Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I built my Hackintosh in May and have it up and running on Yosemite right now, I used the TonyMac guide back then (Unibeast + Chimera + Multibeast). I haven't done much on the computer install wise as I never got around to hacking iMessage to work. I want to upgrade to El Capitan and it seems like people are using clover now (which does seem to support iMessage, which is great). My install is on a 500GB SSD that is partitioned in 2 halves (I dual boot windows). Would I have an easier time just nuking my OS X partition and starting fresh? I don't have any documents or anything on the OS X partition that I care about.

I mainly just want to update and make sure I'm running whatever is going to make everything work and be easy to update going forward.

My basic setup:

Intel Core i5-4590
Gigabyte LGA 1150 H97
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Mini ITX
Apple Broadcom WiFi + Bluetooth native card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

Nuking and starting fresh would be smart. I have a brief El Capitan guide a page or two back.

If you run Windows off the same drive, you may experience problems. The way to get that working is to nuke the whole drive, install OS X, install Clover, Use Boot Camp to partition the drive and boot the Windows installer USB through Clover.

Your Windows install may be ok as is (if you installed Windows in EFI mode, it isn't) but it likely isn't.

I believe I used UEFI to install Windows. Losing Windows is slightly more annoying since I have a digitally downloaded game installed on there, but it sounds like things work much more natively now if bootcamp is usable, so it might be worth the hassle.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

enMTW posted:

Yeah. This is the last time you would have to screw around. Boot Camp partitions the drive for you, you boot a Rufus-created Windows installation drive in non-EFI mode (boot it directly through Clover or select it as PX in the boot menu) and install to the partition named 'BOOTCAMP'. Done.

As a bonus, VMWare Fusion can boot that volume inside OS X.

Welp, guess I have a project brewing for the weekend/next week. Thanks for the information, crazy how much it's all changed in the last 5 months...

• Locked thread