Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mashed
Jul 27, 2004

PBS Newshour posted:

The arena should be on a frozen lake so it could occasionally break up into ice chunks and the robots would have to do cool stunts to fight each other and avoid the watery depths.

This but lava.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gaz-L posted:

...robot curling?

Robot King of the Hill.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I thought the teams did control the stuff in the arena? At least they did last year.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

keevo posted:

I thought the teams did control the stuff in the arena? At least they did last year.

They control the pulverizers, which don't really do that much

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Absolutely. Without arena hazards the event might as well be performed on a flat plane, and robots like Tombstone would be far less effective in that situation. Giving control of the hazards to the teams would make things more strategic and fun.

The problem is that something like the saws would be annihilated the second a spinner contacted them, and I suspect the controllers wanted to preserve their arena.

No hazards. Tombstone only. Final Destination.

I did think they over compensated thanks to the previous Battlebots regarding the hazards. The old show had complaints that the hazards and the operator influenced matches too much. The screws are the only one doing anything and only because of the chance of being thrown out of the arena.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

PBS Newshour posted:

The arena should be on a frozen lake so it could occasionally break up into ice chunks and the robots would have to do cool stunts to fight each other and avoid the watery depths.

And the qualifying round should be robot dancing. Bonus points for synchronized dancing with teammates (stationed outside the box, of course. Robot dancing is dangerous!)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

edit: oh ffs, if the browser is still on the submit a thing page and I submit I shouldn't be double-posting. Stupid internet and your occasional hiccups with the near-instant worldwide communication.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I don't know why Battlebots is so bad at arena hazards, but man, they're not getting any better.

Supposedly they didn't use the hellraisers for the main fights because they're more likely to get jammed or prompt something bad to happen, but then why even have them at all :shrug:

Imo just take the saws and hellraisers out, and beef up the pulverizers and screws

Well, because it's easier to not use them than to remove the mechanics for them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Robot King of the Hill.

Dang it, Robobby

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RBA Starblade posted:

Dang it, Robobby

All bots must use propane.

GraceGarland
Jul 4, 2003
Probots!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Speaking of ~Anime~, the MIT exhibition match is also up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujhoA6NN5z4

As for the shameful performance of Road Rash, here is their reddit excuse:

quote:

I SPENT SO MUCH TIME PRACTICING DRIVING ROAD RASH I FORGOT TO TEACH EMPEROR DANE HOW TO DRIVE THE WEAPONS. HIS FIRST MOVE WAS TO JACKHAMMER THE HEAD INTO OUR PINCERS, DESTROYING THE ANGLE GRINDER DISCS IN A PUFF OF YELLOW SMOKE AND SNAPPING THE PIN THAT LETS US TRY TO SELF RIGHT.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

make a flybot that just carries a huge banner and fly it in front of the other team's driver so they can't see

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Other fun Road Rash facts: it was originally a hammer bot but had to be changed at the last second because the producers didn't like it. They described the version they showed up with as "shamelessly Dead Metal".

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

make a flybot that just carries a huge banner and fly it in front of the other team's driver so they can't see

Idk if that specifically is against the written rules, but they do have a couple of other rules that stop similar vision obstruction (Deliberate smoke generators, Lasers or flashing lights) and is obviously against the spirit of the rules enough that they wouldn't let it fly.

In addition, the battlebox is apparently ridiculously turbulent and hard to fly drones in. If you remember all the drones doing nothing but crash and die, that's part of the reason that happened. The other part is, of course, that drones suck to begin with.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Nobody's designed a meaningful weapon you can mount on a drone yet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I miss when the spinners consisted of the entire bot and either tore the other guy to shreds or just blew itself up on impact.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You cut Tombstone's blade so it can provide lift, jam that into a quadcopter, then make your floor bot like 10 pounds and just flee constantly while your heli-chopper goes for robots from the top.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Aphrodite posted:

You cut Tombstone's blade so it can provide lift, jam that into a quadcopter, then make your floor bot like 10 pounds and just flee constantly while your heli-chopper goes for robots from the top.

There's a rule that flying bots can only be a maximum of 10 pounds.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I miss when the spinners consisted of the entire bot and either tore the other guy to shreds or just blew itself up on impact.

Two of those were in this season, and you can probably guess which of those outcomes happened.

Invader ABC incarnation of the notorious Megabyte, lost control and died, unfortunately allowing Mohawk to be in the show for another episode.
Moebius which actually suffered a mail mix up whereby they did not receive their battery mounts. The battery mounts they fabricated at the tournament were promptly poo poo out as soon as Moebius got to speed. They were also notable for having the coolest entrance in the show.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Two of those were in this season, and you can probably guess which of those outcomes happened.

Invader ABC incarnation of the notorious Megabyte, lost control and died, unfortunately allowing Mohawk to be in the show for another episode.
Moebius which actually suffered a mail mix up whereby they did not receive their battery mounts. The battery mounts they fabricated at the tournament were promptly poo poo out as soon as Moebius got to speed. They were also notable for having the coolest entrance in the show.

Lmao, how could I have forgotten the Brutus fight?

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
cpt shrederator - actual win for chomp was a fbs
ringmaster was a "ring spinner" which seems suspiciously like an fbs but i dont think i ever actually saw this robot fight

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ring spinner is a little different in that the top of the bot isn't spinning, but they are pretty similar in most ways. Here's a key difference though, poking a hole in the top of Ringmaster would not instantly kill it.

I sort of forgot about Cpt Shrederator, it's not a shell spinner, which I equate with FBS. Also, just doesn't have the style of these guys

Jump King fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 8, 2016

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Moebius was the best joke in the series.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Ring spinner is a little different in that the top of the bot isn't spinning, but they are pretty similar in most ways. Here's a key difference though, poking a hole in the top of Ringmaster would not instantly kill it.

I sort of forgot abot Cpt Shrederator, it's not a shell spinner, which I equate with FBS. Also, just doesn't have the style of these guys

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Technically Moebius, invader, and Shredderator are shell spinners since theyre a small box with the spinning mass covering it. A full body spinner would be something like Melty B (1 pound) or Death By Translation (30 pounds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCJJGMS2BzY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YB_58rUY6A

These bots use a single wheel and software that modulates the wheels speed allowing them to move directionally while spun up. While a shell spinner would have maybe a third to half of its weight in the shell and the rest being the hidden chassis, motor, batteries, etc a battlebots class FBS would have all 250 pounds of its mass spinning.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Whatever happened to Ziggo? I loved that little spinner bot made out of a wok.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I want to see someone make a giant metal sphero ball with spikes on it. It would suck but it would also look cool. Call it BB-Hate and be done with it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

mashed_penguin posted:

I want to see someone make a giant metal sphero ball with spikes on it. It would suck but it would also look cool. Call it BB-Hate and be done with it.

Or maybe That Which Is Not A Moon (TWIN-AM)

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Ziggo was lightweight, it would get demolished here. You could run four of them as a multibot though, and still have weight left over for a drone that flies up to the ceiling and exists solely to keep a few pounds of weight out of harms way... you'd still lose horribly, but you'd lose spectacularly.

I can't find any record of Ziggo fighting post-Battlebots, but I asked over on the reddit board. Obsessive nerds are handy sometimes.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I mean, you scale up Ziggo and it's basically just Megabyte/Invader. They could absolutely run a Heavyweight Ziggo

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Its a shame you can't make a 250 pound drone with a hammer or spike on the bottom to basically pile drive into enemies.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Wade Wilson posted:

Its a shame you can't make a 250 pound drone with a hammer or spike on the bottom to basically pile drive into enemies.

A hammer/spike on a drone won't do much as all the energy from it is just going to effect the drone, there needs to be something to anchor the bot for a hammer to be effective.

It would be cool to have an Eggman Robotnik type drone swinging a giant mace back and forth, but realistically it would gently caress the drone hitting something more than it would effect what was being hit.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

A hammer/spike on a drone won't do much as all the energy from it is just going to effect the drone, there needs to be something to anchor the bot for a hammer to be effective.

It would be cool to have an Eggman Robotnik type drone swinging a giant mace back and forth, but realistically it would gently caress the drone hitting something more than it would effect what was being hit.

Yeah, it would be more of a gimmick bot than anything.

Oh wait, a drone with a magnet system on the bottom that could land on an enemy bot and then start drilling into it.

EDIT: 24x 10 lb drones that somehow have a drilling system on them flying around like this and doing tons of light-damage attacks over 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbKD7oHJ8tY

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 9, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

That drill bot with a magnet exists, was in the season. Failed to land on the other robot.

Once again, it's ridiculously difficult to pilot a drone in the battlebox because it's actually quite turbulent in there due to the way it's ventilated.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pakled posted:

There's a rule that flying bots can only be a maximum of 10 pounds.

If the blade's on the bottom, it's not a flying bot. It's a hover bot.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Once again, it's ridiculously difficult to pilot a drone in the battlebox because it's actually quite turbulent in there due to the way it's ventilated.

I would imagine any combination of large spinny weapons buzzing about might have an effect on air currents, too.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Rumble 3 is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-xQuS92N1g

Lockjaws flipper works! Although its either not working properly or it sucks

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Looks fine to me, it worked every time with decent pop. It's no Bronco, but I don't think it was intended to be a launcher.

If we're talking about robots that suck, lets talk about Ghost Raptor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

drat these rumbles are not very exciting.

• Locked thread