Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Another Person posted:

Yeah, Robot Wars had pretty strict rules on weapons and safety. For example, that dumb loving robot from the last episode of BB which had two partner robots which blew up would definitely not be allowed. It was a BBC production, so it had standards to maintain. It was the thinking man's fighting robots.

Ironically, one of my favorite designers -- Rex Garrod of Team Cassius, whose wedge was the first RW robot to self-right -- wrote off Robot Wars because of what he viewed as THEIR lax security policies. Which was a shame, as he was a hoot. He had a habit of challenging the house robots instead of the competitors because "they were more fun to fight!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

delfin posted:

Ironically, one of my favorite designers -- Rex Garrod of Team Cassius, whose wedge was the first RW robot to self-right -- wrote off Robot Wars because of what he viewed as THEIR lax security policies. Which was a shame, as he was a hoot. He had a habit of challenging the house robots instead of the competitors because "they were more fun to fight!"

According to this he helped make Chaos 2. So he is literally Hitler.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Great White Hope posted:

Battlebots did 5.4 million viewers.

All hail our new professional wrestling robot fighting overlords.

June 11 - The American Dream, Dusty Rhodes, dies

June 21 - A computer done took the wrestler's jobs, daddeh

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I got around to watching the fights.
I just learned that Warrior Clan is piloted by Team Whyachi.
Warrior Clan is now my favorite bot(s).

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I loved Tornado, I think it was, since it basically had nothing but a giant motor and could run both sides up.

"Okay guys, what's the plan?"

"How about we just build a box that drives really really loving fast at people?"

"Can we put spikes on the front?"

"Yes"

"Deal."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I loved Tornado, I think it was, since it basically had nothing but a giant motor and could run both sides up.

"Okay guys, what's the plan?"

"How about we just build a box that drives really really loving fast at people?"

"Can we put spikes on the front?"

"Yes"

"Deal."

101 was my sentimental fave for similar reasons, plus the :3: kid that drove it.

Though, on the subject of full-body spinners, wasn't the RAF bot in the BBC/UK Robot Wars a full spinner or am I misrembering? Those things sound great, but if there's any ground clearance a wedge/flipper is going to beat it every time.

Saint Freak posted:

I don't think I ever saw Robot Wars. Is it...is it like a robot lumberjack match?

...Kinda, yeah. The production team had 4-6 (depending on the season) specially built bots that didn't have to conform to the normal weight/rules, and they were positioned on the outside of the ring. Officially, they were there to stop bots from playing the evasion game and forcing them to engage their opponents. In practice, they'd either get attacked and fight back or just add to the destruction of a loser.

Not having to listen to the rules didn't stop the Razer guys from destroying one (literally, it had a petrol-driven chainsaw and they punctured/compressed the tank and it exploded), and I think Chaos 2 and Tornado also beat them.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Full body spinners seem to have different amounts of success at different weight classes.
At least according to the first run of Battlebots.
Spinners worked really well at light heavyweight, Ziggo was a perennial contender.
Hazard, a full body spinner, basically went undefeated the entire 4-5 season run at middleweight and there were other really effective spinners at that weight class. So middleweight is where they really shined.
At heavyweight they struggle. Son of Whyachi only won because they abused the definition of 'non-wheel locomotion' to add more weight to their bot (bots that moved without wheels got a bonus to to their maximum allowed weight). Son of Whyachi was almost immobile, it had these weird treadmill 'legs' that allowed it to slowly hobble across the battlezone. It just bet on the idea that it didn't matter how immobile their bot was, the opposing bot would have to drive into it (and get destroyed in the process). They changed the rule the next season and S.O.W. exited quickly, much to my chagrin.
At Super Heavyweight there was no chance. Whyachi was the same design as S.O.W. but couldn't do anything to the heavy armor of the bots in that division regardless.

Maybe 10 years of bot tech have changed things. I'll guess we'll find out.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ChrisBTY posted:

Full body spinners seem to have different amounts of success at different weight classes.
At least according to the first run of Battlebots.
Spinners worked really well at light heavyweight, Ziggo was a perennial contender.
Hazard, a full body spinner, basically went undefeated the entire 4-5 season run at middleweight and there were other really effective spinners at that weight class. So middleweight is where they really shined.
At heavyweight they struggle. Son of Whyachi only won because they abused the definition of 'non-wheel locomotion' to add more weight to their bot (bots that moved without wheels got a bonus to to their maximum allowed weight). Son of Whyachi was almost immobile, it had these weird treadmill 'legs' that allowed it to slowly hobble across the battlezone. It just bet on the idea that it didn't matter how immobile their bot was, the opposing bot would have to drive into it (and get destroyed in the process). They changed the rule the next season and S.O.W. exited quickly, much to my chagrin.
At Super Heavyweight there was no chance. Whyachi was the same design as S.O.W. but couldn't do anything to the heavy armor of the bots in that division regardless.

Maybe 10 years of bot tech have changed things. I'll guess we'll find out.
Megabyte and Super Megabyte were essentialy giant versions of Ziggo that dominated the HW and SHW divisions, respectively, in the robot combat years after Battlebots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEyGN_aSV0c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEuRzqHLXuE

I imagine they dominated because of increased motor reliability and battery upgrades. They were retired in the last decade, though.

The only FBS in the current Battlebots seems to be Capt. Shrederator, which is another really old bot with ostensibly upgraded internal components. We'll have to see how it does.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Battlebots was fun and I'll try to check out the next episode of this

Was Robot Wars the one hosted by Lister from Red Dwarf? I remember some presumably British robot fighting show with him on it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thauros posted:

Was Robot Wars the one hosted by Lister from Red Dwarf? I remember some presumably British robot fighting show with him on it.

Yup, that's the one.

Curly Shuffle
May 31, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The goon battlebot fights tonight.
Nevemind, I guess it's next week.

Curly Shuffle fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 29, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
~late hit drama~

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I love the drama here, I can't tell if it's forced or not but it's so cheesy and great.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The nerds are gonna fight instead of the bots

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DOOP posted:

The nerds are gonna fight instead of the bots

Please happen

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Aw yes! Stat ratings out of 100!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
We need a VORR (value above replacement robot) stat STAT.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

That robot got JACKED UP!

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
That is a powerful flipper

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

These fools should know, jet fuel won't melt steel robots!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Ice To Meet You posted:

Lol

Metapod posted:

That is a powerful flipper

Ridiculous

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Wheres the light minimum weight division where the nuisance bots ineffectively crash into each other.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ice To Meet You posted:

:golfclap:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

what channel is this on

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

oatgan posted:

what channel is this on
channel 4

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

oatgan posted:

what channel is this on
ABC

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

thank you

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Reel to reel projectors are pretty scary you guys.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

this film projector looks p soft to me

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
OH JESUS

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I have a weapon that only works in one direction, I think I'm going to face it away from the enemy and expose my soft underbelly.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Tombstone with the one hitter quitter

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

That was fast

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

oatgan posted:

this film projector looks p soft to me

yep

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
New plan: never build a vertical spinner bot.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

I have never watched anything go as exactly as I imagined it to go beforehand as that just went

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

is he the robot

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

No way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU