Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Does anyone here have a Z97 board/is running El Cap/wants to test something with me? I have a solution for audio dying after sleep. Works on my end, would like to test it with someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admiraldennis
Jul 22, 2003

I am the stone that builder refused
I am the visual
The inspiration
That made lady sing the blues

2 ports + 20pin (for front panel) is exactly what I'm looking for - thanks!

Interesting that this one doesn't require external power; the other cards I was looking at (Anker, Sunshine-tipway) have molex ports. Any issues with powering bus-powered devices like hard drives?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

admiraldennis posted:

2 ports + 20pin (for front panel) is exactly what I'm looking for!

Just wanted a vote of confidence for Hack' compatibility.

Interesting that this one doesn't require external power; the other cards I was looking at (Anker, Sunshine-tipway) have molex ports. Any issues with powering bus-powered devices like hard drives?

I do not use that card, but I can vouch for it working on a Hack/real Mac Pro, including on El Cap.

I haven't heard of any issues powering bus-powered devices, but I would search the reviews on Amazon. EDIT: seems to work http://www.amazon.com/Cord-free-Ina...ord=bus+powered

enMTW fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 12, 2015

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I'm on an Asus Z97i Plus and GTX 970 but I'm not running El Cap quite yet - haven't had time to figure out why it won't boot setup yet. Probably setting my nvidia flags wrong.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Good news: Apple released new Macs today. One of them comes with Skylake! The machine will come with a custom build of El Capitan. When 10.11.1 comes out, it will be easy to boot El Cap on Skylake hardware.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I built my Hackintosh in May and have it up and running on Yosemite right now, I used the TonyMac guide back then (Unibeast + Chimera + Multibeast). I haven't done much on the computer install wise as I never got around to hacking iMessage to work. I want to upgrade to El Capitan and it seems like people are using clover now (which does seem to support iMessage, which is great). My install is on a 500GB SSD that is partitioned in 2 halves (I dual boot windows). Would I have an easier time just nuking my OS X partition and starting fresh? I don't have any documents or anything on the OS X partition that I care about.

I mainly just want to update and make sure I'm running whatever is going to make everything work and be easy to update going forward.

My basic setup:

Intel Core i5-4590
Gigabyte LGA 1150 H97
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini ITX
Apple Broadcom WiFi + Bluetooth native card.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Ouhei posted:

So I built my Hackintosh in May and have it up and running on Yosemite right now, I used the TonyMac guide back then (Unibeast + Chimera + Multibeast). I haven't done much on the computer install wise as I never got around to hacking iMessage to work. I want to upgrade to El Capitan and it seems like people are using clover now (which does seem to support iMessage, which is great). My install is on a 500GB SSD that is partitioned in 2 halves (I dual boot windows). Would I have an easier time just nuking my OS X partition and starting fresh? I don't have any documents or anything on the OS X partition that I care about.

I mainly just want to update and make sure I'm running whatever is going to make everything work and be easy to update going forward.

My basic setup:

Intel Core i5-4590
Gigabyte LGA 1150 H97
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini ITX
Apple Broadcom WiFi + Bluetooth native card.

Nuking and starting fresh would be smart. I have a brief El Capitan guide a page or two back.

If you run Windows off the same drive, you may experience problems. The way to get that working is to nuke the whole drive, install OS X, install Clover, Use Boot Camp to partition the drive and boot the Windows installer USB through Clover.

Your Windows install may be ok as is (if you installed Windows in EFI mode, it isn't) but it likely isn't.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

Nuking and starting fresh would be smart. I have a brief El Capitan guide a page or two back.

If you run Windows off the same drive, you may experience problems. The way to get that working is to nuke the whole drive, install OS X, install Clover, Use Boot Camp to partition the drive and boot the Windows installer USB through Clover.

Your Windows install may be ok as is (if you installed Windows in EFI mode, it isn't) but it likely isn't.

I believe I used UEFI to install Windows. Losing Windows is slightly more annoying since I have a digitally downloaded game installed on there, but it sounds like things work much more natively now if bootcamp is usable, so it might be worth the hassle.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Ouhei posted:

I believe I used UEFI to install Windows. Losing Windows is slightly more annoying since I have a digitally downloaded game installed on there, but it sounds like things work much more natively now if bootcamp is usable, so it might be worth the hassle.

Yeah. This is the last time you would have to screw around. Boot Camp partitions the drive for you, you boot a Rufus-created Windows installation drive in non-EFI mode (boot it directly through Clover or select it as PX in the boot menu) and install to the partition named 'BOOTCAMP'. Done.

As a bonus, VMWare Fusion can boot that volume inside OS X.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

Yeah. This is the last time you would have to screw around. Boot Camp partitions the drive for you, you boot a Rufus-created Windows installation drive in non-EFI mode (boot it directly through Clover or select it as PX in the boot menu) and install to the partition named 'BOOTCAMP'. Done.

As a bonus, VMWare Fusion can boot that volume inside OS X.

Welp, guess I have a project brewing for the weekend/next week. Thanks for the information, crazy how much it's all changed in the last 5 months...

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Ouhei posted:

Welp, guess I have a project brewing for the weekend/next week. Thanks for the information, crazy how much it's all changed in the last 5 months...

No problem! I'm finishing up the new thread now, writing the stuff for it right now. I cover doing Boot Camp installs in it, so it should be relatively painless for you.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

I fixed audio dying with sleep! Fix works on every Gigabyte board I've tested with so far. Instructions will be in the new thread, which may come as soon as tonight. Finishing up the OP now.

I have bullet points, a table of contents, a video for one of the more complex steps, and so much more. Exciting times.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 13, 2015

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
I just got a Titan X, and my current hackintosh won't boot with it installed... It's not attached to a display, it's just meant to be used as a Compute GPU for resolve... Is this a Known thing? The Hackintosh works fine with the GTX 970... About to do some trouble shooting, but was just going to ask before I delved too deep.

Note: Still on Yosemite.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

I just got a Titan X, and my current hackintosh won't boot with it installed... It's not attached to a display, it's just meant to be used as a Compute GPU for resolve... Is this a Known thing? The Hackintosh works fine with the GTX 970... About to do some trouble shooting, but was just going to ask before I delved too deep.

Note: Still on Yosemite.

Titan X should be working. Do you have two Nvidia GPUs in the machine at the same time? I have not tested that myself but that is a supported configuration.

There was a Yosemite update recently that breaks the WebDriver (the version number of the OS changed). If you took that update, you need to modify the WebDriver to remove the version check.

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
Yup, two nVidia Gpu's at the same time. I shorted out my previous system, and bought a similar Mobo/CPU, and new GPU's to get them working ASAP. May have messed with a couple things. Was hoping to be able to wait until El Cap was stable/working and easy to do a clean re-install of everything.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

Yup, two nVidia Gpu's at the same time. I shorted out my previous system, and bought a similar Mobo/CPU, and new GPU's to get them working ASAP. May have messed with a couple things. Was hoping to be able to wait until El Cap was stable/working and easy to do a clean re-install of everything.

You didn't attach an SLI bridge, right? Are you sure the GPU is getting enough power (try booting Windows).

What motherboard is it/what version of the WebDriver/in the WebDriver prefpane, does the driver show as "Up to date"

Armagnac
Jun 24, 2005
Le feu de la vie.
No SLI, would defeat the purpose...

It's the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH, and I replacing my GA-Z87X-UD5 TH...

I didn't change any part of my clover install and I got a boot, since I was in the midst of production, I just went with it. Drivers were very recent (oldest it could be would be july/august?) if not the latest.

Armagnac fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 14, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Armagnac posted:

No SLI, would defeat the purpose...

It's the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD7-TH, and I replacing my GA-Z87X-UD5 TH...

I didn't change any part of my clover install and I got a boot, since I was in the midst of production, I just went with it. Drivers were very recent (oldest it could be would be july/august?) if not the latest.

Check the version, post a screenshot. I might have a solution. Does the GTX 970 work if it is the only card inserted?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

enMTW posted:

new thread
Yay- glad I checked back here before doing a new install (I currently have Yosemite on an old HDD, time for ElCap on a nice SSD).

Quick selfish question: My motherboard is a GA-H81M-H rev 2.0, ALC887, 3 rear audio ports of which only one is output (can apparently do more channels by combining with the front outputs). Is your audio-after-sleep fix likely to work on it?

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Seven Round Things posted:

Yay- glad I checked back here before doing a new install (I currently have Yosemite on an old HDD, time for ElCap on a nice SSD).

Quick selfish question: My motherboard is a GA-H81M-H rev 2.0, ALC887, 3 rear audio ports of which only one is output (can apparently do more channels by combining with the front outputs). Is your audio-after-sleep fix likely to work on it?

Probably. That motherboard needs HDAEnabler2, if you don't have working audio right now.

I will be posting the thread tonight. It's done, just have to get home and post it.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

enMTW posted:

Probably. That motherboard needs HDAEnabler2, if you don't have working audio right now.
I tried HDAEnabler at first, and it worked but with no audio after sleep. So I'm still using Voodoo.

quote:

I will be posting the thread tonight. It's done, just have to get home and post it.
:dance:

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Seven Round Things posted:

I tried HDAEnabler at first, and it worked but with no audio after sleep. So I'm still using Voodoo.

:dance:

If you are available, I can walk you through the fix now. Unless you wanted to wait until you updated to El Capitan.

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Anyone available to read the new installation/Post Installation sections prior to posting? Would like to know if anything is unclear, etc.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 16, 2015

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Finally.

There is still lots of work to do, tons of editing and whatnot, but I finally posted the new thread. Post any comments/suggestions/etc in the new thread, please. This thread is now dead.

enMTW fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 16, 2015

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

I don't want to poo poo up your new thread with endless "Thanks!" posts, so I'll do it here. :)
Thanks!

enMTW
Feb 19, 2015

Sasquatch! posted:

I don't want to poo poo up your new thread with endless "Thanks!" posts, so I'll do it here. :)
Thanks!

Thank you! Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

enMTW posted:

If you are available, I can walk you through the fix now. Unless you wanted to wait until you updated to El Capitan.

enMTW posted:

Anyone available to read the new installation/Post Installation sections prior to posting? Would like to know if anything is unclear, etc.

Argh sorry, I'd've loved to but I wasn't available. I'll wait until you've finished the "Fixing audio and USB 3 after Sleep" section then install El Cap on my SDD. Thanks for these threads!

• Locked thread