Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nv_disable got the installer going, thanks! Hopefully it all goes smoothly from here.

Edit: Yep that worked. Now to figure out sound again.

Edit2: Got sound working with https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC Everything is good to go now, thanks again!

akadajet fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

akadajet posted:

Interesting. At the moment I'm just running off integrated graphics to try to get it to work.

I have a GTX 750 Ti.

Integrated graphics can be complicated. Turn off the iGPU, turn back on the dedicated GPU and use nv_disable=1. Until you install the webdriver, you must boot with nv_disable=1 or you'll hang at that part.

edit

akadajet posted:

nv_disable got the installer going, thanks! Hopefully it all goes smoothly from here.

Edit: Yep that worked. Now to figure out sound again.

Edit2: Got sound working with https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC Everything is good to go now, thanks again!

Yayy!!!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Latest WebDriver for El Cap. Supports Metal now! http://us.download.nvidia.com/Mac/Quadro_Certified/346.03.02f01/WebDriver-346.03.02f01.pkg

If you normally modify the driver to remove the OS build check, the check is now in a different place. It is in: /System/Library/Extensions/NVDAStartupWeb.kext/Contents/Info.plist

Everything else is the same. Follow the steps in the OP, substituting NVDAStartup with the new NVDAStartupWeb. Set the check to just '15' instead of what it is set to by default - 15A284.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Finally got around to swiping the ROM/MLB/SN from my Mac Pro 3,1 collecting dust. Yay for iMessage again.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

enMTW posted:

You're right on track with 'Gigabyte/Realtek ALC/Intel NIC'. My only thing to add is that Atheros's Killer NIC works great in OS X too.

Are there any good gigabit PCIe NIC's that work natively on Yosemite/El Cap? I've seen a few models but they seem to have some drawbacks like getting flaky under load. I'm using a Realtek based NIC right now that works with a kext but the anal part of me really wants to find something vanilla because it's the only kext I use right now.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

8ender posted:

Are there any good gigabit PCIe NIC's that work natively on Yosemite/El Cap? I've seen a few models but they seem to have some drawbacks like getting flaky under load. I'm using a Realtek based NIC right now that works with a kext but the anal part of me really wants to find something vanilla because it's the only kext I use right now.

This card: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/prestogigpciepro.html

Designed for actual Mac Pros, works great on hacks. Native support, has worked since before Tiger, still works in El Cap.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 4, 2015

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ended up going to his place to do the El Cap install. Didn't use Unibeast and went back to the guide to do it. Had to redo config.plist a couple of times to get it right. Other than fakeSMC only needed to install Ethernet as he didn't need web drivers and had USB sound. The USB storage seems a little glitchy which I guess is the USB 3 bug I been hearing about? Its that or just the stick being a little dirty. :iiam:

That's one person saved from Unibeast. I am going to hold out on upgrading until it's all green.

Metal now! looks interesting from a performance perspective if true. I just hope this means they aren't going to do something stupid like break OGL in favour of metal.

Fake Edit: Just remembered to check for trim.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

oohhboy posted:

Ended up going to his place to do the El Cap install. Didn't use Unibeast and went back to the guide to do it. Had to redo config.plist a couple of times to get it right. Other than fakeSMC only needed to install Ethernet as he didn't need web drivers and had USB sound. The USB storage seems a little glitchy which I guess is the USB 3 bug I been hearing about? Its that or just the stick being a little dirty. :iiam:

That's one person saved from Unibeast. I am going to hold out on upgrading until it's all green.

Metal now! looks interesting from a performance perspective if true. I just hope this means they aren't going to do something stupid like break OGL in favour of metal.

Fake Edit: Just remembered to check for trim.

Always enable the on-board audio anyway, even if using a USB DAC. Some apps (Skype) don't work correctly without audio being fixed.

USB storage weirdness is, likely, the USB 3 crap in El Cap. Steady progress is being made towards fixing that in a user-friendly way. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/308325-guide-1011-full-speed-usb-series-89-keeping-vanilla-sle/#entry2172168 is a big improvement over the previous ways.

Clover is capable of doing almost all of the work required to fix USB 3. Someone just has to actually add the relevant functionality to Clover's auto-DSDT patcher. The only thing a user would have to do is set Mac Pro 3,1 as the SMBios and toss a USB injector kext into /kexts/.

It is true! You can use Netkas's MetalTest app to check. Nvidia won't be breaking anything.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I am checking with him in the morning about trim anyway so I will raise the issues brought up here with him then. As for USB glitch, he can live with it until I can get him a friendlier solution. Any other glitch he runs into is covered by the guide which he can look up at his leisure.

He has hackintoshed before, but before now he had always uses Unibeast or some other turnkey method to do it which results in mystery boxes. Funny enough he didn't know that the bootloader knows about OSX and Windows until I told him.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

This card: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/prestogigpciepro.html

Designed for actual Mac Pros, works great on hacks. Native support, has worked since before Tiger, still works in El Cap.

Hot tip but damnit $50 is at about the price where a cheapskate like me might just deal with using the kext

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

8ender posted:

Hot tip but damnit $50 is at about the price where a cheapskate like me might just deal with using the kext

Yeah. Which Realtek NIC do you have? If I'm remembering correctly, there is a newer/stable kext for current motherboards. If you don't know which NIC exactly (who does) I can get it if you tell me which motherboard you have.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

Yeah. Which Realtek NIC do you have? If I'm remembering correctly, there is a newer/stable kext for current motherboards. If you don't know which NIC exactly (who does) I can get it if you tell me which motherboard you have.

The current NIC really isn't a problem. I have a nice stable kext that works great. I'm just one kext away from having a totally bone stock Clover install with everything working out of box and being anal about it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

8ender posted:

The current NIC really isn't a problem. I have a nice stable kext that works great. I'm just one kext away from having a totally bone stock Clover install with everything working out of box and being anal about it.

Ah I see. Two kexts, if you count FakeSMC.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

Ah I see. Two kexts, if you count FakeSMC.

Aside from having to upgrade the NIC kext and remove the stupid SXVirtual kext, Yosemite -> El Cap was as easy as on my real macs. Kind of amazing really considering my first hackintosh was an nForce4 based one where there was so much kext and kernel hacking happening that I was afraid to install security updates, let alone point releases or an entire OS upgrade.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

8ender posted:

Aside from having to upgrade the NIC kext and remove the stupid SXVirtual kext, Yosemite -> El Cap was as easy as on my real macs. Kind of amazing really considering my first hackintosh was an nForce4 based one where there was so much kext and kernel hacking happening that I was afraid to install security updates, let alone point releases or an entire OS upgrade.

Yeah, we've come far from the bad old nForce era. An nForce board was the last PC motherboard I bought without specifically picking the board for hackintosh compatibility. Never again.

Fun fact: nForce eventually worked very well. Apple wound up using it for the 13" MacBook Pro. But that was way too late.

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009
I've gotten updated and everything is working fine, though I did have a confused moment where I didn't realize that OS X had booted from the installer and thus didn't have the drivers for WiFi or sound. A quick reboot and launch from my normal Clover partition sorted that out.

The San Francisco font looks way better on my basic-rear end resolution laptop monitor than Helvetica Neue did.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

LoSesMC posted:

I've gotten updated and everything is working fine, though I did have a confused moment where I didn't realize that OS X had booted from the installer and thus didn't have the drivers for WiFi or sound. A quick reboot and launch from my normal Clover partition sorted that out.

The San Francisco font looks way better on my basic-rear end resolution laptop monitor than Helvetica Neue did.

:)

It looks way better on HIDPI displays too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shoutout to Sinestro for being totally awesome and spending hours to help me get this running for no apparent reason.

I'm running a GA-Z77X-D3H, which is a fucker of a board to get running on Clover, maybe the only Gigabyte Z77/X board for which it's such a hassle. That's thanks to a finicky EFI/BIOS and the awful VIA VT2021 audio.

The solution was to update to the F16 bios (NOT the beta one,) and, oddly enough, delete all of the other kext folders on my Clover USB aside from "10.11" and "Other". Turn off VT-d and integrated graphics and turn on EHCI handoff and you're good to go. Except, the audio doesn't work. Luckily, I have an external DAC.

Glad to finally be off Chameleon.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
So, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I recently changed my system install drive by adding an SSD, and then turned my old boot drive into a files drive. It's 50/50 with Windows, so the entire HDD device couldn't be completely erased and a new partition table established. This meant that my Clover EFI drive remianed on that device.

Since then, when ugprading Clover I've just slammed through the prompts as usual, and forgot that the installer always defaults to the system install drive. I knew things didn't look right when I went looking into the kext folder and saw nothing, and sure enough, I have two EFI drives on two different storage devices. I see how to at least erase an EFI drive (steps 1/2 here) without completely eliminating the partition, but how do I tell which EFI drive is being loaded up?

EDIT: gently caress it. In the meantime I"m copying my old/functional config.plist and the kexts just to make sure whichever one is "active" things like iMessage etc don't get screwed up.

EDIT 2: And also I guess I don't know how to upgrade to El Cap, since I did what this guide said and it just hangs on the progress bar when booting Install OS X. Adding nv_disable=1 didn't help.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Craptacular! posted:

So, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I recently changed my system install drive by adding an SSD, and then turned my old boot drive into a files drive. It's 50/50 with Windows, so the entire HDD device couldn't be completely erased and a new partition table established. This meant that my Clover EFI drive remianed on that device.

Since then, when ugprading Clover I've just slammed through the prompts as usual, and forgot that the installer always defaults to the system install drive. I knew things didn't look right when I went looking into the kext folder and saw nothing, and sure enough, I have two EFI drives on two different storage devices. I see how to at least erase an EFI drive (steps 1/2 here) without completely eliminating the partition, but how do I tell which EFI drive is being loaded up?

EDIT: gently caress it. In the meantime I"m copying my old/functional config.plist and the kexts just to make sure whichever one is "active" things like iMessage etc don't get screwed up.

EDIT 2: And also I guess I don't know how to upgrade to El Cap, since I did what this guide said and it just hangs on the progress bar when booting Install OS X. Adding nv_disable=1 didn't help.

You can tell which EFI partition is being loaded by selecting the correct drive at boot. So, you have one EFI partition per HDD. So you select the HDD with the right EFI partition on it at boot.

Make sure you upgraded Clover on the right drive and boot the installer in verbose mode. nv_disable=1 and do a verbose boot. If it hangs, take a picture of where it hangs and post it.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I have a USB 3 fix that I like a lot. Anyone feel like testing it with me? Must have El Cap installed, a USB stick to run Clover off of and USB 2 working.

The fix is brain dead simple, very happy with it.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 8, 2015

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Is Hackinstosh'ing a Dell E1705/9400 laptop still a thing, or should I just skip that completely?

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 8, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

eightysixed posted:

Is Hackinstosh'ing a Dell E1705/9600 laptop still a thing, or should I just skip that completely?

What are the specs?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

I have a USB 3 fix that I like a lot. Anyone feel like testing it with me? Must have El Cap installed, a USB stick to run Clover off of and USB 2 working.

The fix is brain dead simple, very happy with it.

*raises hand*

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

What motherboard do you have?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

enMTW posted:

What are the specs?

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/inspn/topics/en/inspn_e1705_sp_spec?c=us&l=en&s=gen
That :v:

Every guide I've seen online is old, plus it says its not for non-tech savvy users. I have plenty of time, and am quite tech savvy. Just wondering if it's still doable, and where to start, since the newest guide is from 2008-2012 :)

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

eightysixed posted:

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/topic.aspx/global/products/inspn/topics/en/inspn_e1705_sp_spec?c=us&l=en&s=gen
That :v:

Every guide I've seen online is old, plus it says its not for non-tech savvy users. I have plenty of time, and am quite tech savvy. Just wondering if it's still doable, and where to start, since the newest guide is from 2008-2012 :)

None of those processors are going to run current versions of OS X. :\

Probably not worth the time. A guide for 10.6 is still probably the best way to get anything up and running on that machine. GMA 950 support was dropped in, I think, Mountain Lion. You can probably get 10.7 booting with Clover, but your GPU may work or may not.

Follow the guide in the OP, using a Clover Legacy Install and not EFI (it's clear, in the settings). Image the Lion installer to a seperate USB stick and try to boot. May work, may not.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Just tested the fix with someone outside SA, worked great. Going to test it with Kitten Smoothie and I'll post it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

enMTW posted:

What motherboard do you have?

GA-Z87N-WIFI.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

enMTW posted:

None of those processors are going to run current versions of OS X. :\

Probably not worth the time. A guide for 10.6 is still probably the best way to get anything up and running on that machine. GMA 950 support was dropped in, I think, Mountain Lion. You can probably get 10.7 booting with Clover, but your GPU may work or may not.

Follow the guide in the OP, using a Clover Legacy Install and not EFI (it's clear, in the settings). Image the Lion installer to a seperate USB stick and try to boot. May work, may not.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably give it a shot this week anyway, just to see what happens. I'm curious :) I'll be sure to report back in!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I pmed you

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

enMTW posted:

You can tell which EFI partition is being loaded by selecting the correct drive at boot. So, you have one EFI partition per HDD. So you select the HDD with the right EFI partition on it at boot.

Can I just directly copy the contents of my working, booting, fully functional EFI drive to the one I created by accident on my new SSD, overwriting everything, and then switch to that? I'd like to just keep slamming through Clover installers in the future instead of selecting a drive each time.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Craptacular! posted:

Can I just directly copy the contents of my working, booting, fully functional EFI drive to the one I created by accident on my new SSD, overwriting everything, and then switch to that? I'd like to just keep slamming through Clover installers in the future instead of selecting a drive each time.

You can do that.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

USB 3 El Cap fix for Gigabyte Z97 boards:

Note. This has only been tested on Z97. May work with other chipsets, may not.

USB 3 on El Capitan is complicated. There is no easy 'one size fits all' solution. Yet. This is as close you can get.

First step: Go to About this Mac - System Report - USB. You should see your USB 3 bus listed with no devices under it. This is normal for a hack running El cap.

Mount your Clover USB stick. To make sure nothing gets broken beyond easy repair, you should test everything in this post on your Clover USB stick before moving the fixes to your EFI partition. Update the stick to the Clover version 3262 or newer. Make sure FakeSMC is in the 10.11 kexts folder. Try booting off it.

Open the config.plist on that stick in PlistEdit Pro. Download this plist: http://enmtw.com/fix.plist.zip. Open it as well.

What you want to do is, inside fix.plist, click the down arrows until you reveal Patches. In your config.plist, hit the down arrows until you reveal DSDT. Drag Patches from fix.plist into the /ACPI/DSDT/ in your config.plist. It should look like this once you are done: http://enmtw.com/img/2015-10-10_14-22-34.jpg

Save and reboot. Go into your BIOS. Under Peripherals, set the following settings:

code:
XHCI: Smart Auto
EHCI Handoff: Enabled
XHCI Handoff: Enabled
Boot back into El Capitan through the USB stick.

Download this: http://enmtw.com/USBKext.zip. Put those two kexts on the USB stick, in /CLOVER/kexts/10.11 and CLOVER/kexts/Other.

Last step! Download this: https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-maciasl-patchmatic/downloads/RehabMan-MaciASL-2015-0107.zip, extract it, launch it. In the menu bar, select MaciASL, preferences, iASL.

Set ACPI 5.0. Close the window. Select File - New. Copy the following into the window

code:
DefinitionBlock ("SSDT-XOSI.aml", "SSDT", 1, "hack", "hack", 0x00003000)
{
    // All _OSI calls in DSDT are routed to XOSI...
    // XOSI simulates "Windows 2012" (which is Windows 8)
    // Note: According to ACPI spec, _OSI("Windows") must also return true
    //  Also, it should return true for all previous versions of Windows.
    Method(XOSI, 1)
    {
        // simulation targets
        // source: (google 'Microsoft Windows _OSI')
        //  [url]http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/E/7/7E7662CF-CBEA-470B-A97E-CE7CE0D98DC2/WinACPI_OSI.docx[/url]
        Name(WINV, Package()
        {
            "Windows",              // generic Windows query
            "Windows 2001",         // Windows XP
            "Windows 2001 SP2",     // Windows XP SP2
            "Windows 2006",         // Windows Vista
            "Windows 2006 SP1",     // Windows Vista SP1
            "Windows 2009",         // Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2
            "Windows 2012",         // Windows 8
        })
        Return (LNotEqual(Match(WINV, MEQ, Arg0, MTR, 0, 0), Ones))
    }
}
//EOF
it should look like this http://enmtw.com/img/2015-10-10_14-29-30.jpg

Hit File - Save as. Change the file format to 'ACPI Machine Language Binary'. Name the file SSDT-XOSI. Put the file in /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched on your USB stick. Reboot.

USB 3 should be working now. System Report should show your USB 3 devices on your USB 3 buses.

-

USB 3 sleep fix:

After you do the above fix, you may (I say may as this doesn't affect every motherboard) notice that USB devices are dead after waking from sleep. To fix this, disable sleep. or....do a DSDT fix. DSDT fixes are hard, annoying, etc. I will be posting a video (since this is hard enough that a video tutorial seems like the way to go) on how to do this today.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 11, 2015

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

New motherboard recommendations wanted. I'm looking to go full size ATX w/ LGA 1150 support. I want full size so I can pick up an official Apple wifi/BT card and have room to drop it in. I don't have any spare slots to use on my MicroATX board.

I also have annoying issues with my current motherboard (GA-Z87N-WIFI) where the onboard Ethernet will basically go dead if the link drops, and not come back until a reboot. So if I reset my router, for instance, I have to reboot my Hackintosh in order to have network again.

Ideally this'd be moot once I picked up the wifi card anyway, but whatever, I want it to actually work right and I'm guessing it's some goofy issues with the motherboard since I'm using the same kexts as everyone else.

I bought this board based on the TonyMacX86 buyers guide back in February 2014 and this is one more strike against that awful site.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

kitten smoothie posted:

New motherboard recommendations wanted. I'm looking to go full size ATX w/ LGA 1150 support. I want full size so I can pick up an official Apple wifi/BT card and have room to drop it in. I don't have any spare slots to use on my MicroATX board.

I also have annoying issues with my current motherboard (GA-Z87N-WIFI) where the onboard Ethernet will basically go dead if the link drops, and not come back until a reboot. So if I reset my router, for instance, I have to reboot my Hackintosh in order to have network again.

Ideally this'd be moot once I picked up the wifi card anyway, but whatever, I want it to actually work right and I'm guessing it's some goofy issues with the motherboard since I'm using the same kexts as everyone else.

I bought this board based on the TonyMacX86 buyers guide back in February 2014 and this is one more strike against that awful site.

Most Gigabyte Z97 boards are good. Here's the one I'm using, if you want to know that whatever works for me will work for you. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4966#ov

The Gaming boards use the Killer NIC, which has a killer OS X driver.

Also good: Gaming-5, Gaming-7, GA-Z97X-UD3H, Z97X-UD5H.

If there is anyone board on http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-september-2015.html#Motherboards that catches your eye, link me to it and I can say if it is poo poo or not. There are moer than a few boards listed on there that no one should buy.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 11, 2015

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I got a Asus Maximus Hero VII that works like a charm. I haven't messed with onboard audio since I have a interface but since it is Realtek I can't imagine there would be a problem.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

edit: removed

enMTW fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 16, 2015

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues
Any recommendations for a reliable USB 3.0 PCIe card?

My onboard USB 3.0 doesn't work at all with my new Samsung T1 :(

edit: still on 10.10.x, will probably stay there for a while since this is an a/v production machine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

Any recommendations for a reliable USB 3.0 PCIe card?

My onboard USB 3.0 doesn't work at all with my new Samsung T1 :(

edit: still on 10.10.x, will probably stay there for a while since this is an a/v production machine

This card works natively: http://www.amazon.com/Cord-free-Inateck-Controller-Internal-Connector/dp/B00JFR2H64

How many ports do you want/need?

• Locked thread