Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
When I did this a couple years ago I was able to install OSX through VMWare onto a physical partition, and when i rebooted with a proper bootloader(it was chameleon back then I think) it worked just fine; Is this still the case? I googled for a little while but only found outdated information.

The only reason I would like to go about it this way is because I want to preserve my windows install on the first partition of this harddrive, and install OSX on the 2nd partition. So perhaps there is a better way to accomplish what I'd like to without my above method?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've got a successful dualboot osx/windows 8.1 install working with clover installed to the ESP.

There were certain files needed for my ASUS Z97-A motherboard that took a while to find.

http://www.rampagedev.com/?page_id=50 <- This guy seemed to have compiled support files (ethernet/audio kexts, SSDT.aml, clover config plist) for all of the haswell boards; asus msi gigabyte asrock.

I can't believe how far this stuff has come and how easy it is now (using the official installer natively!) No more distros by some random russian dude, each incremental update completely devastating your install, I even got hdmi audio working and display switching working through a home theater receiver. This owns so hard.

A question,
If i have overclocking settings (upped core ratio, automatic voltage settings) in the BIOS, those settings stay in effect when I boot OSX, (or /any/ OS for that matter), right?

I only care about CPU (not GPU) OC but I was wondering if anyone knew a way I can validate these BIOS settings inside of OSX so I can see the turbo frequency stepping thing is working correctly?

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Hey thanks for your quick reply! As soon as I am able, I will try out your suggestions and edit back in my results or make a new post if i need some more help.

Thanks a lot! This thread is a great resource.

edit: power gadget shows the correct max frequency although the scaling is really aggressive, however it works good enough to not warrant fixing. Thanks again for your help!

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 15, 2015

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've noticed from the above conversation on dualbooting that the current recommended advice is to use the bootcamp utility. This gave me a lot of grief.

It ended up being easier to resize my main OSX partition in disk utility then, going about installing windows.

The boot camp utility when used to partition/resize the same drive as OSX is on uses a hybrid MBR, which makes the Windows installer very unhappy if you are to install Windows such that it boots from EFI (on that same drive). You end up not being able to get past the step where you choose the partition to install windows while at the same time destroying your perfectly good GPT partition table.

edit: to clarify this only happens if you intend to install windows and osx to the same drive,

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Oh so it was actually my mistake that caused me so much trouble. It was windows 8.1 for the record, I just initially read "bootcamp" and did the install the way I would always do it on my Macbook, without reading the guide. Oops. Sorry :P

It was in fact possible to complete the install this way, I just needed to google until I found someone who had done exactly what I did and how they fixed it; notably setting a protective MBR and doing all of the partitioning yourself before you even run the Windows installer. I am not savvy enough to know the difference that having Window's bootloader alongside my clover one in the ESP makes, but it did require me to reinstall clover again afterward in order for clover to work correctly and have an entry in the bootable devices list in my BIOS again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
edit: figured it out

Incomplete Fish fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 30, 2015

• Locked thread