Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I somehow didn't find out Battlebots was back from its decade of nonexistance until a couple days ago. I've shotgunned the entirety of season 2, and was about to do the first when someone mentioned it's airing in the UK, so I think I might hang out with one of the Robot Wars communities while they watch it, because that's fun.

I really can't decide whether or not to like Overhaul. On one hand, it's kinda... not very good. On the other hand, electric blue is like my second-favorite color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Keiya posted:

I really can't decide whether or not to like Overhaul. On one hand, it's kinda... not very good. On the other hand, electric blue is like my second-favorite color.

On another hand, the guy who made it wears cat ears.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Animebot isn't very good but I do find the grapplebots that rely on precision rather than raw power interesting. Red Devil seemed like the best take on it this series.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

On another hand, the guy who made it wears cat ears.

And the bot color is based off an anime character.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The problem with making an anime bot is if it's not a mecha why the hell are you making an anime bot

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Great Beer posted:

It was nice of warrior to sit still and do nothing while they were beating up its drone.

They we're acknowledging that Hypershock earned the kill. You show proper respect to people who made a rake a viable offensive weapon.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm glad animebot was destroyed, again, and God willing it will be again next year.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The one I can't figure out is Ghost Raptor because the guy seems like a huge prick about his robot that has lovely armor and gets obliterated instantly when one of the 500 exposed chains is taken out or the weapon breaks in half or whatever.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

IDK, seems like you figured that out perfectly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

PBS Newshour posted:

The problem with making an anime bot is if it's not a mecha why the hell are you making an anime bot

What are the rules for bots with ballistic weapons? Because an ugly replica of an RX-75 in miniature would probably do some serious damage if the aiming/weapon system was fast/accurate enough.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Overhaul's driver does have some very detailed build reports and stuff that went to his bot that are good reads if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=3895

I hope he comes back next season especially if he doubles down on the anime:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

They should team up with ObiOverlord and make a mech.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

What are the rules for bots with ballistic weapons? Because an ugly replica of an RX-75 in miniature would probably do some serious damage if the aiming/weapon system was fast/accurate enough.

While projectiles are allowed, they're not supposed to strong enough to damage the walls or floor. Unfortunately, this means that they wouldn't be able to damage other robots with out precisely hitting any sort of exposed parts.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

The one I can't figure out is Ghost Raptor because the guy seems like a huge prick about his robot that has lovely armor and gets obliterated instantly when one of the 500 exposed chains is taken out or the weapon breaks in half or whatever.

I think the main reason he gets featured so much is he can do the tv in front of a camera thing pretty well. Hopefully next year he brings a robot that isn't dogshit.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

His fighting robot sucks but his cleaning ones are great. I have an XV-21 programmed to vacuum my living room every other night and it does a great job. It would get trashed by tombstone tho.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I also have a neato robovac and its great. My 18 month old lately has decided its part of the family and goes to check in on it in the morning to make sure it slept well :3:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Xelkelvos posted:

While projectiles are allowed, they're not supposed to strong enough to damage the walls or floor. Unfortunately, this means that they wouldn't be able to damage other robots with out precisely hitting any sort of exposed parts.

What about a two-stage system that soaks the enemy bot in fuel and then ignites it at some middle-arena range as opposed to the generic short range torch systems a lot of bots had?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Wade Wilson posted:

What about a two-stage system that soaks the enemy bot in fuel and then ignites it at some middle-arena range as opposed to the generic short range torch systems a lot of bots had?

No liquids basically.

Here's a rulebook: http://battlebots.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/BattleBots-Design-Rules.Rev-2016.2.pdf

AbrahamLincolnLog
Oct 1, 2014

Note to self: This one's the shitty one
Which is a shame because a bot that just sprays water and/or oil would be hilarious. :v:

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

Which is a shame because a bot that just sprays water and/or oil would be hilarious. :v:

Nauseating quality but the team that is currently known for Bronco once had a bot that basically used a fire extinguisher to beat gas powered opponents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXeC9EpB-e8

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I'd love to see a battlebots type show made in the desert with car sized bots. Have it all monitored remotely and let them have pretty much anything goes in terms of weapons. A nerd can dream.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

halokiller posted:

Overhaul's driver does have some very detailed build reports and stuff that went to his bot that are good reads if you're into that sort of thing: http://www.etotheipiplusone.net/?p=3895

I hope he comes back next season especially if he doubles down on the anime:

ugh, just......

man.

I would design and build a robot specifically to destroy that guys robot. Like gently caress the competition, just tear it to pieces and then detonate the remains and knock both of us out of the competition.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

cool

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

mashed_penguin posted:

I'd love to see a battlebots type show made in the desert with car sized bots. Have it all monitored remotely and let them have pretty much anything goes in terms of weapons. A nerd can dream.

I'm sure the Survival Research Labs people would get involved.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gromit posted:

I'm sure the Survival Research Labs people would get involved.

MegaBots would no doubt be down for that as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

quote:

Flame Output Requirements
Flame outputs are subject to the following:
• Only pure propane, pure butane, or a combination of the two can be used.
• Gas storage per bot is limited to 16.4 ounces in a single protected tank.
• The gas cannot be deliberately heated or cooled.
• The flame effect can be started and stopped at will using the remote control.
• The maximum length of the flame is 4 feet.
• The length and angle limits of the flame must be adjustable.
• Flames from Flybots must be aimed vertically downward....

b. Projectile Weapons
Projectile weapons are allowed, as long as they do not create an arena-fouling problem.
Projectile weapons must not use explosives. Springs, catapults and gas-pressure powered
guns may be acceptable. You may be required to show that your projectile weapon will not
damage the Lexan exterior of the arena....

f. Prohibited Weapons
The following weapon types are not allowed under any circumstances:
• Fouling devices such as glue, nets, fishing line, ball bearings and such.
• Squirting liquids or liquefied gasses such as liquid Nitrogen.
• EMP generators or other means intended to damage or jam the opponent bot’s electronics.
• Deliberate smoke generators.
• Bright lights, lasers, etc., that are distracting or dangerous to vision.
• Weapons that damage the other bot by destroying themselves.

Well, now I know why everyone goes for some variation of a drum/blade spinner to do any serious damage. :sigh:

EDIT: Something like a more agile version of Mechadon would be fun to watch.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 7, 2016

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

First of the unaired rumbles is up. Skorpios, Bucktooth Burl, and Deathroll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Lgpsl71EI

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

:geno:
I personally would have given a judges decision to the hell raisers in that one

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

I honestly thought they had been removed this year. They didn't trigger once during the main tournament.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't know why Battlebots is so bad at arena hazards, but man, they're not getting any better.

Supposedly they didn't use the hellraisers for the main fights because they're more likely to get jammed or prompt something bad to happen, but then why even have them at all :shrug:

Imo just take the saws and hellraisers out, and beef up the pulverizers and screws

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Nah, the saws are cool. They make noise and sparks and punish people for thinking they can get away with less armor on their bottom. Get rid of those stupid little spikes all over the arena and the useless ramps, replace the ramps with a pair of team controlled flippers. Also let the competitors control the saws so control bots can shove an opponent on to them for some damage.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Great Beer posted:

Nah, the saws are cool. They make noise and sparks and punish people for thinking they can get away with less armor on their bottom. Get rid of those stupid little spikes all over the arena and the useless ramps, replace the ramps with a pair of team controlled flippers. Also let the competitors control the saws so control bots can shove an opponent on to them for some damage.

Basically give the teams access to the RW hazards other than the pit and house bots (flamethrower, flipper, floor spikes) since the team running the area seem way too gunshy about using them.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xelkelvos posted:

Basically give the teams access to the RW hazards other than the pit and house bots (flamethrower, flipper, floor spikes) since the team running the area seem way too gunshy about using them.

Absolutely. Without arena hazards the event might as well be performed on a flat plane, and robots like Tombstone would be far less effective in that situation. Giving control of the hazards to the teams would make things more strategic and fun.

The problem is that something like the saws would be annihilated the second a spinner contacted them, and I suspect the controllers wanted to preserve their arena.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

MegaBots would no doubt be down for that as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVJTGLL2SnI

this is suppose to happen this year why isn't this happening arghh

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Absolutely. Without arena hazards the event might as well be performed on a flat plane, and robots like Tombstone would be far less effective in that situation. Giving control of the hazards to the teams would make things more strategic and fun.

The problem is that something like the saws would be annihilated the second a spinner contacted them, and I suspect the controllers wanted to preserve their arena.

Honestly I kind of wonder why no one's added small hills to an arena. Like, the hellraisers but always up. It seems like a small change that would allow some tactical play around it and shake things up a bit.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Keiya posted:

Honestly I kind of wonder why no one's added small hills to an arena. Like, the hellraisers but always up. It seems like a small change that would allow some tactical play around it and shake things up a bit.

It'd be a completely different meta essentially. Any sort of ramp would create gaps for flippers to exploit and bot geometries will have to take into account the hills so there's no chance of becoming prone by being stuck on it. It'd shake things up until the meta stabilized again except around this more complicated and more expensive arena format.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I guess bits sticking out are liable to be smashed off by drum spinners and the like. Mixing up the arena geometry could be fun though.

Also they should replace the pit with that button that drops a washing machine from the old series. Maybe have it drop an anvil or a grand piano instead for maximum hilarity

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I always thought that a very simple change that would dramatically alter things is if the arena was stepped with 1" plates rising to the center. Make it maybe three levels, and instead of the bullshit judges decision make the tiebreaker be the closest to the center.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I always thought that a very simple change that would dramatically alter things is if the arena was stepped with 1" plates rising to the center. Make it maybe three levels, and instead of the bullshit judges decision make the tiebreaker be the closest to the center.

...robot curling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
The arena should be on a frozen lake so it could occasionally break up into ice chunks and the robots would have to do cool stunts to fight each other and avoid the watery depths.

• Locked thread