Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Another Person posted:

You mean THE hypnodisc, or is there a new one? Because the real deal ripped poo poo to shreds with a flywheel. If you had a weakspot, an opening in your armour or any kind of design, hypnodisc would destroy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w04BgclPmY8

I think there was a bot on the last episode that had a hypnodisc-like weapon, but instead of actually tearing things apart it kinda lightly bonked whatever it hit.

Although I just watched a bunch of battlebots matches on youtube so I might be mixing up poor weapon design choices across the years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Great White Hope posted:

I think there was a bot on the last episode that had a hypnodisc-like weapon, but instead of actually tearing things apart it kinda lightly bonked whatever it hit.
Warhead was the poo poo 10+ years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58j1MypGJDA&t=34s

but bots have advanced since then.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Coaaab posted:

Warhead was the poo poo 10+ years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58j1MypGJDA&t=34s

but bots have advanced since then.

To be fair, it's Nightmare. Everything kills Nightmare.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUEqZ61-MPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw5udUEzcXM

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

i would like to see a humanoid in battlebots who just picks his opponents up and rips them apart with his collosal robot strength

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

Although I just watched a bunch of battlebots matches on youtube so I might be mixing up poor weapon design choices across the years.

Hypnodisc was never Battlebots, he was Robot Wars, a UK show. The effectiveness of a flywheel on a battle bot is determined by the defences of the opposing robot, so if you get an enemy with very heavy, well constructed armour, a flywheel like Hypnodisc has will not be too effective.

Icewave is probably the closest comparison to Hypnodisc from Battlebots. It isn't a flywheel, but the offense is the same. You have a really quickly rotating object with edges, corners or blades spinning on it. You ram that into another bot and punch into it, which then grabs and rips the shell off of the enemy bot. It has the same weakness too. If the armour is too thick, then you won't be able to punch into it and gain a leverage to rip their armour off. If that happens, and you can't manage to find some other weakeness like major supports or wheels you can punch off, then you will just ricochet off of the other bot repeatedly. It can be a good defence, to keep them back, but it won't beat them.

Icewave is actually a really good evolution of Hypnodisc. It seems to have more coverage by the weapon, which protects the rear and sides better. Alongside that, the wheels are less exposed, which was a severe weakness of Hypnodisc. You hit his wheels, and you might break them.

e; warhead looks like a vastly inferior hypnodisc. It doesn't have the objects that hypnodisc had which punch into armour and pull with rotation off. I hope Icewave kicks his rear end.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 23, 2015

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

We're just biding our time until Real Steel becomes a reality.
Someday as we're watching terrifying humanoid death machines rend each other limb from limb we will look at these days as quaint and primitive.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Another Person posted:

Hypnodisc info.

Yeah, I know. Hypnodisc is/was awesome. Should have made it clear I knew Hypnodisc was different from the poor man's version they were talking about.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
Where can I watch this immediately

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

We're just biding our time until Real Steel becomes a reality.
Someday as we're watching terrifying humanoid death machines rend each other limb from limb we will look at these days as quaint and primitive.

Uh excuse me but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7bSN30RRCI

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Another Person posted:

Hypnodisc was never Battlebots, he was Robot Wars, a UK show. The effectiveness of a flywheel on a battle bot is determined by the defences of the opposing robot, so if you get an enemy with very heavy, well constructed armour, a flywheel like Hypnodisc has will not be too effective.

e; warhead looks like a vastly inferior hypnodisc. It doesn't have the objects that hypnodisc had which punch into armour and pull with rotation off. I hope Icewave kicks his rear end.
The following Battlebots were probably more analogous to Hypnodisc:

Surgeon General:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wj5r_QO6puE

M.O.E.:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsSVItSO4LI

and Mechavore:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hCD5tv1uv8

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

Yeah, I know. Hypnodisc is/was awesome. Should have made it clear I knew Hypnodisc was different from the poor man's version they were talking about.

Oh yeah, I'm watching right now and Warhead really is a poor mans version. They took the aesthetic of Razer and the weapon of Hypnodisc, took everything both had which made them good and weakened them. Looking closer, Warhead does have something to punch into armour, but the disc isn't big enough to really take advantage of it. The disc needs to be wider, so that it spends more time punching into the enemy and grabbing onto something.

Warhead's disc is pointed downwards on an angle as well, which only shortens the time that the jutty parts would spend in a position to really hit the enemy. This also has the disadvantage of making it much worse at fighting anything much bigger than it, because it will be plinking away at the heavier base of a robot, which will just make it ricochet off of it. Seems like a really poor design choice.

It also looks too light to stay on the offensive with that weapon and centre of gravity, because it will just bounce off of heavier bots. It is like going into a boxing match and holding your elbows at your forehead level. You won't have the momentum or angle to really get good hits in.

What a scrub.

e; I have never seen Battlebots before, so I don't actually know any that might be closer to Hypnodisc. I will be sure to check those links out. I needed fighting robots in my life.

e2; lol warhead got suplexed what a joke

Another Person fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jun 23, 2015

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

When this happened I loving lost my tiny little mind. I loved the old battlebots show and this is all I ever wanted from it.

Also the new show somehow isn't unbearable despite it only being 4 fights in 1 hour. I'm impressed.

edit: Also it seems the power of the weapons has greatly outpaced the armor. I'm really excited.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Is Biohazard coming back

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

AlmightyPants posted:

When this happened I loving lost my tiny little mind. I loved the old battlebots show and this is all I ever wanted from it.

Also the new show somehow isn't unbearable despite it only being 4 fights in 1 hour. I'm impressed.

edit: Also it seems the power of the weapons has greatly outpaced the armor. I'm really excited.

I really hope that they cut down on the amount of vignettes giving backstory and have more fights in later episodes. I don't know what they would even have in them after introductions have been done. The most they could do is show repairs to the robots being done and a pre-/post-fight interview.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I don't understand why someone would build a fighting robot based on anything other than ruthless efficiency.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I guess it's possible that crowd darlings could draw more favorable sponsorship deals. Of course they generally have to have the sponsorship before building the robot, I'm not sure how that works.

Speaking of which. I stopped paying attention to fighting robots after Battlebots went off the air so I was unaware of the infinite glory that is Razer. Every Razer match I've seen on Youtube is basically it making the other robot look like the fighting robot equivalent of the Washington Generals. Both in style and substance (man, robot wars had some ugly robots and bad lighting)

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Dammit I had a perfect montage of Chaos 2 set to John Cena's theme tune around here somewhere...

Also Mick Foley?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOSszw4LoqY

and flippy poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXIreYJq-p0

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I didn't really remember the last season before the show got cancelled so I dug up some episodes on Youtube. Gary Coleman was in attendance and half of the run time was spent on Carmen Electra in a school girl outfit and comedy skits featuring the nerds that built the robots. The guy who made Ziggo was dressed in a gi in a dojo and his fighting style was to spin around really fast.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Did Battlebots have house bots? Sir Killalot was the bee's knees.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I don't think I ever saw Robot Wars. Is it...is it like a robot lumberjack match?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I just remembered Robot Wars had judges who were used as decision and tie breakers.

I want the job of deciding which robot kicked more rear end in a robot fight.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I just remembered Robot Wars had judges who were used as decision and tie breakers.

I want the job of deciding which robot kicked more rear end in a robot fight.

It sounds like this one does too so your dream job has hope yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Another Person posted:

e; I have never seen Battlebots before, so I don't actually know any that might be closer to Hypnodisc. I will be sure to check those links out. I needed fighting robots in my life.

Battlebots seemed to have less strict rules about weaponry, so a lot of the better robots from the British show would be pretty bad on Battlebots.

Like there were some robots that spun completely. No weakpoints, the entire robot is the weapon.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Battlebots seemed to have less strict rules about weaponry, so a lot of the better robots from the British show would be pretty bad on Battlebots.

Like there were some robots that spun completely. No weakpoints, the entire robot is the weapon.

I used to own a VHS of the first Robot Wars World Cup and one of the bots from Battle Bots was in it. It never made it out of the starting gate though cause health and safety said it might be a danger to the audience or something liked that.

Years later I checked on YouTube what this battle bot was and yeah it was one of those that spun entirety but with the added fun of a bunch of flails attached to it.

Robot Wars at the end of the day was slightly more kid friendly and aimed more at a younger audience / dads with a garage and too much free time.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 23, 2015

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Is there any robot covered in anime decals like those Japanese drift racers

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I used to own a VHS of the first Robot Wars World Cup and one of the bots from Battle Bots was in it. It never made it out of the starting gate though cause health and safety said it might be a danger to the audience or something liked that.

Years later I checked on YouTube what this battle bot was and yeah it was one of those that spun entirety but with the added fun of a bunch of flails attached to it.

Robot Wars at the end of the day was slightly more kid friendly and aimed more at a younger audience / dads with a garage and too much free time.

Was it Blendo?

Blendo was actually made by the Mythbusters guys, well before the show. They were asked to withdraw twice, first after launching shrapnel from another robot into the audience and then years later after the walls had been raised damaging them with more robot shrapnel.

They took it to Battlebots and it never won a match.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Was it Blendo?

Blendo was actually made by the Mythbusters guys, well before the show. They were asked to withdraw twice, first after launching shrapnel from another robot into the audience and then years later after the walls had been raised damaging them with more robot shrapnel.

They took it to Battlebots and it never won a match.
Adam talked about it on Still Untitled, and they were eventually forced to withdraw for being too dangerous and were given an award for it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Can Sir Killalot make a guest appearance? That would be pretty cool.

Sir Killalot owned

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

I always loved the intricately designed robots on the old Battlebots that almost never won like Mechadon and Warhead.

Gutted to see that Chinkilla isn't in the new one like it was rumoured to be.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Do not even ask posted:

I always loved the intricately designed robots on the old Battlebots that almost never won like Mechadon and Warhead.

I decided to check, and learned that both Mechadon and Snake managed to win matches.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Do not even ask posted:

Apparently it was there but only as an exhibition thing.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Kenny Florian loses his mind harder over robots scraping by each than he does when top ranked fighters get knocked out and I love it

-Atom- fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 23, 2015

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Aphrodite posted:

Those were my favorites, like Ziggo and the previously mentioned Son of Whyachi.
Except for Hazard though. Hazard somehow made being a full-body killbot boring. It's because I think it went undefeated. Through the entire course of the show.
When I saw Hypnodisk my reaction was 'Did robot wars disallow full-body spinners?' It makes sense since there's really no strategy to fighting those things other than 'ram into it and hope your armor is better than their weapons.'

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Battlebots did 5.4 million viewers.

All hail our new professional wrestling robot fighting overlords.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, Robot Wars had pretty strict rules on weapons and safety. For example, that dumb loving robot from the last episode of BB which had two partner robots which blew up would definitely not be allowed. It was a BBC production, so it had standards to maintain. It was the thinking man's fighting robots.

Also, while yes, most of the Robot Wars bots would probably lose, like the one that was made of wood and fur that was always set on fire by Sergeant Bash, but I reckon a few would stand a chance in there. Hypnodisc, Razer, Chaos 2 (simlply due to speed) and Behemoth if they gave it a better weapon due to laxxed restrictions.

So hype that Battlebots drew 5.4m, if it can keep it up then it has a good future.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Razer was king of the UK, to the point where people started designing specifically to counter it in the chance they'd end up being against it.

The original Hypno Disc, before they were forced to nerf it, was rad as gently caress too. I vaguely remember the reason they had to slow the flywheel was because there was genuine fear it would just shatter on impact with something and send shrapnel screaming off in every direction.

gently caress Chaos 2.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Another Person posted:

Also, while yes, most of the Robot Wars bots would probably lose, like the one that was made of wood and fur that was always set on fire by Sergeant Bash,

Nemesis owned though

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

Nemesis owned though

he did, whenever I managed to get a Robot Wars game I would try and make something like him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Great White Hope posted:

Battlebots did 5.4 million viewers.

All hail our new professional wrestling robot fighting overlords.

There's something glorious about a small scale show about robot fighting doing a better rating than massive wrestling conglomerate WWE. I'm sure advertisers don't mind Battlebots either, and each show has to have like 1/10th of the budget, if that.

When Vince gets wind of this and launches the X-Bot league it'll be glorious. I can already see the animatronic robot cheerleaders he'll film when ratings drop.

Oh, and I hope we got lots of seasons and we see a bunch of jobber robots keep showing up just to get owned. Gotta make Plan X look strong, brother!

• Locked thread