Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Auriea is creating
Realtime art in old and new media, podcasts, periscopes

Growth
$1,500 per presentation
I will take a drawing workshop in Paris, France and I will take you with me. Let's see all the sights of Paris together.

Flowering
$3,000 per presentation
I will take a drawing trip to Florence, Italy and I will take you with me. Let's immerse ourselves in classical drawing and art history! C'mon, this is the dream! If we get to this point I'll explode.

Pledge $1.00 or more per resentation
41 patrons
I will make a podcast that will be available from my blog at least once a month. And I will blog at least twice a month. This will include travelogue, drawing diaries, reviews of art shows, theory, etc. Thank you, your contribution will support this creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Control Volume posted:

my profession is sea lover. im a lover of the sea. sometimes ill sit down and stare longingly at the sea for hours, and people will see my passion for the sea and be moved, and give me quarters, and dollar bills, and sandwiches
is this a dril tweet

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

John Quixote posted:

Saying you are a guitar apprentice is like saying you speak Japanese (Conversational)

Holy poo poo, this guy is so full of himself he's tongue-bathing the inside of his own colon. I've written some truly pretentious garbage, but I don't think it'd be possible to let your ego get so grossly bloated on lovely indie games to the point you'd actually describe yourself like something off of a self-loathing teenager's livejournal profile. "Doomsday Prophet"? What loving bottle of pills did you dig your way out of, pal?

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

Black August posted:

Holy poo poo, this guy is so full of himself he's tongue-bathing the inside of his own colon. I've written some truly pretentious garbage, but I don't think it'd be possible to let your ego get so grossly bloated on lovely indie games to the point you'd actually describe yourself like something off of a self-loathing teenager's livejournal profile. "Doomsday Prophet"? What loving bottle of pills did you dig your way out of, pal?

"Doomsday Prophet" was so stupid it hadn't registered in my mind until you mentioned it. Christ.

I like how the ultimate Patreon offer is $5000 for him to pull out of the games industry all together, stop writing/making games, etc. Think about it. $5000 was all this guy was imagining making out of the industry. If he had to pick a number that served as a numeric sum of his effort in the industry, even he's just like "ehh, five thou"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

you want to hear a doomsday prophecy? well try this one on for size. video games..... are over.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Next you'll tell me we're all going to die one day or some bullshit.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What's the story about this? Because it sounds pretty hilarious.

Let's travel back in time, to a wonderful era known as the mid 2000s: http://www.somethingawful.com/mmo-roulette/endlessforest/1/

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Yo check this, what if I say books are bad because they have violence in them?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Space Bat posted:

Yo check this, what if I say books are bad because they have violence in them?

Well that depends. Nowadays people will probably jump down your throat for censorship, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what you were asking.

Option A: You're murdering art because violence is an integral part of the human spirit and post-modernism uses violence in books to highlight the flaws in our society. Dada believes that art is already dead due to :siren: WORLD WAR 2 :siren: but you're crossing on their turf so you better back off unless you wanna get cut and have your face dunked into a fountain urinal/urinal fountain.

Option B: You're progressing the cause of humanism and trying to get people to look past their barbaric ways, you are essentially the modern man. And like Modern Men before us, we should, rightfully, throw away old things and ideas. People will probably caution you about the hastiness of your conclusion, partly because they're right and mostly because they like violent books too much to let them go. To this simply reply that the environment is in danger and they could stand to start doing their part. This makes critics scatter away like roaches from a flashlight, oddly enough.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SSNeoman posted:

Well that depends. Nowadays people will probably jump down your throat for censorship, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't what you were asking.

Option A: You're murdering art because violence is an integral part of the human spirit and post-modernism uses violence in books to highlight the flaws in our society. Dada believes that art is already dead due to :siren: WORLD WAR 2 :siren: but you're crossing on their turf so you better back off unless you wanna get cut and have your face dunked into a fountain urinal/urinal fountain.

Option B: You're progressing the cause of humanism and trying to get people to look past their barbaric ways, you are essentially the modern man. And like Modern Men before us, we should, rightfully, throw away old things and ideas. People will probably caution you about the hastiness of your conclusion, partly because they're right and mostly because they like violent books too much to let them go. To this simply reply that the environment is in danger and they could stand to start doing their part. This makes critics scatter away like roaches from a flashlight, oddly enough.
thank you for surgically removing all humor from that post. appreciated.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I always confused Tale of Tales with Tales of Game's. Maybe the two should do a post-game art jam collabo hack.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I got really excited for 2 seconds when I first saw the name and assumed it'd be some kind of generational Tales of X megagame.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

closeted republican posted:

I still don't understand what is happening in the Red Riding Hood game they made years ago. I can either walk to grandma's house with no problem, or get lost in a giant forest that has a billion worthless collectibles that seem to do nothing.

They only make games for gamers. Donkey Kong had lots of collectibles so their game needed lots of collectibles. It's the Ubisoft philosophy of game design. Not enough content? Add more chests with text in them. Still not enough? Add more chests.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

If they thought video game nerds were a tough crowd, I can't wait for them to try to take their amateur hour nonsense to another medium and find real critics. They're gonna get demolished.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Doesn't matter. They won't take any of it on board, or notice, or care.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TipsyMcStagger posted:

It lacks the #1 thing a video game needs to be: Fun.

A reason to play it more like. I mean, Amnesia can be scary but I wouldn't call it fun. Sunset has nothing. :v:

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
People buying Sunset would have actually been negative value because everyone not buying it brought us some entertaining drama.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Higsian posted:

People buying Sunset would have actually been negative value because everyone not buying it brought us some entertaining drama.

What about people who bought it and refunded it? Now I wish I could get Sunset's refund percentage from Steam.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Suck it, art.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Anatharon posted:

A reason to play it more like. I mean, Amnesia can be scary but I wouldn't call it fun. Sunset has nothing. :v:

This is why I say games are "engaging". It bypasses the whole fun/not fun debacle.

Endorph posted:

thank you for surgically removing all humor from that post. appreciated.

anytime.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

One of the questions that has been bouncing around since I was a young child was whether or not video games count as art. During the times of Jack Thompson, it was argued that video games couldn’t be banned, because the first amendment protected free speech. People would then go on to say that video games were obviously protected under the first amendment, because art! By this point, we’ve won that fight. People consider video games art. And then studios like Tale of Tales shut down, and I wonder if we really do care about them as art.

I’m really not trying to blame anyone here. I’m not saying you’re wrong if you claim that AAA games are art, because many of them are. It takes a large amount of skill, talent, and creativity to make games like Skyrim and Grand Theft Auto V. And clearly, unconventional Indie games can do just fine. Gone Home has been incredibly well received, as has The Novelist.

At the same time, do we really give enough attention to the non-conventional games made by companies like Tale of Tales? Gone Home got big as much because of it’s connection with the QUILTBAG community as anything else. That’s not a complaint, and I’m incredibly grateful to the Fullbright Company for making the game. But is it exploring what kind of emotions and thought processes can be stirred up by the media of video games, or is it simply telling a story that connects with a lot of people, yet doesn’t get told very often?

Then again, there’s always The Stanley Parable, which is absolutely playing with the media of video games and discovering what sorts of emotions and thoughts it can stir up. And by all accounts, it did just fine in sales. So why didn’t Tale of Tales’ adventures exploring social unrest (Sunset), growth (The Path) and nature (The Endless Forest)?

At the end of it all, I can’t say why none of the games from Tale of Tales caught on. I found them interesting, and I thought they were worth exploring and purchasing in order to support the creativity and exploration of the media. But I can’t say that “the gaming community” dislikes that idea, because games like Papers, Please and Among the Sleep do just fine in sales.

All I can say is that we’ve definitely lost something with the Tale of Tales moving away from game development, and we are poorer for it.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In light of Tale of Tales closure, Michaël Samyn has started a Patreon called Unfettered Commentary on Video Games and the World. This will fund Samyn's commentary on what he finds problematic about the video games industry at large these days.

"In 2002 I chose to use videogames as my artistic medium. The more I got to know the technology, the industry, the creators and the audience, the less I liked what I saw. I used to be quite vocal about this until I noticed that people seemed to hate me so much that they didn't want to play our games. So I shut my mouth, closed my Twitter, closed my Facebook, and only spoke publicly in diplomatic calculated marketing terms.

Until now.

Nothing much has changed in videogames. And I don't see a bright future for this medium if some radical changes don't happen soon. I am ready to share my views on this and the broader economic, political and social context. I have no commercial interest in the game industry anymore. I have nothing to lose. I can safely bite the hand that was unable to feed me.

But I only care if you do.

A long list of topics I am eager to discuss has been piling up for years. I've had to bite my lip so many times that I'm not even sure if I can still speak. But with your help I will try. I will try to express my feelings in concise articles published monthly or fortnightly for all to see. Maybe this will inspire some to make the many changes necessary to improve the situation. If not I hope it will contribute, however modestly, to the utter annihilation of videogames as we know them.

That would be nice."

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

i thought i was joking when i said his doomsday prophecy was "video games are over" but jfc

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Control Volume posted:

i thought i was joking when i said his doomsday prophecy was "video games are over" but jfc

i hate videogames so much now pay me to talk about videogames

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Heatwizard posted:

If they thought video game nerds were a tough crowd, I can't wait for them to try to take their amateur hour nonsense to another medium and find real critics. They're gonna get demolished.

From everything I've seen, I'm pretty sure this is why they got into video games in the first place.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The video games are over if we do not take immediate action!

I never heard of this company or their games before today.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hey Tale of Tales! All video games aren't over, just yours.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Control Volume posted:

All I can say is that we’ve definitely lost something with the Tale of Tales moving away from game development, and we are poorer for it.

I seriously doubt that. Unless you're talking about that deer AROOOOO troll video then yes you're absolutely right.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Mordja posted:

i hate videogames so much now pay me to talk about videogames

Please, as if the plebes could understand my writing.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Control Volume posted:

Then again, there’s always The Stanley Parable, which is absolutely playing with the media of video games and discovering what sorts of emotions and thoughts it can stir up. And by all accounts, it did just fine in sales. So why didn’t Tale of Tales’ adventures exploring social unrest (Sunset), growth (The Path) and nature (The Endless Forest)?

Stanley Parable was funny. You don't have to give a poo poo about 'narratives' to enjoy it.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Not a Twat posted:

Stanley Parable was funny. You don't have to give a poo poo about 'narratives' to enjoy it.

But was it a real game? Tale of Tales says no.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

BexGu posted:

Here is how Tarkovski would have said it. Каждый " Рокки " Фильм начинается с Рокки проигрыш .

Edit: God damnit meant to edit. gently caress my life.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

im so underground i dont even use the common spellings to russian latinizations

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Can somebody please describe the experience of being in a virtual forest full of man faced deer all mooing at the same time in perpetuity? In Paradjanov or Tarkovski please, my superior brain immediately shuts down in disgust the instant it detects any sort of pop reference.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

BexGu posted:

Wish they emulated Eisenstein instead and just be silent

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Control Volume posted:

im so underground i dont even use the common spellings to russian latinizations

i only watch my postwar, soviet films in the language they were made, no dubs, and also animes

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

It is so quiet out here, it is the quietest place in the worl*a man faced deer runs in and starts mooing*

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Heatwizard posted:

Let's Talk about Tale of Tales' Sunset and Public Funding for Games

Samyn posted:

Previously we had to submit our grant proposals to a film commission. Which was a bit weird but at least they judge our proposals on artistic merit. And they have rejected a few as well. The new Game fund consists of game industry professionals. Let's just say that it's easier to explain games to art people that to explain art to games people

There's also a few rules in the Game fund that are different and less art-minded than those of the Film fund. Like they will only cover up to 50% of your production budget, eg, as opposed to up to 85% if you make a film.

Government support for the arts is sadly dwindling as right wing politicians take control. If we don't want to lose civilization entirely, something needs to be done to support more non-commercial art. The game industry, with its much touted millions of dollars, could easily cause a global cultural revolution by spending a tiny fraction of its budgets on a few promising artists. Maybe some of the more forward looking studios and publishers will start realizing this soon. There's a lot to be gained from expanding the market and improving the social and cultural esteem for games, including dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Just a tiny fraction of their millions on a few promising artists and boom! Instant global cultural revolution made to order.

These people don't know how culture works do they

They don't know how people work do they

• Locked thread