Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
!
nntp
discourse
yosbbs
gnu social
ill make the wiki
View Results

• Locked thread
CamH
Apr 11, 2008

Silver Alicorn posted:

does anyone remember slashdot

have you meta moderated recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
aren't they owned by Microsoft now

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
they're owned by dice.com and post auto playing videos advertising python jobs as the 2nd story all the time

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

madeupfred what you read was the metamorphosis of prime intellect

quality reading

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Stymie posted:

when "the forums die", lowtax will breathe a sigh of relief as the thorazine takes hold and all of the voices go silent at last

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
it must suck to spend like 15 years or whatever supporting an online community only to have all the audience and notoriety be focused elsewhere

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

honestly the lets play poo poo would make me drink and pill pop the most. it's now like a multi million dollar industry of watching other people play vidya and it started here

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

horse mans posted:

honestly the lets play poo poo would make me drink and pill pop the most. it's now like a multi million dollar industry of watching other people play vidya and it started here
maybe he can figure out how to monetize weird twitter

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

what kind of stupid loving question is this

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

horse mans posted:

it must suck to spend like 15 years or whatever supporting an online community only to have all the audience and notoriety be focused elsewhere

it's really nice actually because i don't like attention or notoriety

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
visit AOL Keyword: YOSPOS

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
im just going upload daily .txts

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
they took all the ufn things out of ello

like uploading entire movies as if they were jpgs

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
ello was the best way to abuse a company's Amazon S3 storage

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

has anyone said thedailywtf forums yet?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

BONGHITZ posted:

madeupfred what you read was the metamorphosis of prime intellect

quality reading

That is absolutely a lie.

It's really loving telling of how detached that guy is from reality when he figures that four days after being given immortality, a 100 year old grandma will immediately forget her entire family, religion and life experiences to go live with a pedophile who murders her a whole bunch. And that the Palestine/Israel problem would be solved by giving every single Palestinian and Israeli their own planet where they're completely cut off from all contact with other humans. And that only computer scientists would try to get the Artificial Intelligence to do something it couldn't do. And that only Japanese people would kill themselves (what???????).

madeupfred fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 25, 2015

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
i will probably stop posting on web forums because it's an unproductive giant waste of of time, op

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol dsyp

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i just got a twitter so proly there

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
idk. id prolly go somewhere else where i can sperg endlessly about rpgs and flight sims

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Blackula69 posted:

i will probably stop posting on web forums because it's an unproductive giant waste of of time, op

are you too blonde for web forums?

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

has anyone said thedailywtf forums yet?

shame they replaced their hilariously poo poo forum software with forum software that's just poo poo.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

new yospos. it's like old yospos but costs $50 to join. cospop is replaced with wozpop. you can reward good posters with Bitcoin Tips™

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

stinch posted:

shame they replaced their hilariously poo poo forum software with forum software that's just poo poo.

seriouspost: does it even, like, work at all?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Face Joe posted:

i just got a twitter so proly there

tweet me

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

poast ya tweet machine name

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

madeupfred posted:

It's really loving telling of how detached that guy is from reality when he figures that four days after being given immortality, a 100 year old grandma will immediately forget her entire family, religion and life experiences to go live with a pedophile who murders her a whole bunch. And that the Palestine/Israel problem would be solved by giving every single Palestinian and Israeli their own planet where they're completely cut off from all contact with other humans. And that only computer scientists would try to get the Artificial Intelligence to do something it couldn't do. And that only Japanese people would kill themselves (what???????).

only the japanese are truly samurai

did you read it to the end? there is some native american fetishism that happens

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

horse mans posted:

:rip: pewdiepie

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lambda the ultimate

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

by the time SA closes it will be time for me to retire to the gray havens known as the wikpedia discussion pages. .

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cat Face Joe posted:

poast ya tweet machine name

@your_mate_echi or @rodtronics

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

madeupfred posted:

why are you reading this.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

yeah it's like, a loving ancient site, has this particular super-rare strain of autist-nerd-troll that can only exist in harmony with its own kind, and is still slowly dying

poo poo was relatively poppin in late 90s, it was where the cool kids hung out instead of slashdot, which was already over

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I love how video game addicts and lazy capitalists have taken a liking to the MMO gold market. It continues to impoverish those who would choose to give a Chinese gold farmer real money for a virtual currency that is produced, regulated and consumed by a single private company, (further) lessening their attractiveness to the opposite sex and keeping them out of the gene pool. And that, as Martha Stewart says, is a good thing. But wait, there's more! Every time these gangs of bored Chinese hacker/farmers attack each other, we get to bear witness to thirty-page whinefest poo poo posts on game forums across the globe because somebody's DESTROYING THE GAME ECONOMY (but you wouldn't complain until you couldn't play with them any more). True, it does go whitenoise after page 3, but the anger and poorly worded flames are always there for you to come back to, like a bowl of steaming chicken soup on a cold, blustery day.

This MMO-based economy has to stop, because we're looking at a full on Mountain Dew and Cheeto-fueled nerd ragefest the minute that Blizzard or Linden or whoever decides to devalue their ingame currency significantly or increase availability of 'pay to level' accounts. If you look at the level of inflation in these games, it's loving _astronomical_. I played an MMO for three years and saw the average 'template price' for a high end suit of armor and weapons go from 4 mega-woolongs to over 500 mega-woolongs due to the increased cash flow from carrot-on-stick expansion packs. Would you invest in any real market that had those numbers? That's not just inflation, that's 'Italy caught in between governments' inflation; 'burning rubles in wheelbarrows to stay warm' inflation.

P.S. Second Life is also a heap of overblown perverse poo poo and you know it, so stop convincing ignorant college deans and CEOs that virtual flying dicks and man-on-dog sex in shady e-discos are the next Amazon.com. I'm starting to get seriously loving embarrassed for all the middle to upper class white collars who are drooling over 'presences' in an environment that prides itself on giving furries, 'ageplayers' (aka pedophiles) and the mentally unstable an unrestricted sandbox to play in. I hope Linden has a gigantic retarded IPO with ticker tape parades and prime time news debates, so I can make a goddamned fortune shorting it when somebody breathes on that house of cards.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

PleasingFungus posted:

This online novel contains strong language and extreme depictions of acts of sex and violence. Readers who are sensitive to such things should exercise discretion.

http://localroger.com/prime-intellect/mopiidx.html

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

I love how

Me too

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

PleasingFungus posted:

It wasn't very long and the goofy logic made me hope he was going somewhere completely out of left field with all the technology stuff he was throwing around, but he wasn't. He made eternal life and the politics around it super boring.

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

madeupfred posted:

He made eternal life and the politics around it super boring.

that seems kind of accurate, though?

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

that seems kind of accurate, though?

In a matter of hours, everyone simultaneously accepts that the computer exists and is perfect and there are no conflicts or power struggles or anything. The President takes one look at the computer and abolishes the United States on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

I love how video game addicts and lazy capitalists have taken a liking to the MMO gold market. It continues to impoverish those who would choose to give a Chinese gold farmer real money for a virtual currency that is produced, regulated and consumed by a single private company, (further) lessening their attractiveness to the opposite sex and keeping them out of the gene pool. And that, as Martha Stewart says, is a good thing. But wait, there's more! Every time these gangs of bored Chinese hacker/farmers attack each other, we get to bear witness to thirty-page whinefest poo poo posts on game forums across the globe because somebody's DESTROYING THE GAME ECONOMY (but you wouldn't complain until you couldn't play with them any more). True, it does go whitenoise after page 3, but the anger and poorly worded flames are always there for you to come back to, like a bowl of steaming chicken soup on a cold, blustery day.

This MMO-based economy has to stop, because we're looking at a full on Mountain Dew and Cheeto-fueled nerd ragefest the minute that Blizzard or Linden or whoever decides to devalue their ingame currency significantly or increase availability of 'pay to level' accounts. If you look at the level of inflation in these games, it's loving _astronomical_. I played an MMO for three years and saw the average 'template price' for a high end suit of armor and weapons go from 4 mega-woolongs to over 500 mega-woolongs due to the increased cash flow from carrot-on-stick expansion packs. Would you invest in any real market that had those numbers? That's not just inflation, that's 'Italy caught in between governments' inflation; 'burning rubles in wheelbarrows to stay warm' inflation.

P.S. Second Life is also a heap of overblown perverse poo poo and you know it, so stop convincing ignorant college deans and CEOs that virtual flying dicks and man-on-dog sex in shady e-discos are the next Amazon.com. I'm starting to get seriously loving embarrassed for all the middle to upper class white collars who are drooling over 'presences' in an environment that prides itself on giving furries, 'ageplayers' (aka pedophiles) and the mentally unstable an unrestricted sandbox to play in. I hope Linden has a gigantic retarded IPO with ticker tape parades and prime time news debates, so I can make a goddamned fortune shorting it when somebody breathes on that house of cards.

lmao 290

• Locked thread