Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Well shoot. I've been running Chameleon for awhile and decided to try Clover by installing it to a usb drive and booting that way. It works for a few minutes, but then the computer hard freezes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

MSI Z77MA-G45 motherboard
i5-2500K sandy bridge cpu
GeForce GTX 560

I think back when I got this thing I installed some sort of BIOS that was patched to get sleep working in OSX. I also had to manually set a UUID for Chameleon.

It's completely stable under Chameleon, but iMessage and DRM iTunes stuff doesn't work.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

Ah. MSI boards are crap for OS X. Not sure what's wrong, never owned one so I can't be of much help. Strongly, emphatically recommend buying a Gigabyte Z77 board.

Nah. Next time I need to upgrade this computer I'll just get a retinal iMac. Hopefully by that time gen 2 will be out.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

A Z77 Gigabyte board is maybe $80 at this point, the 5k iMac is $2,500. I don't see the relation between the two purchases, but ok. If Chameleon works on your board, keep using that. :(

:shrug: I'm not doing it until this computer starts showing it's age. The hackintosh thing was helpful for transitioning from Windows but I'd like to have the real deal at some point.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Get a load of this:

I tried doing a fresh install as opposed to just booting my tonymac build from clover and ran into the same thing when trying to launch the installer.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

I'm trying to think of what causes this. I've seen it once on a machine of my own but in that instance the installation media was corrupt.

Just curious, but are you involved in clover development?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Just fyi I decided to go ahead and upgrade my motherboard to a GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5.

Biggest hiccup I had was the ethernet driver. I tried dumping the kext from tonymac into the clover kexts/10.10 directory but it wouldn't take. Installing it through multibeast worked though.

iMessage seems to be intermittent unfortunately, I'll dig into that later though.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

Yeah. The MLB and ROM value. Use the serial too, not that it matters (if you use the serial, the 'get warranty information' link in About This Mac will work). Here's an app that will get you those values. http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/278-imessage-debug/

You can use the MLB/ROM values from any Mac you want without altering your SMBios. I use the values from a early MBP with a MacPro3,1 SMBios.

Tried this using values from an old Macbook Air I have. Seems to work.

I was also able to clean up the clover boot menu a lot by disabling "legacy" under the scan settings. I have Windows 10 installed on another drive using UEFI. I get 3 options now: Windows, OSX, and OSX Recovery.

Another note: I was able to make a single USB install/clover using the instructions from TonyMac's guide. I believe the only thing you need to do is select "Install boot0af in mbr" when setting up clover.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I just had an "unexplained restart" a couple of days ago and it ended up being a bad stick of ram. So yeah, test that too while you're at it. Windows has a "memory diagnostic tool" that's useful.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

is the most appropriate tag for hackintoshes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

What version of clover is it; just a standard version or something custom? Linking to a mega.nz is kinda weird.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Any ideas as to what's going on here? 10.10 is working great, but the 10.11 installer reboots as soon as it reaches this point.

I've tried toggling between nvidia and integrated graphics to see if that was it, but same result.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

enMTW posted:

Try nv_disable=1. Which GPU do you have again? That log shows the nvidia driver coming up, which you don't want if you need the web driver.

Interesting. At the moment I'm just running off integrated graphics to try to get it to work.

I have a GTX 750 Ti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

nv_disable got the installer going, thanks! Hopefully it all goes smoothly from here.

Edit: Yep that worked. Now to figure out sound again.

Edit2: Got sound working with https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC Everything is good to go now, thanks again!

akadajet fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 3, 2015

• Locked thread