, Complete Control sounds familiar for some reason."

This is why:

I had forgotten Complete Control had goon sponsorship.
Still though, a hybrid wedge/flipper bot?
Two things most people loathe in a Battlebot.

We want massive carnage not a flippybot.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Watching the westcoast broadcast, and man Icewave looks as good as anything I remember from any of the previous seasons. Nice carnage out there

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
gently caress the ocean! :gonk:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Seriously gently caress wedges.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
Jesus loving christ, its been decade and Nightmare still doesn't have a way to loving right itself

Thought that destruction of the tiny bot might been the single best hit I have ever seen on battlebots

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 22, 2015

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
According to this Wiki page the Jay Leno Chinkilla bot was there! There's also a list of robots that are in the competition. Is Bronco built by the same people who made Toro because that robot was cool as hell.

http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Badnik96/(SPOILERS)_BattleBots_2015_Competitor_Chart

Also according to some Reddit user, one of the changes in rules is that flight and non-tethered projectiles is allowed. I don't think any of these bots can fly but god drat this needs to have another season so we can have flying robot battles.

keevo fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 22, 2015

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

The Glumslinger posted:

Jesus loving christ, its been decade and Nightmare still doesn't have a way to loving right itself

Thought that destruction of the tiny bot might been the single best hit I have ever seen on battlebots

Nightmare is up to his usual tricks of losing but in a spectacular fashion, just like the old days. This time the addition of liquid fuel to the arena made it even better.

https://gfycat.com/BrownMildDouglasfirbarkbeetle

Fatality

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

keevo posted:

According to this Wiki page the Jay Leno Chinkilla bot was there! There's also a list of robots that are in the competition. Is Bronco built by the same people who made Toro because that robot was cool as hell.

http://battlebots.wikia.com/wiki/User_blog:Badnik96/(SPOILERS)_BattleBots_2015_Competitor_Chart

Also according to some Reddit user, one of the changes in rules is that flight and non-tethered projectiles is allowed. I don't think any of these bots can fly but god drat this needs to have another season so we can have flying robot battles.

I want to see a quadcopter with a machine gun next year

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
If anyone has questions about anything related to Battlebots, I'd be glad to help out. I've been building bots since 2002, and watching this show just made me feel 20 years old again. :)

That exact sticker is the reason I'm posting here today. I saw it in person at Battlebots, and made a mental note to remember that website (and then lurk for 4 years before registering). If it was good enough for Complete Control, it must be a great website!

iastudent posted:

Why would you design a bot without wheels :psyduck:

I haven't read the rules for this current Battlebots, but you usually get a weight bonus if you have a non-wheeled robot. Son of Whyachi really abused that in Season 3 when the bonus was 50% I think. It barely qualified as a walker then. The rules were changed to be more strict about what a "walking" robot was and the weight bonus was reduced. Honestly I don't think that Wrecks qualifies for the weight bonus under the old rules.

Pakled posted:

Another bot with minibots. Interesting. I'm curious if those'll ever be effective. Were they allowed under the old rules?

Yes. You built to a weight limit, so the sum of your bots must be under. In practice it was never effective. You lose if 50% of your weight is KO'd. If you have two bots each weighing half the limit, you lose if one of them is knocked out. And obviously a, say 120 lb bot would have a really good chance of KOing a 60lb bot. There was a superheavy weight (340lb) bot call The Swarm in the old battlebots that was three roughly equal weight bots, one a lifter, one a pusher and one a spinner, but it never made it to the TV rounds. You saw what happened to the tiny Warrior Clan bot. That thing was completely destroyed, and replacing a bot like that is not cheap.

As a side note, I've personally lost a match to Warrior before. They didn't really explain it in the show, but when the spinning ring gets up to speed, somehow it turns all of that stored energy into powering the flipper. Like the ring comes to a dead stop and the flipper activates with enough force to launch a 240lb bot 6 feet into the air. Possibly causing four separate and independently fatal things to happen to said launched robot. *cough, cough*

Liar Lyre posted:

Anyone remember the one bot from the old series that had a huge hydraulic claw that crushed other bots?

Razer, made by the guys who made Warhead. They don't want to (or can't?) compete with Razer in Battlebots because of the reputation it had in Robot Wars. There might be copyright issues there.

keevo posted:

Is Bronco built by the same people who made Toro because that robot was cool as hell.

Yup. I saw the Inertia Labs guys in the intro.

keevo posted:

I fought a flying robot once with an antweight bot (1lb). I don't think flying robots will ever do well because they'd be fragile, and you can't properly deliver any kind of real force to the other guy. I supposed a flying robot that could grab the other guy and drop them repeatedly could work in theory, but it'd be really, really hard to pull off in combat. In robot fighting, the dominant position is on the bottom, not the top.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFYzyrfrP0

Oh Nightmare, after all these years you're still trash :allears:

Also Plan X is the best if only because of the glowing brain in a jar

Pakled posted:

Another bot with minibots. Interesting. I'm curious if those'll ever be effective. Were they allowed under the old rules?

IIRC they only ever came out during the exhibition matches before the final, so you'd get stuff like Minion versus three Biohazards, because why not.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

GuavaMoment posted:

That exact sticker is the reason I'm posting here today. I saw it in person at Battlebots, and made a mental note to remember that website (and then lurk for 4 years before registering). If it was good enough for Complete Control, it must be a great website!
:regd06: LURK MORE FUCKER! ;)

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

It's TYOOL 2015, Battlebots is back, and Multibots continue to ruin everything.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

keevo posted:

:woop: this is awesome. I want to see a flying bot utterly destroy a wedge/flipper bot.

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

You say that I think it's you, but I don't agree with that.
They mentioned a wildcard in the warhead fight, can someone explain the wildcards to me as I can only watch the fights on youtube and not the whole episode at the moment.

Blue Canary fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 22, 2015

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Pakled posted:

:woop: this is awesome. I want to see a flying bot utterly destroy a wedge/flipper bot.

Like drop a shotput right onto their flipper mechanism on borebots like Biohazard.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I'd like to see nightmares builder come back with a redesign like he did with backlash. Nightmare is cool as gently caress but it's a pretty bad robot all things considered. Backlash was able to self right and function while upside down.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Blue Canary posted:

They mentioned a wildcard in the warhead fight, can someone explain the wildcards to me as I can only watch the fights on youtube and not the whole episode at the moment.

They didn't really explain it, but I assume it's either a second chance to continue in the tourney or some kind of losers bracket.

E: oops, double post

Blue Canary
Aug 31, 2011

You say that I think it's you, but I don't agree with that.

Great Beer posted:

They didn't really explain it, but I assume it's either a second chance to continue in the tourney or some kind of losers bracket.

E: oops, double post

I'm guessing that there'll be 4 wildcards then, as they need 4 robots to make it a round of 16 for round 2.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

MikeNCR posted:

This is why:

Hey that's me.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Blue Canary posted:

I'm guessing that there'll be 4 wildcards then, as they need 4 robots to make it a round of 16 for round 2.

Yeah there are 4, so that's probably what it is.

razorscooter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFYzyrfrP0

Oh Nightmare, after all these years you're still trash :allears:

I love that the commentators call it. "Oh this is gonna be a classic"

Does anyone know what happened to Tony Buchignani? Hazard was so simple but so loving good that it took a bot designed specifically to beat him to finally dethrone it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHSAH8U0fL4

Gotta love Tony just clapping

oh hey there Bloot,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxV92vHgyCA

The Whole Internet
May 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Next episode is gonna have Last Rites. For those of you who haven't seen anything since battlebots or robot wars ended, and don't know what Last Rites is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQpwI1KfEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCjlUIILyo0

It's a pretty big deal. Also, it doesn't have that flipping issue Nightmare has.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

MikeNCR posted:

This is why:

He'll always have a place in my heart for suplexing Will Wright's bot. :allears:

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
Awesome to see this back, even though the only way I have of watching it right now is through individual fights uploaded on Youtube.

Anyone know the name of the Battlebot that had a massive clown thing on top of it? I want to see that thing get shredded again.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

The Whole Internet posted:

Next episode is gonna have Last Rites. For those of you who haven't seen anything since battlebots or robot wars ended, and don't know what Last Rites is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztQpwI1KfEk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCjlUIILyo0

It's a pretty big deal. Also, it doesn't have that flipping issue Nightmare has.

This thing owns bones, excited about next week.

These minibots seem dumb as hell, though; you'd figure you could get more out of a bit more armor than some annoying little jerks. I thought Warrior Clan might be on to something with their design for them but that one just got loving annihilated.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Liar Lyre posted:

Anyone remember the one bot from the old series that had a huge hydraulic claw that crushed other bots?

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Keeping my fingers crossed for Grandson of Whyachi. That bot ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

GuavaMoment posted:

Razer, made by the guys who made Warhead. They don't want to (or can't?) compete with Razer in Battlebots because of the reputation it had in Robot Wars. There might be copyright issues there.

Yes! Razer was one of my favorite bots. It looks like some one made a Razer clone in the reboot with a burning mohawk. If it has the same crushing strength as Razer, that is going to be my favorite to win.

• Locked thread