Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

wukkar posted:

So what is the generally accepted list of poo poo that isn't legal? Explosives, nets, + ???

Solely by the fact that they never get used, I'm guessing it must also include: magnets, ECM, acids, oil slicks, and anything fired as a projectile.

I don't know any of the rules, but I think there's still room for unconventional tactics just because they haven't been expressly outlawed. I think stuff like glue, acid, and oil slicks are out because they don't want to mess up the arena more than they have to, and it's already being steadily destroyed. It's like, we know about stuff like wedges, saws, and hammers, but there has to be some out of left field way to go for TKOs or other weird wins on opponents, particularly since you can use mini bots as well. Off the top of my head, maybe you have a minibot that can lock itself into position and deploy a big ramp, and you try to push your opponent up the ramp and onto the side with a big ram or piston? Then even if the opponent dices up your rampbot you can still try to ram them into hazards.

I want them to go full pro wrestling and put a slowly rotating robot ref in the middle of the ring, and you can do whatever crazy bullshit you want as long as the ref doesn't see it when it happens. Like, you could launch a net onto your opponent, and the ref can see the net on there, but if he didn't see you deploy it you're fine.

Complete Control was definitely screwed by the messed up floor though, and I would've given it the win on points even with that. Hopefully it gets one of the wild card spots. I need to see more of their crazy heel tactics too.

MIT guys being upset by a late hit was great too, just perfectly condensed nerd rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Here's a copy of the rules for this season.

http://www.docdroid.net/152oj/battlebots-2015-design-rulesrev-11a.pdf.html

quote:

f. Prohibited Weapons

The following weapons are not allowed under any circumstances:
•Squirting glue, throwingout fishing line, ball bearings and such.
•EMP generators or other means intendedto damage or jam the opponent bot’s electronics.
•Deliberate smoke generators.
•Bright lights, lasers, etc.,that are distracting or dangerous to vision.
•Weapons that damage the other bot by destroying themselves.

keevo fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 30, 2015

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Ah yeah, I can definitely see room for crazy ideas if those are the only prohibitions, assuming you're willing to risk a bit of controversy while the refs sort out whether you can do it or not. Projectiles are expressly allowed, so I'm surprised we don't see more of those. A mini-bot built only to launch one big spike or a few smaller spikes at an opponent seems like a no brainer, basically they'd be like bits from Gundam. You have one person controlling each mini bot, and then do crazy co-ordinated strikes and whatnot. A projectile shooting somoene's own bot off of the side of the ring would be hype as hell too.

It also seems like a way to get around the ball bearing ban, just have a rounded projectile and then be all oh nooo, I missed and shot it directly in the path of my opponents bot, whoops.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

NowonSA posted:

Ah yeah, I can definitely see room for crazy ideas if those are the only prohibitions, assuming you're willing to risk a bit of controversy while the refs sort out whether you can do it or not. Projectiles are expressly allowed, so I'm surprised we don't see more of those. A mini-bot built only to launch one big spike or a few smaller spikes at an opponent seems like a no brainer, basically they'd be like bits from Gundam. You have one person controlling each mini bot, and then do crazy co-ordinated strikes and whatnot. A projectile shooting somoene's own bot off of the side of the ring would be hype as hell too.

What makes you think any of this is a good idea/doable/effective?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Beeswax posted:

What makes you think any of this is a good idea/doable/effective?

I don't know much about robotics, admittedly, but I think at a minimum you could rig up a mobile projectile launcher of some kind, so it seems doable. As far as effectiveness, lots of robots have open areas with moving parts, so even if you can't get the oomph to penetrate or dent armor you might be able to lodge something in there and mess with the mechanisms, and you could design the projectile with that in mind as well. I could see something as seemingly harmless as a rubber ball messing with a robot if it makes it inside, and you wouldn't have to worry about rule violations firing something like that. If you can really engineer the hell out of it maybe you could retrieve and reload the projectile with a minibot as well, though that seems pretty drat tricky. You'd probably also need a live camera feed of some kind to target effectively, but I'm starting with the assumption that you have a sensibly large budget and tech to work with. Anyway, put all that together and it seems like a good idea to me, or at least something that would be fun to see attempted.

Having your own mini-bot fleet probably isn't the way to go, but I'm just trying to throw stuff out there that other teams won't be expecting.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

"At a minimum, we would like your bot to be able to move around at a fast walking pace (~4 mph),but preferably MUCH faster.If your bot is slower, we expect it to have a really awesome weapon (or two)"

Yeah here are the rules but if you can do something kickin' rad then whatever man!

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Saint Freak posted:

"At a minimum, we would like your bot to be able to move around at a fast walking pace (~4 mph),but preferably MUCH faster.If your bot is slower, we expect it to have a really awesome weapon (or two)"

Yeah here are the rules but if you can do something kickin' rad then whatever man!

Unless you muck up our tv show, then we'll call a mulligan on your match without your rad idea.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Horizontal Spinners are OP

Goonbot had a good idea for that tho :(

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Saint Freak posted:

I for one cannot wait for another 15 minute sizzler reel for Warhead next time he fights.

And here we are

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Jfc Warhead

Goonbot got robbed for this?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Reminder this bot took a wildcard spot from like a dozen decent bots. Eat poo poo forever Warhead.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

That was total domination by Stinger

gently caress off Warhead

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Props to Ghost Raptor for having an effective Plan B

And Warrior Clan malfunctioning

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

real big fan of the pre-fight intros lasting longer than the bout

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
hahahaah

"our bots so big I don't think they'll be able to flip it!"

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

That was fast

Bronco owns

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
I'm thinking bronco has the best chance at beating the horizontal spinners

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Chomp was an astonishingly bad design I'm thinking it only got put in to the main bracket to be an exhibition match for a better design to show dominance

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

A lot of these robots seem really lovely, with little to no ability to actually cause damage and win a fight. It feels like Icewave and Tombstone are just going to run through everyone. I really want to see them both in the finals so that we can find out what happens when they collide :black101:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

MrSmokes posted:

A lot of these robots seem really lovely, with little to no ability to actually cause damage and win a fight. It feels like Icewave and Tombstone are just going to run through everyone. I really want to see them both in the finals so that we can find out what happens when they collide :black101:

Tombstone's spinner extends so far out from its body, it should make contact before any other bot (Icewave) gets close

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MrSmokes posted:

You say this, but all it takes is a bot durable enough to take hits from Icewave and Tombstone and they're dead, especially Tombstone. Anything they can't hurt will push them around effortlessly.

Whether or not anyone can do that, who knows, but I'd be very surprised if both Tombstone and Icewave make the finals. Bronco looks like the worst possible opponent for Tombstone unless he's just small enough to be able to work on his back.

Edit: Also I definitely didn't notice it when I first looked at the robots, but holy crap there are a lot of Razer-inspired designs.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jul 6, 2015

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
There are a half dozen bots or so that they didn't even air their matches. Ask yourself how loving terrible those bots must be if what they are airing is 'the good stuff'.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I irrationally dislike Warhead as much as the next guy, but Stinger is just a goddamn wedge.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I guess there's only 3 more episodes of this? Looks like the other 4 from the Sweet 16 are next week, then the quarter finals the week after, and then semi-finals and final on the 26th.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
It looks like you can't leave ABC up to picking referee decisions because lol Warhead, Plan X, and Ghost Raptor all sucked rear end. All Ghost Raptor did was wander around while Warrior Clan self-imploded.

Bring back the goons

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

They need a Gong Show clause for when toothless matches like Ghost Raptor vs Warrior Clan happen, double DQ that broken down mess and send em both to the scrapyard, keeping either in the bracket is a disgrace to this great sport :bahgawd:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Go tombstone

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Metapod posted:

Go tombstone

Agreed

Witch Doctor got flipped in two seconds. Why are they back?

e: wedge bots suck

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jul 13, 2015

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Overdrive stomped.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Mediocre

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Eat poo poo wedge bot

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

How do you build a wedgebot that lets a vertical blade get under it.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Witch Doctor still sucks

Wedge Bots suck more

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Great White Hope posted:

Airforce engineer :911:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Great White Hope posted:

You're not allowed to be just a wedge you need to have a powered weapon, so he made his lift up because ???????

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I hope Lock-jaw flips the stupid nerdbot immediately and hits it after the buzzer again.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I am ready to see a robot beat up another robot.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Tombstone owns, may it continue to casually murder all the other stupid looking bots forever.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Tombstone is going to get destroyed by Bronco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Tombstone driver is an rear end in a top hat

Wanna see Bronco flip him

• Locked thread