Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I assume from your report that you didn't have anything out of the ordinary go wrong on an upgrade using Clover? I still get nervous installing from the app store even after many successful upgrades. Old habits from my nForce4 mackintosh days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

Chameleon?! You should migrate off that pronto. You shouldn't be KPing on an update like that.

Yeah my app store upgrade with Clover was 1) Click update 2) A minute later it rebooted and everything worked

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

Heads up to El Capitan upgraders: Sxvirtuallink (also known as the lovely software you install to use USB things hooked up to your Linksys router) will kernel panic your upgrade on boot and make you waste an entire evening figuring it out unless you remove the kext.

On the bright side this hackintosh is now running a fresh new El Cap/Clover install and finally sleeps properly.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

You're right on track with 'Gigabyte/Realtek ALC/Intel NIC'. My only thing to add is that Atheros's Killer NIC works great in OS X too.

Are there any good gigabit PCIe NIC's that work natively on Yosemite/El Cap? I've seen a few models but they seem to have some drawbacks like getting flaky under load. I'm using a Realtek based NIC right now that works with a kext but the anal part of me really wants to find something vanilla because it's the only kext I use right now.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

This card: http://www.sonnettech.com/product/prestogigpciepro.html

Designed for actual Mac Pros, works great on hacks. Native support, has worked since before Tiger, still works in El Cap.

Hot tip but damnit $50 is at about the price where a cheapskate like me might just deal with using the kext

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

Yeah. Which Realtek NIC do you have? If I'm remembering correctly, there is a newer/stable kext for current motherboards. If you don't know which NIC exactly (who does) I can get it if you tell me which motherboard you have.

The current NIC really isn't a problem. I have a nice stable kext that works great. I'm just one kext away from having a totally bone stock Clover install with everything working out of box and being anal about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

enMTW posted:

Ah I see. Two kexts, if you count FakeSMC.

Aside from having to upgrade the NIC kext and remove the stupid SXVirtual kext, Yosemite -> El Cap was as easy as on my real macs. Kind of amazing really considering my first hackintosh was an nForce4 based one where there was so much kext and kernel hacking happening that I was afraid to install security updates, let alone point releases or an entire OS upgrade.

• Locked thread