Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I moved some stuff out of Advanced and into Odds & Ends. I'll toss a 'learn terminal' thing at the top with a link to a basic commands tutorial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

the link in the paragraph below to the commit browser doesn't work because there is a , in the URL.

"I want to update Clover. How do I do that?

When you install Clover, it offers to install a PrefPane. That is the official way to update. I'm not a fan of that though, as those builds are always a few days old. If you see a fix you want in https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefi...commit_browser, chances are good it is not in the latest release build. The PrefPane is a perfectly reasonable way to update (even more normal: don't update unless something is broken and you know the current build fixes it). That said..."

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

lignicolos posted:

the link in the paragraph below to the commit browser doesn't work because there is a , in the URL.

"I want to update Clover. How do I do that?

When you install Clover, it offers to install a PrefPane. That is the official way to update. I'm not a fan of that though, as those builds are always a few days old. If you see a fix you want in https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefi...commit_browser, chances are good it is not in the latest release build. The PrefPane is a perfectly reasonable way to update (even more normal: don't update unless something is broken and you know the current build fixes it). That said..."

Fixed, thanks.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

10.10.4 is out. Beta WebDriver works fine (final will be out in a day or two), Apple Music and everything works great, etc.

TRIMFORCE is in. Launch Terminal and type 'su trimforce help' to learn how to use Apple's official TRIM solution - no kext patching required. I'll remove the TRIM section from the guide in a day or two.

One last plea to the OP to change the thread tag to the Apple one. Surely BSD was a mistake, right? No one can find the thread now, myself included.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do I assume that one should remove the trim entry from Clover before before applying Trimforce once you go 10.10.4.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Do I assume that one should remove the trim entry from Clover before before applying Trimforce once you go 10.10.4.

That would be wise, but it's not required. You can remove it after.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I assume from your report that you didn't have anything out of the ordinary go wrong on an upgrade using Clover? I still get nervous installing from the app store even after many successful upgrades. Old habits from my nForce4 mackintosh days.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It shouldn't, the only thing that is an issue with updates like this is almost always the Nvidia Web driver where you always wait a day or two before doing the update so you have functional GFX drivers. Unless you are running with Web Drivers, update away.

The Trim Force thing is something different, but it's something good since it eliminates one of the fairly minor hacks being used. Less hacks, the better.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

8ender posted:

I assume from your report that you didn't have anything out of the ordinary go wrong on an upgrade using Clover? I still get nervous installing from the app store even after many successful upgrades. Old habits from my nForce4 mackintosh days.

Nothing unusual. You lose the Web Drivers if you need them (but, again, beta Web Drivers are available) but nothing else of note changed. Wait until El Cap comes out and you update to it just by downloading it off the Mac App Store - if you are nervous about taking point releases, you'll enjoy that, hah.

oohhboy posted:

It shouldn't, the only thing that is an issue with updates like this is almost always the Nvidia Web driver where you always wait a day or two before doing the update so you have functional GFX drivers. Unless you are running with Web Drivers, update away.

The Trim Force thing is something different, but it's something good since it eliminates one of the fairly minor hacks being used. Less hacks, the better.

You only have to wait if you don't want to run the beta drivers, but yeah. (You can also run the 10.10.3 drivers if you remove the version restriction/reinstall them after updating)

Yep. Trimforce is supported, patching a kext is not.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

New WebDriver is out: http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.01.03f01/WebDriver-346.01.03f01.pkg (10.10.4)

Toss Beats 1 onto the list of things that don't work with Chameleon. Worked instantly on Ozmosis (haven't tested in Clover, but others have; it works) but Chameleon issues are having issues.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 2, 2015

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

enMTW posted:

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.0.0.M8souu&id=38195333521

That adapter does use an Apple card inside (for native Handoff) but that's where the similarities with the stuff on Amazon/eBay/etc end: the physical construction of the Taobao card is far superior, it can operate in any PCI-E slot (not just 1x slots), it works with all OS X compatible motherboards (the other adapters don't, oddly).

It even has a nicer USB header situation - straight USB Type B to USB header cable instead of header to header (the other card I linked has that, it is easy to pull the cable out by mistake).

In other words, it's better. It's cheap too - $51 shipped to USA through YouBuy (http://www.yoybuy.com/). Unlike the one I linked on Amazon, the card here is capable of 802.11ac and not just 802.11n - Bonus! Downside being that you have to wait for it to arrive. The Amazon one is Prime Eligible. Pick your poison, I guess.

I did this! Just slapped it into an x16 slot and plugged stuff in and it's working perfectly on the Mac side. Much better than the TPLink adapter I had in there previously. I will say that it cost me ~$75 shipped to Los Angeles, and took 13 days from order date to receipt, via Yoybuy and E-Express shipping. Now to see if it will work as well on the Windows side...

Edit: I'm downloading what seems to be the last Apple Boot Camp Support Software package (found here: https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1721?locale=en_US), anybody have a quick guide on which files to install and the best way to do that? I'm not using Boot Camp, it's a separate boot drive entirely. Instructions to get these working on PC are available via the description of the Wifi/BT Adapter Amazon link in the above-quoted section of OP On third thought, the instructions linked there are a little too :china:, but the drivers themselves seem legit. I'm just going to hope this one labeled Windows 7 works on Windows 8.1 Right the first time. It's easy to find the right drivers in the BCSP, despite Apple's instructions requiring a thumb drive etc.

Something Else fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jul 2, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Updated to 10.10.4, aside having to update the Web driver with nv_disable=1, TrimForce appears to be working as intended.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Something Else posted:

I did this! Just slapped it into an x16 slot and plugged stuff in and it's working perfectly on the Mac side. Much better than the TPLink adapter I had in there previously. I will say that it cost me ~$75 shipped to Los Angeles, and took 13 days from order date to receipt, via Yoybuy and E-Express shipping. Now to see if it will work as well on the Windows side...

Ouch on the price. I didn't pay that much :\. I'll look at their current pricing and update the post, thanks.

I'll put the driver guide in the post too. Thanks again.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Hmm... I'm just getting going on this... Have an ancient multibeast 10.10.0 install I haven't updated in ages.

Running into some issues, I was having a hard time just getting the bootloader to appear. once it did I installed, but I think my first Diskmaker install was broken, because it wouldn't even recognize the drive afterwards... Giving it another try. I'll update as I get going...

Running a
ga-z87x-ud7 th
nVidia 780x & Titan

Edit:

Also, Is there something I'm not getting about this method? How does the boot-loader get installed to the System Drive?

Armagnac fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 2, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Hmm... I'm just getting going on this... Have an ancient multibeast 10.10.0 install I haven't updated in ages.

Running into some issues, I was having a hard time just getting the bootloader to appear. once it did I installed, but I think my first Diskmaker install was broken, because it wouldn't even recognize the drive afterwards... Giving it another try. I'll update as I get going...

Running a
ga-z87x-ud7 th
nVidia 780x & Titan

Edit:

Also, Is there something I'm not getting about this method? How does the boot-loader get installed to the System Drive?

Walk me through what you've done so far? Have you installed the bootloader to a USB stick (that's the first step)

Do you have 'show EFI drives' (paraphrasing) disabled in your BIOS? That's probably the problem - take a photo of your F12 boot selection menu and post it.

The bootloader doesn't get installed like Chameleon (though it can be, but let's avoid that if at all possible as Clover support for it isn't great) it just gets run as an EFI app. EFI bioses (you have one) detect that X drive has a an EFI file on it and boots it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 2, 2015

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
I installed the boot loader, and I'm getting the UEFI usb sticks to load...

When I select the 10.10.4 boot disk from the clover bootloader, it gets stuck at this screen.

https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/2/AA...960&size_mode=2

I followed your instructions to a T.

I got to a boot screen once, and managed to install, but the drive I installed to never managed to boot, so I started over completely.

Now I can't even get to the OSX boot screen, to install. Two other quick questions; do I need to turn off nVidia drivers with the regular GTX 780? And what does installing the FakeSMC.kext into those folders do? wasn't clear on it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

I installed the boot loader, and I'm getting the UEFI usb sticks to load...

When I select the 10.10.4 boot disk from the clover bootloader, it gets stuck at this screen.

https://photos-5.dropbox.com/t/2/AA...960&size_mode=2

I followed your instructions to a T.

I got to a boot screen once, and managed to install, but the drive I installed to never managed to boot, so I started over completely.

Now I can't even get to the OSX boot screen, to install. Two other quick questions; do I need to turn off nVidia drivers with the regular GTX 780? And what does installing the FakeSMC.kext into those folders do? wasn't clear on it.

That image 403s. Could you reupload it to imgur?

The GTX 780 needs the webdriver - you need to boot with nv_disable=1. That's probably your problem - you'll get a black screen if you need the web driver. Add nv_disable=1 to your config.plist (or enter it at 'Config' page in the Clover main menu) and you'll be good.

FakeSMC is required to boot - it contains the Apple decryption key OS X requires (how Apple tells if you are a Mac or a generic X86 box) to function.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 2, 2015

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Hmmm... I've had nv_disable=1 on from the get go...

Thanks for your help on this btw.

Hmm... Do Chameleon & Clover need different BIOS settings? Chameleon is booting just fine when I slot in that SSD.

This is the screen I keep getting caught at:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Hmmm... I've had nv_disable=1 on from the get go...

Thanks for your help on this btw.

Hmm... Do Chameleon & Clover need different BIOS settings? Chameleon is booting just fine when I slot in that SSD.

This is the screen I keep getting caught at:

That screen is very early to die. Not sure yet. You should be (and must) select the UEFI version of your USB drive. I also only see one USB drive in that menu - do you have Clover and the OS X installer on separate drives?

Your Clover install isn't quite right either - you either didn't generate a config.plist the way I said to (your settings are all wrong - wrong theme, wrong bootargs, all of it) or something. Doing it the way I said is very important - the default config.plist will cause you to hang exactly where you are hanging, except that you seem to have the DSDT patches off judging by the 0x0 values. So you shouldn't be hanging.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jul 3, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

wrong theme

I am now betting the instructions about the theme are the equivalent of Van Halen's brown M&M clause to make sure that people read through the whole thing :v:

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Started from scratch again (3rd try), to see if I did something wrong, now I can select the options, and it starts to boot, and I get a apple logo. Got the Green/Black theme (actively skipped it on my second go) I get to a grey apple screen, and then a beachball. I'm not getting to the point that I can install. Weird.

I think on the 2nd try I missed a step though. I'll give it another go again.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

I am now betting the instructions about the theme are the equivalent of Van Halen's brown M&M clause to make sure that people read through the whole thing :v:

Hah! I picked black_green both as it is the best of the bunch (still awful, but less so) and is not a default, so I know if the config.plist is actually being loaded/person followed instructions.

Armagnac posted:

Started from scratch again, to see if I did something wrong, now I can select the options, and it starts to boot, and I get a apple logo. I get to a grey apple screen, and then a beachball. I'm not getting to the point that I can install. Weird.

You're supposed to boot in verbose, as per the instructions. If you're seeing Apple logos, that's not verbose. Are you nv_disable=1? Please go and make a config.plist and place it in the right spot - you have rootless=0 and there is no reason you should have that on a Yosemite install. It looks autogenerated.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 3, 2015

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Missed how to do the verbose from the clover menu. Not that it would have helped... I think I somehow missed something on my 2nd and 3rd tries. I did make a plist and save it... I just don't know what went wrong.

Ok, I threw in my 1st try at a clover bootloader in as a whim, since I got to the boot from there, and somehow it worked and the others didn't. I guess I was being more careful with all the settings on my first try, and I wasn't really understanding what was going on after that point, so I got confused, having a weird usb port & an finicky old thumb drive that only sometimes works on my box doesn't make troubleshooting easy either. However the sata SSD slot to plu/unplug my old install on a whim *is* super useful...

So I've got my install on, I'm now onto finding the right kext's and installing clover on this new drive...

Quick question about my Intel NIC. Should I be using the intel kext I found on Tonymac or the newer IntelMausiEthernet I found on insanelymac? It's hard to figure out. Gigabyte's site just says it's a . I ask because on my older unibeast build, it would occasionally drop connection on a long upload, but that was from an old multibeast. I guess I'll find out.

Just want to give you another big shout out, enMTW, because if you weren't replying to this thread, I think I may have given up... So thanks again.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Missed how to do the verbose from the clover menu. Not that it would have helped... I think I somehow missed something on my 2nd and 3rd tries. I did make a plist and save it... I just don't know what went wrong.

Ok, I threw in my 1st try at a clover bootloader in as a whim, since I got to the boot from there, and somehow it worked and the others didn't. I guess I was being more careful with all the settings on my first try, and I wasn't really understanding what was going on after that point, so I got confused, having a weird usb port & an finicky old thumb drive that only sometimes works on my box doesn't make troubleshooting easy either. However the sata SSD slot to plu/unplug my old install on a whim *is* super useful...

So I've got my install on, I'm now onto finding the right kext's and installing clover on this new drive...

Quick question about my Intel NIC. Should I be using the intel kext I found on Tonymac or the newer IntelMausiEthernet I found on insanelymac? It's hard to figure out. Gigabyte's site just says it's a . I ask because on my older unibeast build, it would occasionally drop connection on a long upload, but that was from an old multibeast. I guess I'll find out.

Just want to give you another big shout out, enMTW, because if you weren't replying to this thread, I think I may have given up... So thanks again.

You hit space on a selected drive. If I didn't include that in the posts, I'll add it. No big deal with the plist, just trying to help. Gotta figure out what's happening with the plist or lots of things are not going to work right.

IntelNic: try the newer kext. If it works, great. If not, use the older one. Should support your NIC. The new kext fixes the weird dropping connection issue.

Happy to help!

Demie
Apr 2, 2004
Was running 10.10.3, upgraded 10.10.4 twith App Store.

Rebooted, kernel panic. Booted from a Unibeast USB, reinstalled FakeSMC and Realtek HDA. And Chameleon for good measure. Fixed permissions, let the Nvidia updater run.

Booted fine, update complete. Risked it with no backup.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Demie posted:

Was running 10.10.3, upgraded 10.10.4 twith App Store.

Rebooted, kernel panic. Booted from a Unibeast USB, reinstalled FakeSMC and Realtek HDA. And Chameleon for good measure. Fixed permissions, let the Nvidia updater run.

Booted fine, update complete. Risked it with no backup.

Chameleon?! You should migrate off that pronto. You shouldn't be KPing on an update like that.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Alright! UP AND GOING!

Used the old intelE1000 kext for now, as I didn't want to create an insanely mac account at 12:30am on a thursday.

Ok, so the whole EFI as a hidden drive thing is super cool, but another thing I didn't get at first.

So far I'm down to 2 issues:

1) iMessaging, which was the thing I was the most excited about fixing. I'm able to send and receive phone calls & facetimes but strangely only *send* text messages, I can't receive texts or send or receive iMessages... Should I just generate a new Serial? I *do* have several older macs lying around (a Tower I use as my swap-in backup incase my current machine dies, and a really old MBP), is it worth it to get it? I do have payment attached to my iCloud.

2) Is there a way to get clover to autoboot without hitting enter? My computer sits in a separate room from my displays and keyboard and my USB hubs don't let me hit enter from my keyboard on my desk.

Gonna install all my software tomorrow, and hopefully everything will work!

Also, since my dell monitor doubles USB Speaker/Mic, and I send audio through that or my bmd decklink I didn't even bother with installing the Audio kexts. might fiddle with that at some point but didn't seem worth the trouble.

Armagnac fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jul 3, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Alright! UP AND GOING!

Used the old kext for now, as I didn't want to create an insanely mac account at 12:30am on a thursday.

Ok, so the whole EFI as a hidden drive thing is super cool, but another thing I didn't get at first.

So far I'm down to 2 issues:

1) iMessaging, which was the thing I was the most excited about fixing. I'm able to send and receive phone calls & facetimes but strangely only *send* text messages, I can't receive texts or send or receive iMessages... Should I generate a new Serial? I *do* have several older macs lying around (a Tower I use as my swap-in backup incase my current machine dies, and a really old MBP), is it worth it to get it? I do have payment attached to my iCloud.

2) Is there a way to get clover to autoboot without hitting enter? My computer sits in a separate room from my displays and keyboard and my USB hubs don't let me hit enter from my keyboard on my desk.

1. Very weird. iMessage does the same verification thing as FaceTime. Text messaging isn't linked to Apple's end (your phone just gets told 'do X' and does it) so that kind of makes sense. What kind of error do you get? Describe what happens.

Using valid values from a real Mac that will never use iMessage is a surefire way to have iMessage work.

2. Yes, but I actually do not know how to set that off hand. I believe it is the 'timeout value' but I've never used it. EDIT: Yep http://clover-wiki.zetam.org/Configuration/Boot

enMTW fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 3, 2015

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

enMTW posted:

Chameleon?! You should migrate off that pronto. You shouldn't be KPing on an update like that.

Yeah my app store upgrade with Clover was 1) Click update 2) A minute later it rebooted and everything worked

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Hmmm...

Ok, so trying to fix my two issues haven't really been fruitful so far.

So I set my boot to this:

But it still doesn't automatically boot, am I missing something? I tried Timeout 0 & Fast as well, to no avail.

Also, overnight, my Messages app completely stopped working and will no longer send texts either... But FaceTime works fine, and I can receive/send phone calls, though the microphone on just phone calls doesn't work. But only on phone calls!

Edit:

Just tried to fix my Messages using this guide: http://www.reddit.com/r/hackintosh/comments/2wohwn/getting_imessage_working_on_10102_generating/
and I think I haven't helped anything...

So upon further testing, I send & receive texts in messages... but not iMessages. I can even tell that someone is formulating a response (I get the ellipses bubble) , but if they send through imessage, it never gets to my messages app.

Should I try it again with a new serial # & UUID? or will that start to raise red flags with my iCloud account? (Also I'm sure my network is connected at en0, double checked that...)

Armagnac fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 3, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Hi. Sorry, was out all day.

What I'd like to do is next is talk to you. I think I know what the problem is, but it's hard to help when I'm flying blind. What we should do, if you are up for it, is a Skype call some time tomorrow. I can ask questions, I can connect to a View Only TeamViewer session and figure it out.

I think I know what's wrong, but solving requires validating that everything else (The Clover installation, etc) is good. Which I can only do if I can see everything. :)

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The new write up is very nice. I have one question though, why do you suggest making two USB drives for install instead of single Clover USB installer drive?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It doesn't work. Modifying the installer in anyway breaks it. Installing Clover on it is modifying it which breaks it. It's not a suggestion.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Thanks! you can skype me at goodpostny. I'll be around until 4pm EST.

WIIIEEEEERD. Messages just started working mystically. I'd love to know what I did to get it to work... because it definitely wasn't working when I left the house last night.

Armagnac fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 4, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Djarum posted:

The new write up is very nice. I have one question though, why do you suggest making two USB drives for install instead of single Clover USB installer drive?
Thank you! Still got lots more to add - table of contents, recommended hardware, updated list of cards that need the WebDriver, more.

As far as two drives go, I echo what the other guy said. You can't modify the OS X Installer drive without breaking it, unless you seriously know what you're doing. It is possible to modify the installer and not break it, but that requires so much hacking around...it's outside the scope of this guide.

Armagnac posted:

Thanks! you can skype me at goodpostny. I'll be around until 4pm EST.

WIIIEEEEERD. Messages just started working mystically. I'd love to know what I did to get it to work... because it definitely wasn't working when I left the house last night.

Excellent. I'll skype you in a bit, not home at the moment.

Sounds like Clover finally started loading the config.plist correctly. I'll still want to take a look and see what was wrong.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 4, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I'm not going to be available by 4, but I can help tonight/tomorrow.

Big changes for this thread coming, stay tuned!

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

oohhboy posted:

It doesn't work. Modifying the installer in anyway breaks it. Installing Clover on it is modifying it which breaks it. It's not a suggestion.

Just to comment, I used the createinstallmedia command to create my usb Yosemite installer. Then I installed clover to that same usb drive and had zero problems installing OSX on two very different systems. (An Intel NUC haswell and my z77 ivy bridge system)

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

lignicolos posted:

Just to comment, I used the createinstallmedia command to create my usb Yosemite installer. Then I installed clover to that same usb drive and had zero problems installing OSX on two very different systems. (An Intel NUC haswell and my z77 ivy bridge system)

Huh. I'll go validate that and give it a go. Another user I was testing the guide with said that modifying the USB drive broke the Install drive, so I put that line in. I never thought to test it, I always used multiple drives. I'll test and update, thanks.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know, for mystery reasons it never worked for me. Two sticks is fool proof way, but if it worked for you then that's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

enMTW posted:

Huh. I'll go validate that and give it a go. Another user I was testing the guide with said that modifying the USB drive broke the Install drive, so I put that line in. I never thought to test it, I always used multiple drives. I'll test and update, thanks.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/143697-easy-yosemite-clover-usb-installer.html

That is the guide I followed the very first time

• Locked thread