Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think your best bet would be to run a pickem-style fantasy game, where each participant makes predictions for each match and scores points based on the result. Fantasy drafts make more sense when you can have a system that scores points and there isn't a single elimination.

So each round have the participants predict the winner and style of victory (knockout or judges decision). Players get one point for calling the winner and another point for calling the style of victory.

So if I see a match with Tombstone and say "Tombstone by a knockout" then if Tombstone wins I get a point. If Tombstone knocks the opponent out I get two points. If Tombstone loses I get no points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dongsbot 9000 posted:

and yea you should just have people send u pms or post predicted wins for each battle possibly w/ bonus questions each round such as "for an extra 2 points, what bot will have the quickest ko" etc

Google Form would work for that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It does seem like Battlebots is trying to avoid having legions of the same bots. The problem is that with decades of progress the challenge of making a robot that can damage another robot while fighting on a flat plane of steel has largely been solved. It's still cool to see robots fight and throw sparks everywhere, but a lot of the cute designs lose out to the boring but effective ones.

On the fantasy side I think a simple bracket style game like March Madness would be viable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How will teams be scored?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

1 win = 1 point. I'll count any rumbles and exhibition matches for fun too.

If you can think of a more fun scoring method lemme know.

Scoring based on dominance:

4 points for a <1 minute knockout.
3 points for a <2 minute knockout.
2 points for a knockout.
1 point for a win.

For rumbles, 1 point for every robot that dies before they do.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JT Jag posted:

3 points for a knockout, 2 points for a win by decision and 1 point for a loss by decision, imo

This is good too.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I am up for the league.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DOOP posted:

im good with this

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Coaaab posted:

Wow, that might have been a worse judges' decision than Chomp/Disko, but SawBlaze's primary weapon looked like poo poo, and the wedge driving didn't exploit the hazards enough, I guess.

Aggression points require that the participant use their primary weapon. Attacking with a wedge is considered defensive.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Coaaab posted:

Yeah, that result does not pass the eye test when it looks like Razorback was on the back foot for the bulk of the match. But based on this new scoring, if SawBlaze had used the wedge to pin Razorback by the pulverizers and get a few good hits in, it could've won the split decision?

If SawBlaze had pinned Razorback and then used its saw it would have likely won. The lack of actual primary weapon attacks was the issue.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DOOP posted:

The rules are set-up to be a soft ban on wedgebots, which I support

Wedgebots suck

Wedgebots that don't do anything else suck. I would be interested in a wedgebot that actively damaged an opponent from underneath.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

mashed_penguin posted:

A lot of vertical or drum spinners are pretty much wedgebots. They just happen to have a weapon that can actually do something.

I think for me the biggest problem with Battlebots is that there isn't much innovation at this point.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

jivjov posted:

It's less that there's no innovation and more that the risky innovative bots get taken apart by an established "tried and true" weapon design. Look at the one from the preliminaries that had the motion controlled sword arm! That's innovative and cool as hell...but it's not gonna stand up to a lot of the established weapon types.

I should clarify; innovation in the sense of resolving the problem of destroying another robot on a flat floor. The solutions are largely mature and resolved, with well established designs that now come in textbooks. I agree it's a shame that the floor was not conducive to magnetic solutions; hopefully next year they address that. But as far as combat robots themselves are concerned there isn't much to improve over the existing designs. After all they've been around for decades.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess? I think you're overplaying how long some of these designs have been in place and underplaying how much they get improved and changed over the years.

I am not saying that nothing improves. There are new components every year. But the solutions are the same. Look at RoboGames last year and the top 3 heavyweights. Last Rites is a design that's a decade old. Original Sin is a wedgebot. Touro has been around for years as well. All three designs have been refined and perfected and represent the pinnacle of what each style can do. That's not to say the designers aren't still working on things, but the methods are tried and tested.

I think innovation would be encouraged by changing the arena, and would also mitigate the subjectivity of judging. Have a series of steps added so that the center of the arena is a tiered pyramid, and at the end of the match include being closer to the center as a judging criteria. Now every design that relies on a flat plane has to change.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MikeNCR posted:

We were pitted fairly close to chomp and having had the chance to really take a close look it is absolutely one of the best engineered bots at the event. The CG's surprisingly low (all the light stuff is up high) and the whole hammer mechanism is beautiful. The hits it put out in the Disk O Inferno match were only a taste of what it's capable of. The team had a ~3/4" steel plate bolted to a tire to use for target practice. By the time they were done testing the steel plate was visibly bowed and heavily gouged from the hammer impacts.

What bot was yours?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I mean I could easily be wrong about the lack of meaningful change if someone has a good example.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I guess to me, it's just looking at how things have changed since the comedy central years.

But I guess more importantly, I don't really care if there are roughly 16 general design types (the number listed in the riobotz manual) because that's a decent equilibrium and still allows for a lot variety and fun stuff.

I do think there should be more effective arena hazards for control oriented bots to take advantage of though.

The original discussion was whether or not the rule change mandating aggression via primary weapon attacks stifled innovation. The rule eliminates a few of the designs listed (wedges, thwackbots, pushers, etc), but eliminating it doesn't open up the avenue for new designs. That said I agree that there are a lot of ways to solve the problem and the variety is great. The sport is pretty awesome after all.

MikeNCR posted:

I'm the team captain for the Chaos Corps with Bombshell. We went heavy on the modular weapons:

That is awesome. I hope to see more of you guys in the event. Where are you based out of, and what events do you attend outside of BB? I do a lot of work with FIRST robots and keep on thinking about the possibility of getting into robot combat.

How did you get started?

OAquinas posted:

Nice scale.

A wedge with a killsaw built in might be cool; I was thinking a drill but unless it's some kind of thermic lance it would never have enough time to bite in and make a hole.

....thermic lances are prohibited, right?

Thermic lances run on pure oxygen, which is a prohibited gas.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MikeNCR posted:

The team is based mostly out of the Atlanta area and is made up of a bunch of Robot Battles ( http://robotbattles.com/ ) regulars. Beyond Robot Battles events I'll typically run up to Harrisburg, PA for Motorama each year, and just about any event within a 4 hour drive of Atlanta. There's a good bit of crossover between FRC teams and combat builders and the transitions not too bad. It's probably worth taking a look at http://sparc.tools/ and http://www.buildersdb.com/index.asp to see if there are any upcoming events near you.

That's really cool. I'll probably try going to the PA events since I live in MD. Looking over the events it seems like most competitions end at the 30 pound level. Are there any heavyweight events beyond Battlebots and Robogames?

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Oh yeah, well, I guess misread that. I agree pretty much. I was reading something by one of the guys who worked on Bronco saying they wish there were less rules in general so that people could sort things pit naturally., like allow nets and everything and people would figure out ways to counter things. IDK if it works out that way but its an idea.

You run into a lot of low-effort hard counters that way. A net in a box, for example, is trivial to engineer but dramatically affects the ability of spinners to function. It also significantly impairs most wheel-based systems since they could easily end up with their drive trains entangled just by running over the thing. There's nothing wrong with that per se, but it does significantly alter the landscape and it may not necessarily provide the ideal result.

In the end it boils down to what people really want to see from this game. Who is the target audience? If you're talking about a bunch of hobbyists playing in their own event then the rules are going to be different from a show marketed to millions. How do you encourage designs to change and improve from year to year? What does that mean?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

If somebody is not absent, like they don't check in and never sent me an ordered list, I'll be randomizing their picks

Rather than randomize their picks, how about having them pick the highest seeded bot? That way somebody doesn't end up with Mega Tento, Escape Velocity, and Chrome Fly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I thought about that, but like, if somebody signed up for this, ignored every one of my posts and private messages about when it was and what to do if they couldn't make it., then I'm personally ok with them not getting any good bots. If you and the others think this is too vindictive then maybe I'll just use the seeded list.

I made the offer, but you're right. No mercy for Fantasy Robots.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would just like to thank Fantasy Robots for helping me be a better robot spectator. I now know who Chrome Fly is, and why they're going to get slaughtered.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Now would be a good chance to check in if you haven't already, I'm about to get home and I'll start then.

I'm here and ready to DOMINATE MY LEAGUE.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
THREE MINUTES GET HYPED!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
gently caress you dongsbot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Tombstone falling to the 4th overall pick is the steal of the century.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Bite Force

Stinger
Icewave
Beta
Complete Control
Hypershock
Yeti
Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Brutus
Lockjaw
Ghost Raptor
Bombshell
Captain Shrederator
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Returning champ as 6th pick isn't bad either.

(I feel like Tombstone is destructive enough that it could tear itself apart in an early match though)

Yeah I was super happy with that. I would have preferred Minotaur but I'm down for it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ToadStyle posted:

From what I've seen, that's how most of his losses go.

Yeah it's true. OTOH he's KO'd 5 of the 6 matches he's been in.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ghost Raptor faces Bronco in the 2nd round, so I'm glad someone else took him.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PBS Newshour posted:

This is true, stinger and ghost raptor are both my favorite "underdogs who will never win" though

Stinger is a solid pick.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PBS Newshour posted:

I don't think its getting past the second round

Vs Yeti or Lucky? I think it has a shot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Balls. I was hoping Beta would fall one more place.

Yeti feel good about this pick.

Complete Control
Hypershock
Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Brutus
Lockjaw
Bombshell
Captain Shrederator
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

IMO, you should have said you hope to get lucky with that pick.

Sick burn bro. But I think Yeti is going to surprise folks with his aggression.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Yeti and Lucky is risky match up to pick sides.

I think it'll end up being a judge's decision, and Yeti will win out thanks to aggression. I also debated Hypershock but he's facing a ridiculously tough schedule, and Complete Control's is even worse with Minotaur in the second.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xelkelvos posted:

Until Lucky performs as its name and flips Yeti perfectly onto its side and it can't tip itself over.

Not likely given that the sides contain wheels, plus it has that flippy bit. Would be hilarious if that happens though.

ToadStyle posted:

I really like Brutus. I dunno how wells he's going to do against Tombstone in the second round though.

Yup. That's why I'm avoiding him like the plague.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

vertical spinner/wedge/I think it has a bit of a flipper as well.

2 knockouts in 3 matches with a vertical drum and a returning team.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

AND SO IT BEGINS.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Chomp
Lockjaw
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Poison Arrow

Chomp
Lockjaw
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I figure if any bot has a chance at an upset it's Poison Arrow.

• Locked thread