Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Thanks a ton for the guide, OP! I was planning to use the Unibeast method, but since you provided a good Clover guide I gave it a go. In the end I needed a few extra files and tweaks to get everything perfect. Unfortunately I didn't do so in an organised enough way to be able to reproduce it exactly. One change was to extract the correct AppleHDA kext from Multibeast and put that in /S/L/E instead in order to get audio still working after sleep.

I did get a random reboot at one point, but I've made changes after that and hopefully they fixed whatever was causing that. System seems rock solid at the moment.

I'm still annoyed at the catch-22 of needing a Mac to install OSX. Why can't the Clover installer/CCC/other tools like Unibeast/etc be cross-platform?

One last question: Any way to get AMD HD 5xxx fan control? My 5770 spins up to 40% at idle even though the temps are fine. I can force this down to 18% under Windows and Linux, but I haven't found a way to control it with OSX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

enMTW posted:

No! Don't use AppleHDA from Multibeast! It's patched the same way I show how to do it in the guide, only not automated. You'll lose audio after each system update unless you do it right.
Well, I did it your way first and it mostly worked, but like I said- I lost sound after waking from sleep. If I instead use the version from Multibeast, I don't. :shrug: I don't mind re-installing a kext after updating.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

enMTW posted:

What options are you setting in Multibeast, exactly? Other people are reporting the same sleep problem and I want to get to the bottom of it.
I'm not actually running Multibeast, I just extracted the one kext I needed from its packages and threw that into /S/L/E, replacing the original. I removed the patch settings that had been added in Clover, but I kept the "Inject" parameter in the Devices pane.

(Also under Devices, I disabled "Add ClockID" because otherwise my system wouldn't wake from keyboard/mouse input, and made sure "ResetHDA" was off.)

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

stevewm posted:

It is actually a problem caused by a change Apple made starting with 10.9.2...

OH MY GOD THANK YOU :worship:

Contrary to my previous post, I've still been having the issue with the Multibeast kext. I reverted to using the native, unmodified AppleHDA.kext and the patch in the OP, still has the sleep issue but now I know it's not my fault.

Is there perhaps anyway to use the AppleHDA from a previous version of OS X, before this change? Or maybe I'll try VoodooHDA.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
Well, I just switched to VoodooHDA, and it seems to be working great.

enMTW posted:

VoodooHDA is a real piece of poo poo. I propose not using sleep, since it is bad.
The only issue I've seen is that there's severe mic feedback/hiss from my disconnected mic ports. If I mute them all in Voodoo's preferences pane, it's completely gone. And sleep seems to work 100% (fingers crossed).

Why do you say it's poo poo? I know it isn't as clean a solution as using the Apple driver, but it seems to work great.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

oohhboy posted:

VoodooHDA has never worked for me or extremely poorly and has always been a source of Kernel Panics which makes me pretty drat wary when someone uses them or recommends trying them.
Huh. Well, it's working 100% for me right now. Maybe I'm just lucky with my specific mobo/audio chip combo.

quote:

Chameleon
Yeah, I'm not using that, no worries.

stevewm posted:

The AppleHDA from 10.9/Multibeast 6.0 currently works with 10.9 and doesn't have the sleep issue. However that particular kext for whatever reason does not work with my on-board sound. Just throws a bunch of assertions and no audio device appears.
Only way I can get my on-board working is the Clover_ALC patch method, but of course no sleep. Haven't tried VooDooHDA yet.
Well I won't unreservedly recommend Voodoo, but it's worth trying.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010
My Yosemite hackintosh on my GA-H81M-H is stable 99% of the time, but once a day or so it reboots. It just freezes, screen blanks for a second, then it reboots. Nothing is written to any logs (last entries are from a few minutes before the problem). It often seems to happen while installing something (pkg installers, Adobe installers, or just homebrew and such), but I can't trigger it with any artificial disk/CPU/memory loads.

Now, the disk I'm using for OSX is pretty old and it's certainly conceivable that it could be bad... but none of the disk scanning utilities see it as bad. I'm sure the rest of my hardware is fine, no issues under Windows or Linux.

How can I possibly diagnose this when it's random, unreproducible, and leaves no trace?

(It happens with both AppleHDA and VoodooHDA, by the way. It isn't related to that.)

EDIT: Second, unrelated question: Do the Clover settings I use to boot the installer/the installed system the first time need to be similar to the settings I use for the final system? Or I can just half-rear end the Clover USB's settings and pay careful attention to the final one once it's installed?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

robodex posted:

Usually unexplained restarts with no corresponding log entries point to bad hardware. Could be the machine is overheating and restarting itself? I know you said you tested it but it'd be worth it to monitor your temperatures.
I can run CPU stress tests while staying at reasonable temperatures, so not likely.

quote:

Alternately could be PSU-related.
I recently got a new PSU with a Seasonic OEM that has no problems with intense Windows gaming... so also not likely.

I suspect the drive, since it's pretty old, but there are no obvious problems with it.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

I posted:

reboots
Update to this: I reinstalled, and it hasn't done it since- EXCEPT, it rebooted once instead of waking from sleep. Still no log, but at least it wasn't random this time. I've tried changing a few Clover settings (DSDT "fixes") and haven't reproduced the problem yet.

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

enMTW posted:

new thread
Yay- glad I checked back here before doing a new install (I currently have Yosemite on an old HDD, time for ElCap on a nice SSD).

Quick selfish question: My motherboard is a GA-H81M-H rev 2.0, ALC887, 3 rear audio ports of which only one is output (can apparently do more channels by combining with the front outputs). Is your audio-after-sleep fix likely to work on it?

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

enMTW posted:

Probably. That motherboard needs HDAEnabler2, if you don't have working audio right now.
I tried HDAEnabler at first, and it worked but with no audio after sleep. So I'm still using Voodoo.

quote:

I will be posting the thread tonight. It's done, just have to get home and post it.
:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seven Round Things
Mar 22, 2010

enMTW posted:

If you are available, I can walk you through the fix now. Unless you wanted to wait until you updated to El Capitan.

enMTW posted:

Anyone available to read the new installation/Post Installation sections prior to posting? Would like to know if anything is unclear, etc.

Argh sorry, I'd've loved to but I wasn't available. I'll wait until you've finished the "Fixing audio and USB 3 after Sleep" section then install El Cap on my SDD. Thanks for these threads!

• Locked thread