Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
Are there any problems with the new System Integrity Protection when upgrading to 10.11?

I have a shitload of stuff in /usr/local (and I think maybe /usr), /System (eat poo poo launchd) an edited AppleGraphicsControl.kext, GlimmerBlocker and a few custom kexts I had to compile myself. From my understanding SIP will just shove all that poo poo into the PreviousVersion folder, but I need the edited AppleGraphicsControl kext to see anything on my display, so it's kinda important that it's there, and it can't be injected afaik. Is there a way to disable it before upgrading?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

enMTW posted:

No SIP problems. Clover disables it by default. The problems with 10.11 are related to USB, lots of changes to USB. USB3 breaks by default for lots of people. An easy fix for that will be out in the next day or two.

Your kexts will be migrated out, though. Even without SIP, AppleGraphicsControl would get tossed aside as the installer has a newer version to offer. You should switch to MacPro3,1 temporarily so you can see things (ideally, switch permanently). You can reinstall your kexts after the upgrade.

Great to know, thanks. I'll still be cautious and clone my existing 10.10 install first, but I'll try and upgrade over the weekend (I've been ridiculously busy lately). I still prefer using the cloned MacPro5,1 SMBIOS I'm using since it's seen as being (I guess?) 100% legitimate, but if the AppleGraphicsControl thing becomes a gigantic pain in the rear end I'll probably switch.

• Locked thread