Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

lignicolos posted:

Just to comment, I used the createinstallmedia command to create my usb Yosemite installer. Then I installed clover to that same usb drive and had zero problems installing OSX on two very different systems. (An Intel NUC haswell and my z77 ivy bridge system)

Yeah this is what I have always done, which is why I asked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The problem with that guide is that it assumes you are already good with Clover which defeats the purpose of the guide. If you followed that guide and don't know what EFI is, you would create an EFI folder in root to put all your stuff it which breaks the installer even after you delete the folders.

The current guide is meant to work for people who aren't familiar with Clover or only know Chameleon and cover most of the contingencies. It's meant to be as foolproof as possible with some of the steps acting as failure checkpoints. It also gets you a little familiar with Clover.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
I'll be around tomorrow until about 5?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

I'll be around tomorrow until about 5?

Works for me. I'll add you in the morning.

oohhboy posted:

The problem with that guide is that it assumes you are already good with Clover which defeats the purpose of the guide. If you followed that guide and don't know what EFI is, you would create an EFI folder in root to put all your stuff it which breaks the installer even after you delete the folders.

The current guide is meant to work for people who aren't familiar with Clover or only know Chameleon and cover most of the contingencies. It's meant to be as foolproof as possible with some of the steps acting as failure checkpoints. It also gets you a little familiar with Clover.

I can still make it simple and remove the need for two sticks. Not a big deal, just some writing and validation on my end.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That would work, have the two stick method as a fall back.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Update: Armagnac's iMessage problem was that, Clover did not generate the RT Variables, for whatever reason. If you can't sign into iMessage, make sure you see 'UseMacAddr0' under RT Variables (Clover Configurator). If not, hit the down arrow and select it. You also need an MLB value (should get generated on the fly, but in case not...), hit the 'Calculate' button for that.

Problem solved, I think.

This is the kind of situation that PlistEdit Pro is useful for. If you have a known-good Config.plist (coming to the guide soon) you can just compare the two and play spot the difference. Working on a thread update now.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 5, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

One last flaky thing about my machine I've never bothered to address but I'm curious if you folks have run into this.

The ethernet port will only ever show as "connected" if there was a hot cable plugged in at boot time. If I unplug the cord or power off my router, OS X still shows the port as disconnected even if the ethernet cord becomes hot again. I have to reboot to use the network.

Using the built-in ports on a GA-Z87N-WIFI; OS X detects it as a "Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet" according to system profiler and I've got the AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext in my Clover kexts path.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

One last flaky thing about my machine I've never bothered to address but I'm curious if you folks have run into this.

The ethernet port will only ever show as "connected" if there was a hot cable plugged in at boot time. If I unplug the cord or power off my router, OS X still shows the port as disconnected even if the ethernet cord becomes hot again. I have to reboot to use the network.

Using the built-in ports on a GA-Z87N-WIFI; OS X detects it as a "Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet" according to system profiler and I've got the AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext in my Clover kexts path.

I use that kext! It's pretty great. I used to just use a natively supported NIC but the kext for E2200 is so good there is almost no point.

Are you running the latest version? http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/313-atherose2200ethernet/ . If not, I got no clue.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Thanks for the guide! Managed to get my first Hackintosh up and running yesterday.

I've noticed an issue with audio, however. I can listen to music more or less indefinitely, but if I ever stop playing music after a couple of hours of uptime my audio will die and won't output anything again until I restart or sleep my PC (mac?). Any thoughts? Using onboard audio with a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (ALC898).

EDIT: Okay, now it looks like i'm not getting any audio after sleep ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sphyre fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 6, 2015

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

enMTW posted:

Update: Armagnac's iMessage problem was that, Clover did not generate the RT Variables, for whatever reason. If you can't sign into iMessage, make sure you see 'UseMacAddr0' under RT Variables (Clover Configurator). If not, hit the down arrow and select it. You also need an MLB value (should get generated on the fly, but in case not...), hit the 'Calculate' button for that.

Problem solved, I think.

This is the kind of situation that PlistEdit Pro is useful for. If you have a known-good Config.plist (coming to the guide soon) you can just compare the two and play spot the difference. Working on a thread update now.

Make sure that once you do this, you reboot whatever router you're working off of... I went a little crazy thinking that I had broken my internet kexts somehow, even though we didn't touch them. I think it was my router getting confused from my new mac address...

Still unable to get the autoboot sequence working though... Which is quite strange.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sphyre posted:

Thanks for the guide! Managed to get my first Hackintosh up and running yesterday.

I've noticed an issue with audio, however. I can listen to music more or less indefinitely, but if I ever stop playing music after a couple of hours of uptime my audio will die and won't output anything again until I restart or sleep my PC (mac?). Any thoughts? Using onboard audio with a Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H (ALC898).

EDIT: Okay, now it looks like i'm not getting any audio after sleep ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'll look into this and post an answer soon. Sleep is complicated, it breaks things on some boards. May have a fix.

EDIT: It's a known issue with your board. Two workarounds. The first one *may* work, the second one will work but is less clean.

1. Go into Clover Configurator, load your Config.plist, Go to Devices, Hit 'ResetHDA' under Audio. Save and reboot. Done!

2. A workaround is to use the ResetHDA script, which will bring AppleHDA back up after sleep. https://github.com/cliffom/appleHDAReset/releases

Armagnac posted:

Make sure that once you do this, you reboot whatever router you're working off of... I went a little crazy thinking that I had broken my internet kexts somehow, even though we didn't touch them. I think it was my router getting confused from my new mac address...

Still unable to get the autoboot sequence working though... Which is quite strange.

That is very strange. Looking into it. EDIT: The problem is likely that the Default Volume (under Boot) wasn't set to the Mac drive. Autoboot (apparently) does not work if the volume is set to 'Last Booted'.

I added the latest version of Clover to the guide. Some big changes (new AMD cards, Broadwell support).

enMTW fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 6, 2015

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.

enMTW posted:

That is very strange. Looking into it. EDIT: The problem is likely that the Default Volume (under Boot) wasn't set to the Mac drive. Autoboot (apparently) does not work if the volume is set to 'Last Booted'.

I added the latest version of Clover to the guide. Some big changes (new AMD cards, Broadwell support).

Just changed the Default Boot Volume to the name of my drive and Voila! Timeout boot arguments are working now.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Just changed the Default Boot Volume to the name of my drive and Voila! Timeout boot arguments are working now.

Yaaaay. Now I can add that to the guide!

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
And... somehow iMessage stopped working (but not SMS's or Facetime). I can see why there are so many frustrated messages across the 'fixes' for iMessage. It seems super finicky, and can just stop/start working on it's own...

Armagnac fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jul 7, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

And... somehow iMessage stopped working (but not SMS's or Facetime). I can see why there are so many frustrated messages across the 'fixes' for iMessage. It seems super finicky, and can just stop/start working on it's own...

I prefer the 'use actual values from a real Mac' method. Never stopped working here. Might write some more about iMessage for the next version of the guide.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jul 8, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Well shoot. I've been running Chameleon for awhile and decided to try Clover by installing it to a usb drive and booting that way. It works for a few minutes, but then the computer hard freezes.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Soo, here's a couple updates with my build:

Sleep will sometimes somehow knock out my internet, and rebooting does not help, I have to turn of the computer for ~30 secs or so and it comes back. I have a feeling it might because I'm using an older kext for my NIC, or something to do with my mobo, as I get weird USB issues sometimes.

Aaaannd. iMessages magically started working again today. I have no idea why. I hadn't changed my config in ~a week.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

akadajet posted:

Well shoot. I've been running Chameleon for awhile and decided to try Clover by installing it to a usb drive and booting that way. It works for a few minutes, but then the computer hard freezes.

Specs?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Soo, here's a couple updates with my build:

Sleep will sometimes somehow knock out my internet, and rebooting does not help, I have to turn of the computer for ~30 secs or so and it comes back. I have a feeling it might because I'm using an older kext for my NIC, or something to do with my mobo, as I get weird USB issues sometimes.

Aaaannd. iMessages magically started working again today. I have no idea why. I hadn't changed my config in ~a week.

Those issues are really weird, not the kind of stuff any modern board should see. Try using the newer kext. See if those issues exist in Windows too.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard
i5-2500K sandy bridge cpu
GeForce GTX 560

I think back when I got this thing I installed some sort of BIOS that was patched to get sleep working in OSX. I also had to manually set a UUID for Chameleon.

It's completely stable under Chameleon, but iMessage and DRM iTunes stuff doesn't work.

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option
The guide is spot on, cheers enMTW. But annoyingly enough the Dell e5420 I'm trying to boot it on refuses to see the Mac OS X installer when booted into clover. Any other system I have can see it and boot from it, just not this laptop. Hey Ho. I guess I'll have to settle with it just on my desktop.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

akadajet posted:

MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard
i5-2500K sandy bridge cpu
GeForce GTX 560

I think back when I got this thing I installed some sort of BIOS that was patched to get sleep working in OSX. I also had to manually set a UUID for Chameleon.

It's completely stable under Chameleon, but iMessage and DRM iTunes stuff doesn't work.

Ah. MSI boards are crap for OS X. Not sure what's wrong, never owned one so I can't be of much help. Strongly, emphatically recommend buying a Gigabyte Z77 board.

iTunes Video DRM should be working for you, it's only a problem on processors newer than Sandy Bridge. iMessage is a crapshoot unless you have genuine values from a Mac.

Lynxifer posted:

The guide is spot on, cheers enMTW. But annoyingly enough the Dell e5420 I'm trying to boot it on refuses to see the Mac OS X installer when booted into clover. Any other system I have can see it and boot from it, just not this laptop. Hey Ho. I guess I'll have to settle with it just on my desktop.

HackBooks: Not even once. (Check if OS X Latitude has a patched bios for your machine)

Lynxifer
Jan 2, 2005
Comedy "Buttsecks" Option

enMTW posted:

HackBooks: Not even once. (Check if OS X Latitude has a patched bios for your machine)

P.freaking much. I had a Dell Mini 9 that ran 10.6 flawlessly and it was a great experience. I'm just sad I can't have that level of functionality now.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Lynxifer posted:

P.freaking much. I had a Dell Mini 9 that ran 10.6 flawlessly and it was a great experience. I'm just sad I can't have that level of functionality now.

Unless a wide base of people use one specific machine (for instance: Mini 9, some HP ProBooks, MSI Wind) HackBooks are a terrible experience. Gigabyte predictably makes some pretty compatible laptops too, but one must have a HackBook, get the HP ProBook everyone uses.

Will probably toss advice along these lines in an updated guide.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 14, 2015

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

Ah. MSI boards are crap for OS X. Not sure what's wrong, never owned one so I can't be of much help. Strongly, emphatically recommend buying a Gigabyte Z77 board.

Nah. Next time I need to upgrade this computer I'll just get a retinal iMac. Hopefully by that time gen 2 will be out.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

akadajet posted:

Nah. Next time I need to upgrade this computer I'll just get a retinal iMac. Hopefully by that time gen 2 will be out.

A Z77 Gigabyte board is maybe $80 at this point, the 5k iMac is $2,500. I don't see the relation between the two purchases, but ok. If Chameleon works on your board, keep using that. :(

mewse
May 2, 2006

enMTW posted:

A Z77 Gigabyte board is maybe $80 at this point, the 5k iMac is $2,500. I don't see the relation between the two purchases, but ok. If Chameleon works on your board, keep using that. :(

If you've never spent 31 times the money to prove a point before, I don't know what to tell you

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've got a successful dualboot osx/windows 8.1 install working with clover installed to the ESP.

There were certain files needed for my ASUS Z97-A motherboard that took a while to find.

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=50 <- This guy seemed to have compiled support files (ethernet/audio kexts, SSDT.aml, clover config plist) for all of the haswell boards; asus msi gigabyte asrock.

I can't believe how far this stuff has come and how easy it is now (using the official installer natively!) No more distros by some random russian dude, each incremental update completely devastating your install, I even got hdmi audio working and display switching working through a home theater receiver. This owns so hard.

A question,
If i have overclocking settings (upped core ratio, automatic voltage settings) in the BIOS, those settings stay in effect when I boot OSX, (or /any/ OS for that matter), right?

I only care about CPU (not GPU) OC but I was wondering if anyone knew a way I can validate these BIOS settings inside of OSX so I can see the turbo frequency stepping thing is working correctly?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

:shrug: I'm not doing it until this computer starts showing it's age. The hackintosh thing was helpful for transitioning from Windows but I'd like to have the real deal at some point.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

akadajet posted:

:shrug: I'm not doing it until this computer starts showing it's age. The hackintosh thing was helpful for transitioning from Windows but I'd like to have the real deal at some point.

Yeah, I get that. Perfectly reasonable. If I find some time today, I'll make a patched BIOS for your board that will fix your Clover issues.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Incomplete Fish posted:

I've got a successful dualboot osx/windows 8.1 install working with clover installed to the ESP.

There were certain files needed for my ASUS Z97-A motherboard that took a while to find.

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=50 <- This guy seemed to have compiled support files (ethernet/audio kexts, SSDT.aml, clover config plist) for all of the haswell boards; asus msi gigabyte asrock.

I can't believe how far this stuff has come and how easy it is now (using the official installer natively!) No more distros by some random russian dude, each incremental update completely devastating your install, I even got hdmi audio working and display switching working through a home theater receiver. This owns so hard.

A question,
If i have overclocking settings (upped core ratio, automatic voltage settings) in the BIOS, those settings stay in effect when I boot OSX, (or /any/ OS for that matter), right?

I only care about CPU (not GPU) OC but I was wondering if anyone knew a way I can validate these BIOS settings inside of OSX so I can see the turbo frequency stepping thing is working correctly?

RampageDev is great for exotic/Xeon boards. Should probably toss a link to his stuff in the OP.

Yeah! The days of distros are long behind us.

RE Overclocking: Yes, it should. The SSDT needs to be regenerated but Clover does that on the fly. Intel Power Gadget can show the frequency. https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-power-gadget/

If the frequency is wrong, delete the SSDT and try again. If that doesn't work, open Config.plist in Clover Configurator and go to the CPU tab. Take a screenshot and post it here for help.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 15, 2015

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hey thanks for your quick reply! As soon as I am able, I will try out your suggestions and edit back in my results or make a new post if i need some more help.

Thanks a lot! This thread is a great resource.

edit: power gadget shows the correct max frequency although the scaling is really aggressive, however it works good enough to not warrant fixing. Thanks again for your help!

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 15, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Incomplete Fish posted:

edit: power gadget shows the correct max frequency although the scaling is really aggressive, however it works good enough to not warrant fixing. Thanks again for your help!

No problem!

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Hrm, this doesn't seem as bad as I remember it being. Will have to see if Win10 fixes some issues I'm having. Otherwise time to hackintosh the HTPC. Looks like most of the issues with BRIX Pro i5 have been sorted now. Thanks for writing all this up!

Miley Virus
Apr 9, 2010

I'm considering trying to get a Hackintosh working on my next build. Would it be feasible to have a Windows install on one SSD and an OSX install on another, dual booting between them with a common 3.5" data drive formatted as NTFS?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Dumb question: If I'm using Clover, do I have to continue to worry about updating kexts via Multibeast, like audio and networking and FakeSMC? Or does new versions of Clover update those kexts? Because when I installed Clover I initially copied a number of kexts from System/Library/Extensions to the EFI drive, and I've never bothered to update them since.

Furthermore, since Tony is insistent that S/L/E is where they should live, it's not like Multibeast would install them where I moved them to. I don't know who is really "right" on that one, either.

EDIT: Any Continuity/Handoff users here, BTW?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 16, 2015

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Miley Virus posted:

I'm considering trying to get a Hackintosh working on my next build. Would it be feasible to have a Windows install on one SSD and an OSX install on another, dual booting between them with a common 3.5" data drive formatted as NTFS?

Yup, this is what I have been doing for years now. I use Tuxrea on OSX to read/write to the NTFS drives, and MacDrive on Windows to read the HFTS+ drive. It works pretty well. I have heard horror stories of drives/data getting hosed from using Tuxrea/MacDrive. I have never had it happen *knock on wood* but it is a possibility.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
MacDrive kept pissing me off but Paragon actually has a free HFS+ driver for Windows 8.

But yeah, I also have Windows and OS X on separate disks.
You can either use the BIOS boot selector to dual boot, or set the Mac drive as the boot disk and then chain Clover into Windows.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Paragon for NTFS & HFS+ has worked fine for me.

Their EXT3 drive support, I've had issues with, but I'm making wierd old linux drives for DCP's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Miley Virus posted:

Yes. If you're installing Windows 7, disable the other (HFS+) drives in the BIOS before installing (bug with the installer won't let you install if HFS+ drives are seen)

Be sure to use Boot Camp/install Windows as PX as opposed to UEFI.

Craptacular! posted:

Dumb question: If I'm using Clover, do I have to continue to worry about updating kexts via Multibeast, like audio and networking and FakeSMC? Or does new versions of Clover update those kexts? Because when I installed Clover I initially copied a number of kexts from System/Library/Extensions to the EFI drive, and I've never bothered to update them since.

Furthermore, since Tony is insistent that S/L/E is where they should live, it's not like Multibeast would install them where I moved them to. I don't know who is really "right" on that one, either.

EDIT: Any Continuity/Handoff users here, BTW?

Nope. FakeSMC never changes, audio gets patched on the fly, networking never changes.

Just put the kexts you use (networking and FakeSMC) in the Clover/Kexts folders. Use the Audio patching tool from the guide instead of Tony's audio patch. Putting kexts in S/L/E is bad as that directory is for Apple only - you'd have to disable Rootless on El Cap, you won't be able to Migrate that install to a real Mac, etc. Bad.

I use Continuity/Handoff!

~Coxy posted:

MacDrive kept pissing me off but Paragon actually has a free HFS+ driver for Windows 8.

But yeah, I also have Windows and OS X on separate disks.
You can either use the BIOS boot selector to dual boot, or set the Mac drive as the boot disk and then chain Clover into Windows.

MacDrive is poo poo, corrupts files and whatnot. Paragon is good. You are right. :0

With Clover, you can use Boot Camp. You can install onto the same drive (Windows 8 and up) or install onto separate drives. The benefit to using Boot Camp is that you can boot your Windows install in VMWare Fusion/Parallels. :)

enMTW fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 16, 2015

• Locked thread